Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

Need Some Opinions...

Ello blokeys. As you may / may not know, i'm working on a megawad (The Underworld). First episode is nearly complete, and it's been created especially for Jdoom.
What i need is some opinions on the maps so far. Maps 1-5 are available reznor.demon.co.uk (click on the DooM logo on the main page). Map06 is halfway complete, map09 just needs enemies and secrets added, and map10 is complete for inclusion with the 10-level episode.
As it's been gl-bsp'd, we can't really use tricks like 3d-bridges, so don't expect any.

Never heard of WAD made especially for JDOOM. I thought it was for eye candy only.

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm using Doom Legacy, but I quickly tested the first two levels and they were waaaaaaaaay too dark.

Did you put all lightning to 0 and just use the torch and lights as lightning ? It's true it's a bit too dark in some place, but a pretty fun wad.

On his site..."Jdoom totally changed my ideas for levels by being able to turn the lights down and use light sources." There we go

Not everywhere, obviously. In the outdoor areas the lightlevels are usually about 90-130, glowing pads are 200-255, and corridors are 30-70 with light sources.

"I don't know if it's the fact that I'm using Doom Legacy, but I quickly tested the first two levels and they were waaaaaaaaay too dark."

They look fine on Jdoom - to those who think it's too dark even with lightsourcing - think about Aliens Vs Predator ; the lack of lighting makes for better atmosphere.

On the first level, after you get on the elevator and into the new room, are you supposed to even see the floor? I'm just wondering how it looks on JDoom because those little torches do nothing for light. Nice design though.

The cross-shaped room gets illuminated pretty well by all the torches - also on the older version of Jdoom you could set certain textures to act as light sources, and i had glowing blood which looked ace; i need to get back in touch with Jaakko to find out if there's any way of setting that back up (water, lava and nukage glow by default).
Try going to jdoom.newdoom.com for the latest version (1.13), it makes a world of difference :)

I tried downloading it before but it didn't really work. I'm just wondering how come Doom Legacy doesn't get affected by the torches! There should be some light.

I've never used Legacy, so i've no idea how the light sourcing works with it. Even with the flare size/intensity turned right down, it illuminates perfectly. On the other hand, i've heard from a few people who say that Jdoom doesn't really like their systems, as it's a lot darker than intended.
Jdoom is made a LOT easier to use if you download the Doomsday utilities, also from jdoom.newdoom.com. You can specify the IWAD/PWADS to load, the GL driver to use, stuff like that.

When the first 10-level episode is complete, we'll download the most popular doom source ports; before moving on, we'll see if we can work on creating a version for each. It'll postpone the progress a bit, but hopefully should keep people happy.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I think it's pretty safe to say Legacy is more popular than JDoom, but I have no clue how long it'd take to make several versions.

Well, Room on the Left currently consists of a measly two people - that is, me and my wife Jay. Up til now we've been using the same PC, but we're hopefully be getting another one on the cheap soon (just powerful enough to run WinDEU and gl-BSP); while i'm working on the new maps, she'll be updating the old ones to work thru the other source ports.

I may very well take you up on that idea...
Well i'm struggling my way thru map06 (Summit of Acheron) at the minute - you know what it's like when you've got the main ideas for a map, but are stuck with the 'in-between' bits that link the main areas?

I got back into editing by accident.
I hadn't played it in years, then out of pure nostalgia, i went and bought Doom Collectors Edition from Electronics Boutique.
Doom95 was being a git, and wouldn't let me use the mouse for motion, so i went to the tech support site - they suggested Jdoom. After downloading that, i got a copy of winDEU and started a new map (my first in years)... that became 'Portal of Hades', and i've been writing a story to go along with it. You can find it on the fan-fiction section under 'The Underworld - Portal of Hades'.

Awesome, I just got JDoom to work. Man, everything is all glowy. However, the graphics are a little blurry it seems. I'll test your custom level as soon as I figure out how to load up custom wads.

Yeah, you should really at least try Legacy. I love how the water looks, but I guess I'm just not used to everything else. ARGH the enemies are blurry!! Oh, how do you load up a custom wad? Doing it on Legacy was so easy.

If it's a bit blurry, it's cuz the GL drivers are blending the textures and sprites, so you don't get the huge pixels when you get too close to something.
If you're running thru Doomsday, just click on 'custom wads', add the wad to the list, and make sure it's ticked before launching.

I can't really find that. Is it the kickstart thing or the Doomsday application? Either way, neither work because I have crappy Windows XP! Here's what it says one on the the FAQS..."NOTE! There has been reports of problems running KickStart under Windows XP." Just great.

Doomsday is the one you want; however, have you got the dlaunch exe program off Jaakko's site? It should solve a lot of your probs (provided it works)

I didn't get a chance to download it yet, but what does it do? Does it have anything to do with this step: Load up the jdoom.dlo config file with the 'load' button

doomsday is a batch file that's pretty command-line heavy.
Dlaunch is a frontend for doomsday, that lets you specify the options thru a menu - u can save these configs to seperate files, the default one being jdoom.dlo.

Anyway, off to watch Hellraiser - Bloodlines, later dude

Okay, using Dlaunch, I can get to the part where it says custom options. However, it can never find the custom wad. What do I type in?

Put a copy of Doom2.wad and uw1.wad in the doomsday\data\jdoom folder. If you right-click on 'external wads', then add, and point it towards the uw1.wad (make sure it's ticked). Also make sure the IWAD is pointed towards the doom2.wad.

That should do it.