Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Springy said:

Nice, just out of interest what program do you use to create these models?

Thanks. I use 3ds Max for the models and PaintShop Pro for their textures.

Gez said:

1. Get an SVN build of SLADE 3.
  2. Set the original (unmodified) version of the IWAD that you have modified as the Base Resource Archive.
  3. Open your modified version of the IWAD.
  4. Archive -> Maintenance -> Remove entries duplicated from IWAD
Note: this will not affect maps (comparison is harder since they are made of several lumps) or markers (which are empty).

On a related note to this, would it be possible to give Slade a function to add in dummy entries for any vanilla Doom2-defined switches that aren't included in a wad? Choco is harassing me if I don't manually re-add them all to my wad after using the remove unused textures stuff.

Sure. I'll try to think of the best ways to do that, knowing the constraints of general purposeness (Doom II isn't the only supported game; a Boom project might define its own SWITCHES) and stuff. Perhaps not delete textures that are defined in the base resource archive's own texture lumps? Though that won't help if you're building a Freedoom-style standalone IWAD.

In the meantime, you can always include a dummy map which features all the switch textures. Or remember not to check switch textures for deletion. ;)

Gez said:

Perhaps not delete textures that are defined in the base resource archive's own texture lumps? Though that won't help if you're building a Freedoom-style standalone IWAD.

An option to do this would probably be the best solution, and would have many more applications than just avoiding switch issues. Thanks for looking into it :)

DooMknight said:

some screenshots of my new map, which is almost ready. Hope to relase in december...

(I'm not quoting images, so don't call me a dumbass D:)

Wow. Just...wow.

Having a sky with mountains when you already have so many sector-made mountains is weird I think. Maybe the original E4 sky would work better. (so that the mountains would actually stand out) Otherwise, very cool shots. (but maybe that wall on the left on the second shot could use more detail)

DooMknight said:

some screenshots of my new map, which is almost ready. Hope to relase in december...

Holy shit is right! Glad to see I'm not the only one who goes a bit crazy with mapping :P. What format is this for by the way? Once I hit 110K sidedefs with one of my maps, my nodebuilder couldn't compress them anymore and I hit the limit. I'm wondering because it looks like you'd be right at the limit unless your making the map for UDMF or something.

DooMknight said:

[images]

That map needs more detail.

But I for one will play it regardless. Awesomesauce.

Mechadon said:

Holy shit is right! Glad to see I'm not the only one who goes a bit crazy with mapping :P. What format is this for by the way? Once I hit 110K sidedefs with one of my maps, my nodebuilder couldn't compress them anymore and I hit the limit. I'm wondering because it looks like you'd be right at the limit unless your making the map for UDMF or something.

Yeah, the map obviously is in UDMF, initially was in classic format but due to linedef limitations I had to converto to it.

KiiiKiiiA said:

That map needs more detail.

But I for one will play it regardless. Awesomesauce.

The map is not finished yet, so thanks, I will add more detail to these walls.

A couple of days ago I uploaded a YouTube video where I show first 30 minutes of gameplay, is 30-40% of the map.

The video is divided into two parts, here's the links:

Edit: Now the second link work, sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvoX3EdKR7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmCMUC3x5u8

DooMknight said:

The map is not finished yet, so thanks, I will add more detail to these walls.

Darn, and I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic, seeing as there is lots of good detail there already.

*off to watch videos.*

walter confalonieri said:

playing doom 3... a little bit disappointed by the new reverant, otherwise is a great game far now...

A revenant is not a reverend.

DooMknight said:

It's amazing man! I can't find my jaws...

Harmata said:

What's the point of so many linedefs if everything looks square and blocky anyway? I don't get it.

Have you even checked the grid screenshot, that's hardly "square and blocky"

Harmata said:

What's the point of so many linedefs if everything looks square and blocky anyway? I don't get it.

Put these on and look again.

the grid screenshot

Are you kidding me? Why would i judge a map by how it looks in editor?

Nah, i still think that outdoor area looks unnatural, but i take back my remark about "so many linedefs", because i don't know exactly how many of them on those screenshots, i judged too quickly after i read Eris's post. Sorry.

I've seen few first minutes of the first video, and i think that visuals are very good, remind me Quake 2, but rooms are very orthogonal.

Hey DooMknight, is that a female scientist zombie i saw in the video? Kinky.

From what I saw in the first video the map had a really high room-after-room-after-room-after-room factor. Also all the crappy monsters and weapons and sounds turned me off instantly. I wont judge anything before I play it myself though. Looks humongous, and I only watched the first half of the first video. Looking forward to checking the final map out, but I`m seriously going no-monsters if all the random shit-monsters stays.

Harmata said:

Hey DooMknight, is that a female scientist zombie i saw in the video? Kinky.

Not if you're a respectable person. Then again, I have to say that :P

It does look good, though I agree that while I'm all for custom monsters (there's a few of mine in there :D), these seem to have been added without any real rhyme or reason, to the point where it almost seems like the map is being run with a randomizer mod. A bit more cohesion to the enemy placement wouldn't go amiss.

That said, I'm looking forward to playing it. Also second vid is down.

First, thanks for the criticism, really helped me your opinions and encourage me to keep improving this huge map.

For new monsters, the only reason to put in was to give more variety (I think I've added have a pretty decent quality and fit well). Doom has only three human-type monsters, I think this is very poor for a map set in the earth. Perhaps the problem is the way I've added some monsters, using random spawners for each class, for example, the zombieman class spawns three type of derived monsters, rifle zombie, pistol zombie and chainsaw zombie. The same happens with ShotgunGuy, ChaingunGuy and Imp. I can fix it.

This is the list of the monsters added (of course I will give credit to all the authors)

Pistol Zombieman
Rifle Zombieman
Chainsaw Zombieman
SuperShotgunGuy
ChaingunCommando
Slime Imp
Dark Imp
Metal Legs Demon
RocketLauncher Zombieman
PlasmaRifle Zombieman
BFG Commando
Scientists (4 different types)

Which do you think that is out of place? I will erase those not like.

Returning to the map, I saw that someone told me it was too brown, it is true, but I decided to use only doom II textures, I think has a decent set, but 80% is brown. Also like the Quake style that gives the brown.

The room-after-room-after-room-after-room factor (pretty name :P) is only in the beginning of the map, as you see in the video only show little part of map, I keep some surprises, but later when the castle is finished the map becomes fully open, as I did in Europe.wad ("America" is the sequel)

Here some early outdoor screenshots (the begin of the freedom):

Finally I fixed the link for the second video, I put it wrong, sorry for the mistake, here is the link to second part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmCMUC3x5u8

P.S.

Should open a new thread to show more aspects of the map and you can help me to improve it. Also I think this is not the place to discuss my map. What do you think?

P.S. 2

Sorry for my poor english vocabulary I think sometimes it is difficult to understand

Looking good doomknight, hopefully it won't make my laptop cry.

Here's a couple of pics from my current project

Try to ignore any dodgy alignments for now

Very nice architecture mouldy! If I can make one suggestion, it would be to align your GSTONE a bit better ;)