Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

doom art up top?

Does, anyone know if there are higher res versions of the doom art (the blue tinted pics) at the top of the board floating around? Particularly, that cool demon/goat head thingy?

I had them before I reformatted.

* Cyberdemon from a scan of the painting for the Doom 2 box
* Imp from a scan of the painting for the Doom box
* Mancubus, spider, bunny head, baron sketch from hi-res scans of the Book of id which was included with the id Anthology
* Cacodemon from the cover of the AD&D book it was stolen from
* Icon of Sin from Doom 2, obviously
* Archvile and demon from pics of the pewter figurines

...off topic, but still bout art: does any of you guys visites planetquake? There were some Doomy wallpapers made with 3d art and q3 utilities. Do you know (or have you?) any of them? They had a lot with a q3 version of DSM. Ya know some of them are not so bad...

* Imp from a scan of the painting for the Doom box

Funny, I don't remember seing any imps on any front side of any Doom box.
Is there an edition I haven't heard about?

I have two very high-res pieces of Doom art, they may be of help to you.

http://www.doomworld.com/lordflathead/storage/Ultidoom.jpg
http://www.doomworld.com/lordflathead/storage/masterl.jpg

dsm said:
Funny, I don't remember seing any imps on any front side of any Doom box. Is there an edition I haven't heard about?

The monsters in the first picture seem to be Imps, although they look nothing like their in-game counterparts.

FlatHead said:

The monsters in the first picture seem to be Imps, although they look nothing like their in-game counterparts.

You're kiddin' right?
Since when did imps have horns and goat-like faces?

These things are more likely Barons of Hell or none of the critters in the game. Taking into consideration that the marine on the pic uses a weapon not in the game (quite likely the submachinegun from the Doom Bible), it would be prudent to assume that id didn't think too much of keeping that pic true to the game - it was just supposed to reveal the main concept of the game (you're a marine fighting hellspawn), and therefore the artist just threw in some demonic critters.

They resemble Barons of Hell far more than imps, so it's an enigma to me why they could ever be interpreted as imps. Maybe because it seems that they die easily in that pic? That still doesn't cut it imo.

I alweys knew they were barons, I have no clue why ling thinks they're imps. Besides, they're fireing plasma from their hands, just like barons, imps on the other hand spit fireballs at you.

orion said:

I alweys knew they were barons, I have no clue why ling thinks they're imps. Besides, they're fireing plasma from their hands, just like barons, imps on the other hand spit fireballs at you.

I have to agree with Ling on this one. The face looks nothing like the baron face on the marble blocks/walls within the game and look closer to imps.

answere this: do imps have horns on their head? and do their fireballs come from their hands? nope.

Jon said:

Are these the ones I linked ages ago?

I found them in someone's Yahoo briefcase a long time ago. They're still their original size.

FlatHead said:

I found them in someone's Yahoo briefcase a long time ago. They're still their original size.

yeah, that was pete's briefcase, I got em from there too.

orion said:

answere this: do imps have horns on their head? and do their fireballs come from their hands? nope.

Uhh, imps DO throw their fireballs - at least in the pc version.
I'll tell you why I think these demons on the Ultimate Doom/Doom 1 title pic look like barons:
1. Horns shaped exactly like the BoH's horns.
2. The same fang teeth in their lower jaw.
3. Shape and colour of the bolt that is being hurled at the marine.
4. Deep-lying eyes - I don't see no glowing red eyes.
5. five fingered hands - the imp has three fingers, the Barons have five.
6. these things have goat-like snouts - afaik imps don't have any snouts.

Furthermore these things look nothing like imps - where are the spikes, where are the bald, hornless heads, where are the glowing red eyes and where's the brown colour of their skin?

Come on, thinking these goat-like demons are imps is far more ridiculous than when I had the suspicion that the brown demon in the Macworld video was the new imp - that thing at least had glowing eyes and thorns.

...well, anyway, those demons on the picture are not exatly the Barons:
1. look at the size of these critters, they are smaller then Barons...
2. their eyes have a deep look, and the Barons have white/ blinded eyes...
3. their faces are not like the ones we could find on the walls...

With this, as everyone admitted, they are not imps... Well, maybe as dsm sad before "just supposed to reveal the main concept of the game (you're a marine fighting hellspawn), and therefore the artist just threw in some demonic critters." Thats the thing...

dsm said:

Uhh, imps DO throw their fireballs - at least in the pc version.

no they don't, the fireball comes from their mouth!

The one thing that freaks me out about that picture is that there is that one creature with a cyberdemon-like arm.

the_Danarchist said:

The one thing that freaks me out about that picture is that there is that one creature with a cyberdemon-like arm.

it's a baby cybie, give it time to grow!

orion said:

no they don't, the fireball comes from their mouth!

Not in my version of Doom. I'm sorry, but whenever I see an imp launch a fire ball at me, it makes the "claw swipe" animation - I don't see it hurl its head forward with its mouth wide open and make anything that looks even remotely like a "fire spewing" animation.

Anyway it's a stupid discussion - it's not that I mind imps being able to spew fire (in fact that would be just as cool as the fire/bolt throwing ability imo).

they open their mouth real wide and out comes the fire. The paw movement is just to show the momentum of the action. Give up, I'm too hard headed =P

If I really wanted to win this silly discussion I'd continue to argue for the posibillity that the imp throws the fireball, but I don't really care about it.
So in theory, I'm "giving up" now, y'happy?

dsm said:

If I really wanted to win this silly discussion I'd continue to argue for the posibillity that the imp throws the fireball, but I don't really care about it.
So in theory, I'm "giving up" now, y'happy?

no, you take the fun out of winning.

MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Hm, sorry to hear that (NO I'M NOT!!!!).
:-P

Orion, perhaps you should give up. Look closely, they throw the fireballs. When you eat, do you throw your hand out as momentum to take a bite? Bad example I know, but no you don't.

orion said:

they open their mouth real wide and out comes the fire. The paw movement is just to show the momentum of the action. Give up, I'm too hard headed =P

Um...they throw their fireballs

man stop pilling up against me!

Obviously I don't reach out with my hand because I don't need to force a flaming mucus ball out of my throat, but they do, so they need to push it out of them, and make it rotate so it can go straighter and slower.

FlatHead said:

I don't remember the Imps having horns either.

Orion does kind of have a point. I still think they throw them however. Heh, I think I'll just pull this fireball out of my pocket...so yeah out of the mouth makes sense. Oh well, it's just a game!

I've always thought they threw fireballs. If they spat them, then id were being REALLY lazy with the attack animations.

Goddamned orion, look what you've started! ;-)