Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

Hmm, now that I think about it, my map might actually be limit removing, because I don't think I ever really used any Boom-specific lines. This would have to be checked though, I'm not a hundred percent certain this is the case.

I've got a map that's very nearly ready. However, it needs to be playtested, so I'll probably make a thread for that. I'm very excited because I've never contributed to the community before.

Kappes Buur said:

Would you, please, replace my previous contribution with this one.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/Etqp3jYmnY/roundandround.7z

It's still the same map, but I have made some slight changes, so that, if someone wanted to play it with ZDoom, the Exit sectors would not display the garish red lighting. And I eliminated the death pit after climbing the stairs.

Downloading from the link above, although it gave a file size of 1 MB, resulted in a downloaded file of 0 B. I don't know why. So, I uploaded the file to

http://www3.telus.net/kappesbuur/MAPS/RoundAndRound2.7z

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have a map ready for testing, however I used a custom sky in my map (Hexen blue skies) and a midi from requiem MAP25 called "Take All(I have more) by Mark Klem. I asked for premission from him and he said it's ok as long as I will give him credits.

Will it be accepted?

FDA for This Map Doesn't Make Any Sense. One death, then an exit.

I liked it. Like in many of your maps, I found myself wishing at times for a bit more polish (i.e. that wolfenstein transition was quite abrupt); but as in many of your maps, you do such a good job at capturing the elusive fun factor it doesn't matter one bit.

Sectors are somewhat borked near the end, on that wooden bridge. You can see it in DB2 by hovering around random sectors, selecting sector 96 will also select the linedefs around sector 216/217/218, likewise with 97 and 219/220/221, and with 99 and 100/101/102/103. In software this doesn't seem to cause problems, but in GL this results in some nasty visual glitches, with the sky clipping everywhere in the floor.

FDA for Into The Water v2. Few deaths, doesn't complete.

Fun challenge map. Kind of breaks down at the end as you find yourself facing a bunch of cybies posing no threat whatsoever to you, blocking the path to the switch and taking awfully long to kill with the RL. For that matter, I also thought there were too many cybies near the start. It's as if you need to know the map entirely before playing so you can plan for infights - but even then, you're going to end up with quite a few cybies left unless AVs happen to resurrect a ton of stuff. Less cybies or a BFG coming up at some point would have helped making this more enjoyable.

Why (TOD map) - somehow I only got 4 shells to kill a hell knight, and I didn't get anymore despite waiting half a minute. Couldn't switch to fist either, so I gave up.

Maybe not. I think I didn't get the shells immediately (it started being delayed as soon as the caco), so I started having to dodge.

Phml said:

Space Corridor (Boom compatible, tested in GlBoom+)

Quite awesome stuff. I noticed just one switch on a higher platform can be pressed from ground level. No demo this time, I was too lazy to bother with cmd.

I noticed just one switch on a higher platform can be pressed from ground level.

Thanks. You wouldn't believe how many times I tried to press it just to check if it was possible, failed, and dismissed it as "too hard to be useful with monsters around, if even possible at all". Now that you point out it's possible, of course, I get it right within a few seconds and see it's super easy. It's particulary ridiculous because I made this mapping mistake a countless amount of times, by now I should know a distance under 48 pixels or so in any direction in front of the switch isn't safe.

Space Corridor v2, which should fix this.

Since we're nearing the end, can we get a compiled beta version together for playtesting? Having been involved in a project where the playtesting has been left to the authors themselves, I've learned the hard way that it doesn't work very well.

Thanks for the FDA! Yep, you were right next to the final fight. Shame about those arch-viles, they probably heard your thoughts about my fantastic, intricate and awe-inspiring detail work and decided to punish you for not being suitably impressed. ;)

It's unfortunate how hard it is to notice the effect from the key switches right away. I've tried to attract attention to the teleporters at the start, but it's probably the kind of hint that only works in hindsight. It wouldn't be so bad to have all teleporters open up, save for the cybies up close after picking up the BFG, too. Couldn't get this to be more first playthrough friendly without hurting the dynamics of the fights, but I figure it's acceptable to have the map be a little punishing without foreknowledge on UV.

AlektorophobiA - yes please make a map, time is ticking and there are still many more doomworld mappers who haven't submitted a map and face potential banishment!

DooMAD said:

Since we're nearing the end, can we get a compiled beta version together for playtesting? Having been involved in a project where the playtesting has been left to the authors themselves, I've learned the hard way that it doesn't work very well.

I was going to wait until the year is over before compiling but maybe I'll start gathering the maps and organizing. About the playtesting - I just think it's a part of mapping and the burden of playtesting should fall on the mapper. I'm not going to be like TheGreenHerring and playtest every single map in the project, I'm just the compiler. But we can release a beta before uploading to /idgames and if people want to playtest then that's great.

TimeOfDeath said:

About the playtesting - I just think it's a part of mapping and the burden of playtesting should fall on the mapper.

True, but it's easy to miss stuff when you think you're done. The more keen eyes looking for bugs, the more likely they are to be found. I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers.

A max run for space corridor (taking it easy): http://www.mediafire.com/?91ejq9mvlkmulvq

The last fight was pretty "huh?". My guess is that you thought that the player would've run out of cells and had to dodge cyber rockets to get more ammo to clear the last horde. It didn't really work out for all the infighting. Put some baddies inside the ammo stock :) The AV's before is hard as fuck, so it wouldn't hurt to turn up the difficulty a wee bit more for the last room IMO.

Thanks for the demo.

Regarding the final fight - it's just a nice little room to close off the map and make skipping stuff more difficult. It shouldn't be harder than the previous fight, which is for all intents and purposes the meatier one. I like having highs and lows in intensity rather than a steady progression upwards, and I'm particulary fond of ending a map with a small and relatively unchallenging encounter (provided you're careful, anyway).

I could raise the very first lowered wall back up until the player presses the final switch, but that would make skipping the previous fight too convenient. Then again, I could also open up teleporters next to that wall, on the other side, leading them back to the first room... Hmm. Yes, I think I'm going to do that, and maybe tweak the fight itself a little. Thanks.