Where are your IWADs?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Where are your IWADs?

• In the default location determined by the CD or DOS installer
    • In the SteamApps directory
    • I throw a copy in every port`s directory
    • I use DOOMWADDIR or DOOMWADPATH for this
    • Other (please explain)

This is a poll to try to find out where people like to keep their IWADs. Results may be put to good use ;) If you select "Other" please explain by giving the exact path you store your files under.

I chose the first option, because it's quite close to the truth. I actually have them all in C:\DOOM2 (and all exes/ports go in there too). I used to have all the UDoom stuff in C:\DOOM, but that didn't work as well for demo autoloading. Now I need to be careful if using deusf (i.e. by "hiding" doom.wad from it).

Edit: I realize that I could also have chosen the third option, though only because all my ports are in one directory, and I throw all the iwads into it.

Edit2: I also realize that I could also have chosen the fourth option, because I have set C:\DOOM2 as my DOOMWADDIR.

ZDoom's my primary port so it resides in D:\Games\Doom. All IWADS are in D:\Games\Doom\IWads, while PWads are kept in D:\Games\Doom\PWads in a series of categorical folders (Maps, Mods, Betas, etc.) for organization. Other ports are kept in a different folder, D:\Games\Doom\Engines\[portname], so EE is D:\Games\Doom\Engines\Eternity.

It's this sort of thing that makes $DOOMWADDIR not really feasible for me. Unless you can specify multiple paths. I forget.

I voted 'Other', since I didn't really see an option that fit. Ports in different directories, but IWADs in the same one. I'm weird. :P

I use DOOMWADIR ever since switching from DOS to Unix-type OS. I just keep the IWADs in separate subdirectories of $HOME/doom (for example) and then either a shell alias, function, or script sets the environment variable correctly. I also export a default DOOMWADDIR (to any IWAD, doesn't matter which) in my shell's .profile so things like deutex don't complain about not finding IWAD.

in my Doom folder, the game data resides in ./wads/iwads/ - all IWADs are tagged Read-Only, which sadly makes some tools like WhackEd3 crash since for some bizarre and stupid reason it needs write access to the file. I launch all my Dooms with ZDL, which implicitly adds -iwad to the command line anyway, so I don't really need DOOMWADDIR.

The 4th option applies to me. I have the DOOM II and registered DOOM IWADs in D:\DOOM, which is referenced by DOOMWADDIR.

Xaser said:
It's this sort of thing that makes $DOOMWADDIR not really feasible for me. Unless you can specify multiple paths.

I don't get it. With it you'd just have all the source ports and tools that apply refer to the same directory for the IWADs, which could be the ZDoom folder. I've never used it for PWADs, which I place in separate places and in zipped form.

WildWeasel said:
all IWADs are tagged Read-Only,

I do that too.

I'm too lazy to figure out DOOMWADDIR stuff so I prefer to waste my time with putting iwads in every port`s directory. I understand that this is stupid but I guess understanding is not enough to change. Like, I understand that I should sleep more but I still stay awake until 3-4 am everyday.

I see little harm in keeping multiple copies of the iwads all over the place, they're very small files...

My Doom stuff is in a folder called C:\DOOM, and it's all organized in subfolders by game, function ("editors", "srcprts"), or file type. My WADs are in a directory at C:\DOOM\WADs, and all of them are organized by their year of release. The exceptions are texture packs, which have their own directory but are also organized by year of release... and the IWADs, which are in C:\DOOM\WADs\IWADs. This is for use by source ports; the IWADs are also present in directories for the original games (e.g. doom2.wad in C:\DOOM\DOOM2) and older source ports so that they can run properly.

EDIT (8:11 AM PST): Added to the last sentence.

Basically, it's set up like this:

D:\Games\Doom\
D:\Games\Doom\Ports
D:\Games\Doom\Source
D:\Games\Doom\Tools
D:\Games\Doom\WADs
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Doom
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Doom2
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Doom64
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Heretic
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Hexen
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\IWADs
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Misc
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Resources
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Strife
D:\Games\Doom\WADs\Test

My main collection is in C:\Doom along with zdoom.exe and a few other files, but I do tend to put plutonia.wad into subfolders of Doom that have ports in - particularly chocorenderlimits and prboom-plus, as I've clearly done something to my doom2.wad at some point that makes them not recognise it.

