Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Seal Team Six gives secret info to EA

http://napavalley.patch.com/articles/navy-seals-disciplined-for-giving-secrets-to-video-game-maker

When Osama bin Laden was killed, the name "Seal Team Six" became a household name.

But a shadow has fallen on the team's revered status when its members were disciplined for giving away Navy secrets to a leading maker of video games.

According to an online article CBS published Thursday, the seven members of Seal Team Six have been disciplined for giving away classified information to the video game company Electronic Arts (EA), in order to help make their war-themed games more realistic.

CBS reports that Seal Team Six was employed for two days this past spring and summer as paid consultants on the new game "Medal of Honor: Warfighter," recently released.

Hellbent said:

paid consultants on the new game "Medal of Honor: Warfighter," recently released.

They could have at least picked a better game to risk sullying their military reputations over.

Mr. Chris said:

Brilliant job guys, it's called Classified for a reason.

This "classified" information is probably something so mundane that they didn't even think twice about mentioning it.

The "classified" stuff probably includes deliberate misinformation that'll get terrorist wannabe's killed quick if they attempt to use it in real life.

Clonehunter said:

Yah, like Doom 4

Yeah because D4 is going to be a realistic, covert military shooter?

Mogul said:

Yeah because D4 is going to be a realistic, covert military shooter?

They leaked our top secret plan to stop a demonic invasion by shooting rockets into a hole in a wall with a goat face painted on it.

Dragonsbrethren said:

They leaked our top secret plan to stop a demonic invasion by shooting rockets into a hole in a wall with a goat face painted on it.

Genuinely lol'ed at this. Bravo.

I'm curious what kind of info they gave EA. Was it just general pointers for how to make it feel real, or was it actually specific, actually classified details on what happened during their operations? I kind of get the feeling that Seal Team Six didn't actually give them any important info and that the government is just acting out of suspicion, prejudice and being overly cautious.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Given the NJP they received, I doubt that anything more than UNCLAS-but-sensitive or maybe Confidential was leaked (and neither of those can be reasonably expected to cause severe harm to national security)

The reason this is still really bad to begin with anyway though is because of how Perform-to-Serve works in the US Navy, which is a "mechanic of the game" by which it is decided whether or not you're allowed to re-enlist after your 4-year or whatever contract expires; in the case of disclosing classified information, your evals also look extremely bad too, and that all leads you towards an early retirement if you get my drift

It's like, "yeah, I killed bin Laden, but the Navy thinks I'm a piece of shit"

BloodyAcid said:

Better than Cod.

I dunno, Black Ops 2 actually looks a bit interesting.
Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for sci-fi.