Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Just discovered that there are two versions of the "Dave D. Taylor Blues" in Doom2.wad: D_DDTBLU is different from D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3. The latter two are slightly larger.

I wonder what this differences translates to, musically speaking. Is the difference actually audible, if one were to listen very carefully?

Yes! DDTBLU2 and 3 had a MIDI crash cymbal at the very start, the first started just on the MIDI hi-hats

*Last two comments*

There is also a common mistake which strikes in concerning any of them, sometimes the ending ("square"?) sound keeps itself pronounced for about one minute after the sequence of the song came to an end.

Moreover, Mark Anthony Klem's soundtrack Dry Rot is in two different versions in the Requiem MegaWad: the MAP18 one is 2 seconds shorter than the MAP23 one and has some instruments replaced with something else in.

And by the same token, Plutonia 2 features Bobby Prince's "Gutwrencher" from Duke Nukem 3D, however it is different from the one in DUKE3D.GRP. A bell can be heard right at the start in Plutonia 2's D_RP_GUT; which is absent in Duke Nukem 3D's GUTWRNCH.MID.

Other variations, from the Ultimate Doom IWAD:
D_E1M7, D_E3M5 (sizes differ)
D_E1M6, D_E3M6
D_E2M7, D_E3M7
D_E1M9, D_E3M9 (sizes differ)
(I haven't compared any of these by sound, I don't know what the exact differences are)

Also, the E1 music and D_INTER, D_INTRO and D_INTROA, and D_VICTOR appear twice in the IWAD.

Cell said:
There is also a common mistake which strikes in concerning any of them, sometimes the ending ("square"?) sound keeps itself pronounced for about one minute after the sequence of the song came to an end.

Missing note off event, or does it get dropped? (I play with OPL2 emulation most of the time and remember it happening on a real Sound Blaster, but I haven't noticed if it happens with a real MIDI device.)

Sorta related

In Brutal Doom, spooling the Minigun before use makes it fire faster. I thought it was just no wait + decreased accuracy.

@BaronOfStuff: Nice find. I wonder why that wasn't removed from the wall. You think id would've seen that much like they removed those bars in Doom II MAP02.

@Gez, Eris Falling, Cell: I never considered thinking about two MUS being different. Cool. [S]Thisreminds me of the "D_RUNNIN Appreciation Thread" where one person said that "D_RUNNI2" was where the music was at" when those two are no different from eachother.

@Gez, earlier post: Still, the Nirvana "reference" is cool.

Something I noticed recently is that...yes, later versions of Doom 1 have flaming barrel sprites. But beyond that, they're slightly different from the Doom II sprites!

Don't see it? Scrutinize the left side of the barrel proper in each frame -- in the Doom II version, it's darker and more symmetrical with the right side.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Something I noticed recently is that...yes, later versions of Doom 1 have flaming barrel sprites. But beyond that, they're slightly different from the Doom II sprites! In the Doom II version, it's darker and more symmetrical with the right side.

Interesting. I wonder if there are any other differences with resources that exist in both games. Resources that are explicitly different such as the TITLEPIC and M_DOOM lumps don't count.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Something I noticed recently is that...yes, later versions of Doom 1 have flaming barrel sprites. But beyond that, they're slightly different from the Doom II sprites!
*IMAGES*
Don't see it? Scrutinize the left side of the barrel proper in each frame -- in the Doom II version, it's darker and more symmetrical with the right side.

I've already noticed the "barrel bug" when I was designing ZDooM-compatible UD levels for Five Places. The animated barrel "switched x and y pixels" so it was like it is trembling or shaking due to an earthquake.

Thanks to USC's comparison image, I've just noticed that the Doom 2 logo is all outlined in yellow/gold, whilst the original logo is all blue across the top. I'm not sure which one I prefer.

I was editing a map recently and I noticed that Hellknight is a fucking bodybuilder! :D

Simp0 said:

I was editing a map recently and I noticed that Hellknight is a fucking bodybuilder! :D

Um, what?

If Simp0 had said this, the implications would have been unfortunate:
I was editing a map recently and I noticed that Hellknight is fucking a bodybuilder! :D

That still wouldn't rule out that the Hellknight is a fucking bodybuilder. Now, the question is who tops between it and the Baron....

