Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gez

Steam master levels path

I figured that, given recent commits (r2268/9), this could be useful.

All the master levels .wad and .txt, for those who got them from Steam before they mysteriously stopped selling them, are located in this directory:

<Steam>\SteamApps\common\Master Levels of Doom\master\wads

Gez said:

I figured that, given recent commits (r2268/9), this could be useful.

All the master levels .wad and .txt, for those who got them from Steam before they mysteriously stopped selling them, are located in this directory:

<Steam>\SteamApps\common\Master Levels of Doom\master\wads

Thanks! I am accepting submissions for the other wanted items as well if anybody knows them:

• Default DOS install paths for Master Levels, Strife, and Hexen: DKotDC
  • Default install path and/or (preferably) any registry keys created by the near-mythical Hexen 95 installer

Here you go, I just happen to have the Towers of Darkness CD in my collection.

Master Levels - C:\MASTER

Strife - C:\STRIFE

Hexen: Death Kings - C:\HEXENDK

Hexen 95 - C:\Program Files\id Software\Hexen95

HKCU\Software\id Software\Hexen95
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Hexen95
HKLM\Software\id Software\Hexen95

GreyGhost said:

HKCU\Software\id Software\Hexen95
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Hexen95

Thanks. But, can you tell me the values that are in those keys as well?

Sorry if this isn't really the appropriate thread, but it would be great if an option to open the Master Levels menu would appear in the New Game option, like No Rest for the Living, when the Master Levels wads are detected. I don't like how obscure the menu is right now, basically hidden behind a console command that the average user won't even know about.

Quasar said:

Thanks. But, can you tell me the values that are in those keys as well?

Can do, most of the keys relate to the Game Launcher's configuration menu. I'm listing them by name, type and string/decimal data - all except for the 528 byte Start Menu key. Hope this helps.

HKCU\Software\id Software\Hexen95\Config

current			REG_SZ		"default"

HKCU\Software\id Software\Hexen95\Config\default

chatmacro0		REG_SZ		"No"
chatmacro1		REG_SZ		"I'm ready to kick butt!"
chatmacro2		REG_SZ		"I'm OK."
chatmacro3		REG_SZ		"I'm not looking too good!"
chatmacro4		REG_SZ		"Help!"
chatmacro5		REG_SZ		"You suck!"
chatmacro6		REG_SZ		"Next time, scumbag..."
chatmacro7		REG_SZ		"Come here!"
chatmacro8		REG_SZ		"I'll take care of it."
chatmacro9		REG_SZ		"No"
joy_advanced		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axes		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axis_r		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axis_u		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axis_v		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axis_x		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axis_y		REG_DWORD	0
joy_axis_z		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_1		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_10		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_11		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_12		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_13		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_14		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_15		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_16		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_17		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_18		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_19		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_2		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_20		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_21		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_22		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_23		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_24		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_25		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_26		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_27		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_28		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_29		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_3		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_30		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_31		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_32		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_4		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_5		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_6		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_7		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_8		REG_DWORD	0
joy_button_9		REG_DWORD	0
joy_feedback_DLL	REG_SZ		""
joy_id			REG_DWORD	4294967295 (0xffffffff)
joy_move_sensitivity	REG_DWORD	592
joy_move_threshold	REG_DWORD	2048
joy_turn_sensitivity	REG_DWORD	32
joy_turn_threshold	REG_DWORD	4096
joyb_fire		REG_DWORD	0
joyb_jump		REG_DWORD	4292967295
joyb_speed		REG_DWORD	0
joyb_strafe		REG_DWORD	0
joyb_use		REG_DWORD	0
key_down		REG_DWORD	80
key_fire		REG_DWORD	29
key_flycenter		REG_DWORD	71
key_flydown		REG_DWORD	82
key_flyup		REG_DWORD	73
key_inventoryleft	REG_DWORD	26
key_inventoryright	REG_DWORD	27
key_jump		REG_DWORD	53
key_left		REG_DWORD	75
key_lookcenter		REG_DWORD	79
key_lookdown		REG_DWORD	83
key_lookup		REG_DWORD	81
key_right		REG_DWORD	77
key_speed		REG_DWORD	42
key_strafe		REG_DWORD	56
key_strafeleft		REG_DWORD	51
key_straferight		REG_DWORD	52
key_up			REG_DWORD	72
key_use			REG_DWORD	57
key_useartifact		REG_DWORD	28
messageson		REG_DWORD	1
mouse_sensitivity	REG_DWORD	0
mouseb_fire		REG_DWORD	4292967295
mouseb_forward		REG_DWORD	4292967295
mouseb_jump		REG_DWORD	4292967295
mouseb_strafe		REG_DWORD	4292967295
music_volume		REG_DWORD	8
savedir			REG_SZ		"hexndata"
screen320x200		REG_DWORD	0
screen320x240		REG_DWORD	0
screen640x400		REG_DWORD	1
screen640x480		REG_DWORD	0
screenblocks		REG_DWORD	10
screenfullscreen	REG_DWORD	1
screenwindowed		REG_DWORD	0
sfx_volume		REG_DWORD	8
snd_channels		REG_DWORD	8
snd_mport		REG_DWORD	4292967295
snd_musicdevice		REG_DWORD	0
snd_sbdma		REG_DWORD	4292967295
snd_sbirq		REG_DWORD	4292967295
snd_sbport		REG_DWORD	544
snd_sfxdevice		REG_DWORD	0
use_joystick		REG_DWORD	0
use_mouse		REG_DWORD	1
usegamma		REG_DWORD	0

