Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Disney buys Star Wars, plans to release Ep. VII in 3 years.

They should do LOTR/StarWars crossover. Sauron teams up with the dark side, Gandalf turns out to be a jedi master, balrogs get upgraded like cyberdemons, etc.

It would be quite a feat to make anything worse than the prequels we have already. I hope Disney release the "original" editions properly ;-)

Dragonsbrethren said:

Star Wars wasn't kidified from the start? Could've fooled me.

Red Letter Media has a few things to say about that.

It would be quite a feat to make anything worse than the prequels we have already.

Well, they could rip up the decades of canon from the expanded universe...that'd be guaranteed to piss off the hardcore fanbase quicker than the prequels ever did. Particularly as there wasn't any canon from novels etc. to rip up from Episode I's time period when it was made afaik, the only thing they changed from the original films was Obi-wan's instructor.

However, I can't think of any Sith lords from the first decade or so after Episode VI...and every Star Wars film has a Sith lord and a lightsabre duel. (can't see that changing)

Precisely...after all, the original films were U-rated (suitable for all) in this country.

Dragonsbrethren said:

By my standards, the "kidifying" happened only in Episode1. Fortunately, in Episodes 2 and 3 they had some in-depth mature themes of lust, greed, arrogance, self-searching, and betrayal.

188DarkRevived said:

By my standards, the "kidifying" happened only in Episode1. Fortunately, in Episodes 2 and 3 they had some in-depth mature themes of lust, greed, arrogance, self-searching, and betrayal.

For me, personally, the "kidification" happened at Return of the Jedi with the scrapping of the wookiee battle in favor of the ewoks, and that all too sugar-coated ending. I'm just glad the battle of Luke and Vader generated an emotional pay-off that felt right.

ANH and ESB, to me, were great general audience films -- they didn't cater to any age in particular. But by the third, action figures were making it huge.

EDIT: Interesting story.

Read it on reddit yesterday.
This sounds as great news to me. I'm no movie nerd but as far as I know Disney didn't f*cked up their last products.
And contrary to what people say over the internet the prequel trilogy isn't worse than the old trilogy.

Look at aimless stromtroopers, ridiculous chewbacca-like creatures in EP6 and other stupid stuff from the old movies.
The Star Wars universe is interesting but the movies itself were never that perfect masterpiece...

Most Marvel movies of the past couple years have been pretty good. If Disney was smart, they would get a few of the producers, directors, script writers to help work on some new Star Wars materiel.

I guess you guys have never heard of Touchstone, which Disney has been releasing many movies under forever. They have never been all about a family experience (although Star Wars pretty much always was in spite of internet nerd delusions). I'm sure that, if anything, the new Star Wars will be better under Disney's direction than Lucas's. They are meticulous about crafting and protecting their brands.

Ralphis said:

I guess you guys have never heard of Touchstone, which Disney has been releasing many movies under forever. They have never been all about a family experience (although Star Wars pretty much always was in spite of internet nerd delusions). I'm sure that, if anything, the new Star Wars will be better under Disney's direction than Lucas's. They are meticulous about crafting and protecting their brands.

Well I guess when it comes down to it for me my gripe with this is that I don't really think there needs to be another StarWars movie. This of course is just my opnion, but reguardless of who makes it, I question the need for it.

Aleaver said:

Well I guess when it comes down to it for me my gripe with this is that I don't really think there needs to be another StarWars movie. This of course is just my opnion, but reguardless of who makes it, I question the need for it.

The last three weren't really needed. Arguably, 5 and 6 weren't necessary (though I'm quite glad Empire came out, and Jedi was a good enough conclusion.)

Honestly, they may as well. The sanctity of them was already torn away when they started up the prequels and the clone wars animated and stuff anyways. I'd rather see more content in the post-A New Hope timelines anyways, so for that I encourage new movies.

eargosedown said:

The last three weren't really needed. Arguably, 5 and 6 weren't necessary (though I'm quite glad Empire came out, and Jedi was a good enough conclusion.)

Honestly, they may as well. The sanctity of them was already torn away when they started up the prequels and the clone wars animated and stuff anyways. I'd rather see more content in the post-A New Hope timelines anyways, so for that I encourage new movies.

Well I think some of the games that have come out over the years have filled in that "post A New Hope" and even beyond that timeline quite well...And there are games that take place way before the time of all 6 movies. (Knights of the old republic) And thats all that I think is needed..A new movie or movies is over board as far as I see it. Again though, thats just me and the way I see it.

