Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
didierbertrand

Failed demo attempts

j4rio said:

(hangar being around 40 minutes in uv).

... I watched this at the fastest speed possible in PrBoom+, and it's still the slowest demo I've ever seen. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'm honestly starting to feel bad for this guy! He literally spends minutes at a time just creeping towards a corner so that he can take one shot around it. Is he terrified of Doom? Maybe this just isn't the game for him.

I wonder how he plays when saving is allowed. My guess is that he still plays this cautiously, but quick-saves every ten seconds on top of that.

Is there a way to see who uploaded the demos by tracking edit history or something?

EDIT: Okay, this is weird. So, I went to doom.wikia.org (shudder) because that site still has more info on file history and origins. These brobdingnagian demos were uploaded by one Ryan W, apparently an extremely active contributor to the original wiki. What's strange is that Ryan's original UV MAX demo on e1m1 was only two minutes long, but he then replaced it with increasingly bloated revisions over the years. His notes for this most recent, 40-minute demo state that he redid it to remove infighting in the zig-zag area, and to prevent "all conceivable damage" from the sniper imps. It's not enough that he doesn't take damage; damage must be impossible. He sees this form of demo as more "polished," in that it's inarguably complete, and in that absolutely everything is under his control. Nevermind that it's obsessive and unwatchable...

j4rio said:

On top of that, there are demos just like that for every doom level, in all difficulties (hangar being around 40 minutes in uv).

Not every level.  The solipsism started getting on the author's nerves partway through e2, which led to a reboot.  ;>

IIRC no one ever figured out how to get outside opinions — except from veteran Doomers who would obviously find the demos completely repulsive — so it was not clear what the best approach was.  But recording something "normal" seemed useless, since there are already tons of those at DSDA (or, for id's maps, the oldest COMPET-N submissions).

Maybe the demos are for walkthrough purposes? Perhaps you could narrate the article and watch the demo at the same time or similar?

Also, who cares, if you don't like a demo don't watch it.

GhostlyDeath said:

Maybe the demos are for walkthrough purposes?

If you actually watched this, you would know that it is most certainly not for walkthrough purposes but for pure insanity and mental torture.

Wow, no chaingun collected at E1M1? Are you sure? This skill level isn't even remotely fair :-)

I didn't post this earlier because that ruins the surprise, failed max attempt of nochance. Somehow fell in a pit with a cyber and vile at 20 mins of demo, killed them and got stuck there.

ncwtf.zip

I just had this amazing demo today. I suppose it's not too amazing, since I expect to get this someday, hopefully soon. Anyways this is my most recent and most promising attempt at rn14, where I get the blue key, and then somehow safely make it down back to the teleport where there is relative safety. Unfortunately there were some wimps and shottys there and I had extremely low health. The run back to the berzerk was crazy and had no right to work out as it did. Also, I think my method to rush for the blue key may have been too ballsy. Well, for the first time it feels like not only do I have a chance to make it, but it feels like I am so close now. Usually in practice if I can get back to the teleport I can finish the map. Well, I can tell you I definitely feel like continuing this one in the next few days, so I hope you will see a completed demo soon.

rn14f.zip

xit-vono said:

I just had this amazing demo today. I suppose it's not too amazing, since I expect to get this someday, hopefully soon. Anyways this is my most recent and most promising attempt at rn14, where I get the blue key, and then somehow safely make it down back to the teleport where there is relative safety. Unfortunately there were some wimps and shottys there and I had extremely low health. The run back to the berzerk was crazy and had no right to work out as it did. Also, I think my method to rush for the blue key may have been too ballsy. Well, for the first time it feels like not only do I have a chance to make it, but it feels like I am so close now. Usually in practice if I can get back to the teleport I can finish the map. Well, I can tell you I definitely feel like continuing this one in the next few days, so I hope you will see a completed demo soon.

what wad is this for?

Memfis said:

rn = Requiem.wad Nightmare. Amazing playing in this demo!

That is some really great gameplay!! I missed Xit's demos. Imho, he has one of the best aims on all Doom.

Great to see you around Xit! I thought you quit :)
Very bad luck by dying to that Zombieman. You'll definitely have this demo soon.

blob1024 said:
fucking bullshit pc decided to return back to windows for some reasons **

It's a special cheat code only cyberdemons can trigger.

rofl blobby

myk said:

It's a special cheat code only cyberdemons can trigger.

I think skepticist can trigger it too. :) I remember how I was playing and suddenly Windows alt-tabbed to his ICQ message even though it normally doesn't.

Attempt at Marswar map29 uv-max, ruined because I forgot how to think I guess.
Also, I want to complain about Icarus-style doors. They suck. They're supposed to make the game more comfortable by opening by themselves, but what always happens is that I forget about this and press on them anyway so they open and I close them immediately after.

Okuplok said:

j4rio wanted a demo to know how to get past some sections near start of my map and then some bs av killed me 30 mins in or so... uhh

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62387-untitled-2-a-slaughter-map/

download wad here http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v2.wad

wow, some areas are really awesome oku :) try with the other cl to avoid such deaths :PP
and now im curious about the rest of the map damn...

btw, I found the area where he died really tough, even using at max the revs to kill most of knights, I could barely escape the av attacks there if i tried to get the ammo near them.

But what bugged me, are the cybers after that, and the revs caging you; I couldnt really find good ways to handle that, since the infighting was always terrible even if I lured our friend to the very start of the hallway. any good hints? and btw I cant find a way to lower the pillars and proceed after the narrow maze.. is there a switch somewhere?

ye that room is brutal, and those falling viles are super annoying, they always fall. I had to just use iddqd when i played with saves there :D
Blob, that rev area is super easy if you mean those revs after the lifts in the next room. You can just kill cyb, press button releasing revs, run out and wake cyb on other side without them blocking you. Then just use infighting & kill rest from below.

Amazing demo.

hehe :P

theres a switch in maze behind cyber, maybe it was too dark and you didnt see or you idclip'd some parts and broke voodoo effects :P

the intended way at rev corridor was too hit switch and keep firing rockets while dodging fireballs and i even made corridor longer in this version to prevent running back jongo :P i guess timed bars are in order for next version >:D

ancalagon told me about you skipping cacos near start with rj tricks or something, so i think i fixed that too >:D :P

annnnnd doing that demo i've learned to removed that god damn jump section before red door and lower liquid damage to 5% not 20% :P

btw in the room with the megasphere and the 2 cybers, there are some troubles with the "floor", revenants from down level woke up seeing me through the floor and started shooting at me (but the fireballs were splashing on the very ground anyway)

ps: yes i idclipped till the point you died in the demo, and continued from there so that might have blasted something up :<

2 fails in kamasutra map16 max attempts (the successfull is in the proper thread instead)

both failed right at the end; once for a crap loss of health and then suiciding on last enemy (1 was still alive btw, dunno if it would be valid anyway ;p), and once because I forgot to fire 1 rocket to the damn barrels... :)

http://speedy.sh/7QWkP/ks16-fails.zip

jesus, I collected probably like... hours of "funny" fails where the most stupid things I ever thought would happene.. actually occurred. i'll make a video once a run satisfying me is obtained