An arm wrestle is the only way to prove this. Should be a pretty even match up ;) Of course, the big daddy of ripped demons is, and always will be, the Cyberdemon.

I learnt that E1M1 is based off Painkiller by Judas Priest.... (Judas Priest #1 heavy metal band! Though Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden might top it)

Though some think it's a mixture of Master of Puppets and No Remorse by Metallica (which by the way is a great thrash metal band! :D \m/)

There's a transparent pixel in the Baby Spiderdemon face! Well, actually it seems there are a bunch of transparent pixels in the Baby Spiderdemon sprites in various places where there shouldn't be transparent pixels.

idSoftware981 said:

I learnt that E1M1 is based off Painkiller by Judas Priest.... (Judas Priest #1 heavy metal band! Though Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden might top it)

Though some think it's a mixture of Master of Puppets and No Remorse by Metallica (which by the way is a great thrash metal band! :D \m/)

You sure it's based on Painkiller? I haven't heard it, but if it's really the song that E1M1 is based on, then I may listen to it. :]

I always assumed it to be Behind the Crooked Cross, since there's another song, E3M3, that's also based on it.

Since all the albums I have are metal, I have a lot of songs by a lot of metal bands that sound like E1M1.

Back on topic: I found out that the internal height for the monsters doesn't always match their apparent height, e.g., some monsters can somehow walk under low ceilings.

Simp0 said:

Lmao, just spat out my drink. You only just noticed? They are unnaturally BUFF. Half of the Doom monsters are on steroids so bad, except the Mancubi, he needs to get on the treadmill :P

Jimi said:

There's a transparent pixel in the Baby Spiderdemon face! Well, actually it seems there are a bunch of transparent pixels in the Baby Spiderdemon sprites in various places where there shouldn't be transparent pixels.

What about this missing bit on the chaingun in the UDMX wad? You have to look really closely, and you will see a blue square. Here: http://s13.postimage.org/5t4rzt6h1/Screenshot_Doom_20121029_000135.png
It's definitely not like that normally *shrug*

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

You sure it's based on Painkiller? I haven't heard it, but if it's really the song that E1M1 is based on, then I may listen to it. :]

I always assumed it to be Behind the Crooked Cross, since there's another song, E3M3, that's also based on it.

Since all the albums I have are metal, I have a lot of songs by a lot of metal bands that sound like E1M1.

Back on topic: I found out that the internal height for the monsters doesn't always match their apparent height, e.g., some monsters can somehow walk under low ceilings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Revenants are particularly bad and I've always wondered if their sprites were originally intended to be smaller.

DevilutioN said:

Half of the Doom monsters are on steroids so bad, except the Mancubi, he needs to get on the treadmill :P

Someone has to have done this with Boom conveyor belts.

idSoftware981 said:

These "some" are wrong and you shouldn't believe them. :) Of these songs, it's based on "No Remorse" and nought else. compare "At Doom's Gate" riffing starting from about 1:00 to "No Remorse" starting from about 1:33 -- damn near exact match! The only thing the other songs have in common is the 'riffing alternates between a root note and other higher notes' pattern which is very, well, common.

I just read that monster pickups are giving 50% of their ammo, just like in wolfenstein 3d. For some reason I thought they didn't and I never noticed that in game. I also understood what exactly opens the rocket launcher in MAP01. I used to thought that it's opened by pressing use on the outside window (not sure why) or entering the single stimpack secret. The latter still confuses me, a secret just for one stimpack?
...and that's my milestone post, as I'm now a Member instead of Junior Member! ^^

There are four sounds that are sampled at 22050 Hz in Doom II: three of the super-shotgun sounds, and the item respawn sound (the last one being also sampled at 22050 Hz in plain old Shareware/Registed/Ultimate Doom 1).

However, for some weird reason, they have been downsampled to 11025 Hz like the rest of the Doom sounds in Final Doom! In TNT.wad and Plutonia.wad, these four sounds are different from how they are in Doom2.wad.

I suppose the blame can be laid at DEUTEX's feet somehow. Since I guess these IWADs were created by extracting everything from Doom II, overwriting it with the new data, then recreating a new IWAD; it probably converted from Doom sound to WAV on export, and then assumed that Doom sounds had to be 11025 Hz and downsampled them on reimport. That's my hypothesis at least.