Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miko508

Doom Shareware Boxes

Hello Doom World forum members, I have a question regarding the first boxed versions of Doom shareware.

I recently picked up a couple variations of Doom shareware, and I was surprised to receive one that is so small.

I know the larger one likely came bundled with other software, as one similar is currently on eBay bundled with Wolfenstein 3D.

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Nice find. The smaller box looks to be mail-order sized though I don't know if they were marketed that way.

Thanks for the responses, baronofheck82 & Grey Ghost! I'm hoping to have a copy of the mail order shareware from id.

From what I understand, the mail order shareware version from id is the first official physical representation of Doom.

I know that Doom was first released online, but I'm more interested in finding the first tangible format.

Some argue that id never released a mail order version of shareware. Can anyone shed some light on this topic? Thanks again!

I never wondered what the boxes for the shareware looked like and it's interesting to know that there are different versions of it. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Do you have a clearer picture of the third image as I can't read the text on the back.

NiTROACTiVE - No problem!

Mr. Chris - I've already packaged them back up for storage, but I was able to find this scan: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom/cover-art/gameCoverId,194558/

AlektorophobiA - In my quest for information about this topic, I've come across this video on YouTube. Thank you for posting it for others to see. It also serves as a great reference for what's inside the larger box.

Since we seem to have a consensus on the larger box (came bundled with other games), what's the deal with the smaller box? Is this the elusive mail-order version? Thanks again everyone!

GreyGhost said in a different thread:

"Would be easier to tell if the boxes weren't shrinkwrapped. AFAIK, the smaller mail-order box was used for registered Doom up until v1.666."