Voted "Other" as this is kind of a mix between two fo the options.

Xaser said:

Ports in different directories, but IWADs in the same one. I'm weird. :P

You're not alone.

I voted for option 4, a DOOMWADDIR environment variable with all of the IWADs in C:\Doom95 and sub-directories for ports, tools, pwads and other stuff. The environment variable doesn't get much use since most of the time I'm using LaunchTool to run wads.

I also have IWADs in separate sub-directories with the DOS executables for DOSBox.

I voted with *other*:

Cut-and pasted this from my zdoom ini-file:

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=K:\games\doom_ult
Path=K:\games\DM2_19
Path=K:\games\heretic13
Path=K:\games\hexen11
Path=K:\games\hexendk
Path=K:\games\freedoom2
Path=K:\games\bfgwads
Path=K:\games\chex
Path=K:\games\ChexQuest3
Path=K:\games\hacx20-r61
Path=K:\games\hacx12
Path=K:\games\strife131
Path=K:\games\blasphemer
Path=K:\games\action2
Path=K:\games\PLUTONIA
Path=K:\games\TNT

In the \bfgwads folder are copies of the DooM 3 BFG-edition steam iwads. The rest should be self-explaining.

Greetings
Funduke

C:\iwads or c:\games\iwads or d:\Doom source ports\iwads, depending on the machine. Linux gets ~\.iwads\

I only copy stuff around for ports that can't be redirected elsewhere (though even vanilla Doom regognizes DOOMWADDIR...)

This poll is Windows specific, AND on top of that you should allow voting for multiple items.

Lemonzest said:

I throw mine in

/usr/share/games/doom

That is where I place them also.

They are in /usr/share/games/doom/ and the PWADs in /usr/local/share/games/doom/wadoom/ or wadoom2/.

Maes said:

I only copy stuff around for ports that can't be redirected elsewhere (though even vanilla Doom regognizes DOOMWADDIR...)

The LinuxDoom binary release from 1994 does, but maybe not the DOS versions (well I grepped for DOOMWADDIR in doom.exe v1.9 and it doesn't show up).

Guest DILDOMASTER666

D:\Doom\IWAD\*.wad = IWADs
D:\Doom\Mods\UAC_DEAD\*.*, D:\Doom\Mods\dyst3\*.*, etc. = mods
D:\Doom\[portname]\*.* = Eternity, ZDoom, chocorenderlimits, etc
D:\Doom\play.bat = launcher script I wrote for all my ports and mods and shit
D:\Doom\edit.bat = script meant to be run in DOSBox so I can quickly access all the DOS tools I still use (i.e. DEU)

I have tarred-up versions of all the different games in all the different versions, and a few of them extracted in ~/doom. Then I have this in .bashrc to set DOOMWADPATH:

DOOMWADPATH=~/doom/doom-registered-1.9
DOOMWADPATH=$DOOMWADPATH:~/doom/doom2-1.9
DOOMWADPATH=$DOOMWADPATH:~/doom/final-doom-plutonia-1.9
DOOMWADPATH=$DOOMWADPATH:~/doom/final-doom-tnt-1.9
DOOMWADPATH=$DOOMWADPATH:~/doom/heretic-registered-1.3
DOOMWADPATH=$DOOMWADPATH:~/doom/hexen-1.1
DOOMWADPATH=$DOOMWADPATH:~/doom/strife-registered-1.31
export DOOMWADPATH

Sodaholic said:

I just stick a copy in every port's directory, and I use a separate directory for each port.

I got a Doom folder in C:, put all my sourceports on their own folders, IWADs, PWADs, mods and other shit in their own respective folders, and being lazy fuck, I use ZDL to do the rest. End of my story.

Other.

-Steamapps dir
-Main Doom directory (E:\Doom2)
-Source port directories (Zandronum, ZDoom, etc)
-Original '94-95 versions archived in a zip/7z file