Where are your IWADs?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Where are your IWADs?

• In the default location determined by the CD or DOS installer
    • In the SteamApps directory
    • I throw a copy in every port`s directory
    • I use DOOMWADDIR or DOOMWADPATH for this
    • Other (please explain)

I voted first option. I have a folder for each game, containing the EXE, the IWAD and any associated PWADs. Ports are only installed once, in Doom 1 or Heretic, and I use the -iwad parameter often.

Since I got them on Steam and occasionally like to play through the client, I just leave them in steamapps on Windows. I use CDL as a launcher, so there's no need to have them in more than one location (and I really question why anyone would go that route over a launcher). I used to have them in C:\DOOM\WADS\IWADS.

On my laptop running Puppy Linux, I use DOOMWADDIR and keep them in /usr/local/share/games/doom.

Other. Two copies of each, one in C:\1GAMES\0IWAD\ for ports, and the other in a standard DOS install folder under the C:\1GAMES\0DOS\ folder that I mount in DOSBox.

I have a Skulltag Folder that has my ZDoom folder, XWE Folder and Mapping Folder. (This was back when I didn't know the differences between ports). Now I have one for Zandronum, GZDoom and PrBoom, so uhh...8-10 copies (some for edits, etc). Oh, and one zipped up on a USB just to be safe.

I've just copied them into each port's directory (only have 4 different ports), not all of them have every IWAD.

I guess it could be useful to just have one IWAD dir that all ports use. Maybe it would be useful, even just for a backup, not that I've ever managed to mess up my IWADs.

I also have them read only.

One IWAD folder, and I either use DOOMWADDIR or a shortcut with the parameter -iwad.

IWADs are in their respective directories for DOSBox.
(such as \MSDOS\D\GAMES\DOOM2)

The DOS versions of each game are installed under PREFIX/games/doom/, where PREFIX is C: on my older DOS and Windows systems, D: on newer Windows systems, and ~ on Unixish systems. Ports on DOS/Windows also get installed in versioned directories under PREFIX/games/doom/ and I do everything from the command line, so if for example I wanted to play Doom II under a recent Chocolate Doom in Win7, I'd open cmd.exe and:

cd /d D:\Games\doom\chocolate-doom-1.7.0
chocolate-doom -iwad ..\doom2\doom2.wad

D:\Games\Doom\iwad

Point zdoom.ini to this folder, and that's pretty much it. Any other port I'll use bat files if needed, or just copy the iwad to the port's folder if I'm lazy :P

Meh - there's a surprisingly high percentage of poll respondents who probably have more IWADs on their hard drives than they're entitled to.

A lot of "others" that where posted could be classified as "DOOMWADDIR or DOOMWADPATH" in one way or another.
I use the path definitions on zdoom/gzdoom. I keep them on a subdirectory called "iwads".

GreyGhost said:

Meh - there's a surprisingly high percentage of poll respondents who probably have more IWADs on their hard drives than they're entitled to.

Is that too many IWADs? ;P

Nope - I don't see Chex Quest, Hacx, Harmony, Urban Brawl, Doom 2 (French) or any of the shareware/teaser IWADs. :P

Sorry to bump a thread, but it's still a little recent. Anyway, I use an external drive for all my stuff, with about 280 GB of space on that thing, my path is usually "E:/GZDoom".

C:\Doom\IWADS

Keeps them in one place and as I use ZDL to launch the game it's not a big deal. For other wads;

C:\Doom\My PWADS
C:\Doom\Other PWADS

Everything Doom related has sub-directories in my Doom folder such as;
C:\Doom\DoomBuilder2
C:\Doom\Slade

Etc

Dave

I set it up as seen in the picture below (just recently). I can click any of the ZDL files to have things set up just like I like in ZDL, without having to do too much searching and organizing. It's nice having everything separate, if for nothing else, to cut down on redundancy.

Great thread, thanks. :)

GreyGhost said:

Nope - I don't see Chex Quest, Hacx, Harmony, Urban Brawl, Doom 2 (French) or any of the shareware/teaser IWADs. :P

You forgot to mention Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, which wasn't in my IWAD list either. So disappointed in you mister! ;P

I have C:\Games\TypeOfAGame (like rpg, fps, etc) structure, yet all my Doom stuff is at C:\Games\Doom like Doom is a special on it's own :)

Then inside Doom I have folders like IWADs (which I see with enviroment variables from all ports in windows), Ports (lot's of stuff there), WADs (where I have subfolders like old, classic, pending (wanna check but haven't yet), mine, etc) and when I want to play something I copy it from there to my favorite port and try it. Although recently I use that tool which automatically downloads and runs on my favorite ports.

I copy the list to each, because theres no easy way to get them to all read from one directory. Doomsday was great at this, you selected where the IWADs were before playing. Theres another problem now though, pretty much everything except ZDoom/GZDoom only EVER wants to play Doom 2! Why cant things be user friendly?

I keep them in SteamApps and try to point the ports to look at it, but this isn't always easy to do.