Despite the obvious fact that I'm thrilled by the idea of new episodes based on the Expanded Universe of Star Wars, I occasionally tend to imagine what it would be like if LucasFilm was bought by TOEI Animation of Japan and a crossover of Star Wars X Sailor Moon was created. I know that this sounds totally crazy but I just can't resist. I've even made my own little fan-video montage of such a crossover: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqxa64_sailor-jupiter-venus-overthrow-darth-sidious_shortfilms

Aleaver said:

Mainly because I love history, I think a sequel to the original trilogy can actually be fairly interesting with the state that ROTJ left the Empire in.

It'd also be easy to completely fuck it up:
1. Do not rely on old characters -- whether it's Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford et al reprising their old roles, or new actors trying to fill their shoes, leave them totally behind -- as I see it, their stories have largely finished. It's a whole Galaxy, it's not like there aren't other interesting characters with intersting stories to follow.
2. Do not depend on comedy to be the basis of support for the film (ala Episode 1). Light comedy throughout is okay and even beneficial -- the original trilogy certainly has a healthy dose of it.
3. Continue to make the Empire a formidable, albeit collapsing, threat. Killing the Emperor and destroying Death Star II (their most powerful weapon at their disposal) certainly has consquences -- the way I see it, the Empire should be consolidating its forces and trying to strike back harder than before. Conflict ideally will be more intense than it was in the original trilogy (also, do not mistake this with "needs moar special effects"), strategizing from the rebels' side needs to be turned up to 11 at this point. the Empire is at its most dangerous following Episode 6 (at least, it should be in my opinion).
4. Expanding on the previous point, existing planets should be picking sides at this point and desparately fighting for it -- basically I think World War II is an idealized model of how this will play out.

Ralphis said:

Disney owned Miramax for 17 years too, which during that time Hellraiser 4 was released, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, No Country for Old Men, among others. I'm not worried about the Star Wars films getting dumbed down for families any more than they already have. I agree that the films will probably actually be better for exactly the same reason you mentioned; Disney has very high standards for what they release (at least to theaters, don't bother with direct-to-video.)

chungy said:

It'd also be easy to completely fuck it up:
1. Do not rely on old characters -- whether it's Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford et al reprising their old roles, or new actors trying to fill their shoes, leave them totally behind -- as I see it, their stories have largely finished. It's a whole Galaxy, it's not like there aren't other interesting characters with intersting stories to follow.

Why not? They could reprise these actors at their elder ages and put the story in the time of the Yuuzhan Vong. Their ages would match with the times in the books!

www.eonline.com/news/359945/george-lucas-on-life-post-star-wars-ready-to-move-on-to-bigger-and-better-things

Highlights:

Asked how he felt selling Lucasfilm—aka his life's work—to Disney this week for $4.05 billion, the pioneering action-adventure visionary exclusively told E! News tonight that it was "very sad" for him, but it was the result of a decision he made about four years ago, when he first decided it was time to transition away from the Star Wars franchise.

"I have the educational foundation," said the 68-year-old father of three, who has already announced his intention to donate the majority of the proceeds of the Disney sale to educational causes. "I do a lot of work with education and I am very excited about doing that."

"In a few months I will be able to be on my own and the transition will be all over with and I can go do my own thing," Lucas said. "I am a control freak, so I have turned it over to a wonderful producer, [Lucasfilm chair-turned-president] Kathy Kennedy. I have known her for years. She is more than capable of taking it and making it better than I did."

Asked if he would be making more movies like Red Tails, his years-in-the-making feature about an African-American squad of World War II fighter pilots that came out ealier this year, Lucas said he's going "further out than that."
"The ones I am working on now will never get into the theaters."
Party in Lucas' private screening room it is, then!

ho has already announced his intention to donate the majority of the proceeds of the Disney sale to educational causes

A noble decision.

I hate fucking Ewoks.

Aleaver said:

Well I guess when it comes down to it for me my gripe with this is that I don't really think there needs to be another StarWars movie.

That's part of my feeling with this too. I was kind of glad that the movies had been completed and that there were no more. It seemed about right. (Or too many already.)

Part of my disappointment was also that there had been talk of a live action TV series filling in some of the detail between Episode III and Episode IV. More importantly, the rumours had said that it was to be "more adult" in nature. I was looking forward to that because I have long wanted to see something with a more adult depiction of war and whatever else is supposed to be going on in the Star Wars universe. This now seems highly unlikely.

And finally, personally, I don't give a damn what is supposed to happen after Episode VI. Everything I have read or otherwise seen of the EU post Episode VI has been unadulterated fanboy toss punctuated with implausible character ressurections and just general weak stories and "wouldn't it be kewl if" plots in an era of the universe that I don't really care about.