Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

My own art gallery is up (*Fanart alert*)

Funny so many art related topics people have posted lately and now I post one too.
Anyway, I just uploaded three drawings on deviantart.com . you've all seen the Doom Marine one, but I doubt that you've seen the other two (only two persons apart from myslelf have seen those before I uploaded them).

My artworks

I really need a scanner, and get back all those drawings my art teacher stole, most of them were doom related.

orion said:

I really need a scanner...

Heh, i really need the computer then - i dont have any! (warning, not a joke). The comp where im now is owned by my boss, hehehe

wasted said:

Heh, i really need the computer then - i dont have any! (warning, not a joke). The comp where im now is owned by my boss, hehehe

hmmm... STEAL IT! =]

orion said:

hmmm... STEAL IT! =]

...hehehe, (here the shitstory begins, brace yourselfs!!!) i cant take it becouse:
1. my boss's computer is in another country, Finland...
2. i cant go through the customs with this - no regestration...
3. i'll loose my job after...
4. damn, its just 400 Mhz, 64 mb Ram, 2 Gb hdd...
5. thats not a good idea imwo...

Dragon's arm? You've lost me dude, which pic is it?

Aaaah i see now.
I added a set of arms to go along with the wings, deliberatly halfway down it's abdomen so that they joined up with the wings.
They're not meant to be that useful, kind of like a T-Rex's arms, little diddy things for grabbing it's prey while it chows down on flesh :)

No prob - if u get a sec tho, check out the bottom-right pic (computerish skull) :)

Doom II Guy said:

Wow, those are awesome! How long did it take to make each one? Now if only I could draw like that...

It differs how long it takes me to do a drawing. Often it takes me months because I only work on them on some rare occasions, but the mancubus one took only one-and-a-half week because I had a deadline to keep.
I was also rather "fast" with the cyberdemon one - about four weeks I think.

...well, the doom marine is really good one imwo. Have you draw him after seeing the Macworld video?

well, all i can show to compare is the wasted sketch of q2 gunner

I drew him after I saw the leaked image of a former human with a tentacle arm. I combined what I saw in the Macworld movie with what I saw on that pic and added my own imagination :-)
Gunner pic is good :-)

Well i might as well jump on the artwork bandwagon - i've had this page up for a while, but i'm working on some doom drawings, trying to develop the look of the creatures a bit more - here's my stuff...

http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk/drawings/indexright.html

Murr...

Awesome pics Spike - especially the dragon ones! - how do you avoid roughness in those dragon pics?

here's a question DSM: how can you work on something for over a month without having earaser holes in the paper?

DSM - i tend to work on ideas for a few days before doing the finished version, so i lay the final one out as carefully as possible with a 2b pencil.
When it comes to shading, how do you go about it? I tend to start heavily at the darkest parts, and just very gradually shade it more and more softly. It's kinda hard to put across the techniques in writing, it'd be easier if i could just demonstrate :(

orion said:

here's a question DSM: how can you work on something for over a month without having earaser holes in the paper?

Often it takes me months because I only work on them on some rare occasions

And I work on them on these rare occasions either because I only feel like working on the drawing at these times, or because I don't have time/energy to work on the drawings that often. Now, for instance, I'm busy reading for my exams (most of the time while I'm not posting here), so I wont be doing any art related work for a long while. I have some unfinished drawings in my drawer, which I wont resume working on until at least at the end of June.

DSM - i tend to work on ideas for a few days before doing the finished version, so i lay the final one out as carefully as possible with a 2b pencil.
When it comes to shading, how do you go about it? I tend to start heavily at the darkest parts, and just very gradually shade it more and more softly. It's kinda hard to put across the techniques in writing, it'd be easier if i could just demonstrate :(

More or less my technigue too - I think the final outcome of my drawings depends greatly on the paper and my paper ain't the smoothest.
It also depends on how careful I am - I was rather careful when I did the face and armour vest for the Doom Marine, but less careful with almost everything else. Concentrating so much on the shading takes some effort and I don't always feel like concentrating that much - hence my slow progress on drawings.

I know exactly what you mean, my drawings can take anything from a week to a few months - it depends on motivation, state-of-mind and free time.
At the minute, i'm juggling The Underworld megawad, The Underworld story, some new drawings (doom stuff, the Grim Reaper and a new Demon), and the task of being a husband and father. Having said that, though, i wouldn't want to give up ANY of the above :)

I need a scanner

word
nice drawings, dsm :) have you ever taken any sort of artistic courses at school, or anywhere else? the style of how you draw looks a lot like the productions by the unreal2/utk3's artists. Personally, my drawings are alright, pretty good, what people from my real life say, but my style is a lot different from that, I think I'll need to take some professional courses to correct my style or something, probably might be because I used a mechanical pencil to draw them, not wooden pencil, btw, my career plan is to be a graphic designer :)

I wish I had a scanner... but the need for more RAM... and HD space.. and something better than a Viper V550 are a little higher on my list. I guess I can show you the stuff my teacher scanned from my Drawing 1 class last semester... it's crap, but it's all I have to show my limited skill. (These have nothing to do with Doom, FYI)

Conte can suck my ass.
I kept this bastard for a month before drawing him.
It's hard to see all the tendons connecting the mask to the back of the head in this one, but oh well.

I don't think I've drawn anything good since I got out of that class... and what's even worse, I did my best drawings in my history class... instead of taking notes... which is why I had to drop the class, but, eh...

999cop said:

nice drawings, dsm :) have you ever taken any sort of artistic courses at school, or anywhere else? the style of how you draw looks a lot like the productions by the unreal2/utk3's artists.

I'm primarily self taught, but I once took a limited art course, but sadly, it turned out to be about almost everything else than drawing. I did learn a little to improve my shading skills, but I was already rather good at it before that.
I've been doing drawings of various types for as long as I can remember, my forté is definitely pencil drawings - I suck at coloured drawings.
If you want a piece of advice on how to improve your skills: Pay a lot of attention to other artworks - typically ones that are better than yours (but sometimes you can learn from someone who's not as good as yourself). Once you're skilled enough, you can begin to pay attention to real life things and more proffesional art - these may be too complicated when you're not more familiar with "advanced art".

I wish I had something to [plug] in here but I haven't drawn in weeks.

That's a pity, because your drawings blow mine out of the water - I can learn a lot from studying your art (if only I had the time and energy).

Lüt said:

Heh, uh those are all, really ... good ... yeah.

/me hides this old unfinished crap.

Hmm, Independence Day :-)
Come on, it's not that bad.

Never be ashamed of old artwork - people need to learn somehow...

dsm said:

Hmm, Independence Day :-)
Come on, it's not that bad.

Heh yeah, well, I probably posted that like 4x before, but anyway: we were supposed to be watching a movie in German class over 2 45-minute classes. I did that instead.

I guess it's OK for me, but then Zaldron comes along the next day like "Look at this random thing I just crapped out the other day" and I'm like GRRRRRRR.