HKCU\Software\id Software\Hexen95\Session

class			REG_SZ		"0"
skill			REG_SZ		"1"

Order			REG_BINARY	

No keys set

Wow, none of those are useful for finding where it installed. Maybe the installer doesn't actually give you a choice of where to put it? In that case it'd be a matter of using the proper API to get the Program Files directory :P

Dragonsbrethren said:

Sorry if this isn't really the appropriate thread, but it would be great if an option to open the Master Levels menu would appear in the New Game option, like No Rest for the Living, when the Master Levels wads are detected. I don't like how obscure the menu is right now, basically hidden behind a console command that the average user won't even know about.

Since 3.40.25 it has been available on the Options->Wad Options menu, first page near the bottom.

GreyGhost said:

Can do, most of the keys relate to the Game Launcher's configuration menu. I'm listing them by name, type and string/decimal data - all except for the 528 byte Start Menu key. Hope this helps.

HKCU\Software\id Software\Hexen95\Config

current			REG_SZ		"default"

Probably not, but does this value change if you install Hexen 95 in a different directory from the default value?

It identifies the Config subkey that's currently in use, just like Doom95.

Quasar said:

Wow, none of those are useful for finding where it installed. Maybe the installer doesn't actually give you a choice of where to put it?

I'll dig a little deeper and see what turns up.

Quasar said:

Since 3.40.25 it has been available on the Options->Wad Options menu, first page near the bottom.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing it in there. I still think it should be given a more prominent place in the menu, though. You've gotta figure the users benefiting most from that menu are probably the same ones that won't even check out all of the options.

I'd suggest making it an option to have "Master Levels" be an "episode" choice when starting a new game, provided the master level path is not empty.

Likewise for NRFTL: if the path is not empty, optionally offer it as an episode choice even for normal Doom II.

It is a bit counter-intuitive to go through options to start a new game; though I understand many people might not want to get an extra episode selection menu every time.

The main reason I haven't done as such already is because it will create a compatibility issue that I will hear about forever. Mods that replace the menus will not have any replacements for the custom resources used on a universal DOOM II episode selection menu.

We received so many complaints over the years about the existing menus not working in certain megawads the way they did in vanilla that I've had to expand the old menu emulation system to just work on all skull menus.

Maybe a compromise would be to disable the episode selection menu if the game has been "modified" (ie. -file, GFS, etc)

It's not really a problem. Since the episode menu isn't going to exist in these mods, it's not going to be replaced; and since it's not going to be replaced, it's not going to break.

Plus, if the "episode selection" is optional and tied to the existence of valid paths for nerve.wad and/or the master folder, there's not much of a problem, is there?

The main menu has to be entirely unchanged (not adding a new entry like Skulltag did, not putting the "options" entry below "save game" like ZDoom once did, etc.); but "new" menus that didn't exist in the original game are fair game.

Here's some more registry keys, which might be marginally less useless.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

C:\Program Files\id Software\Hexen95\hlaunch.exe	REG_SZ		"Hexen 95 Game Launcher Wizard"

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Hexen95

CommandLine		REG_SZ		"-lobby 1"
CurrentDirectory	REG_SZ		"C:\PROGRA~1\IDSOFT~1\Hexen95"
File			REG_SZ		"hexen95.exe"
Guid			REG_SZ		"{5FAACD8A-F89D-11CE-9F8B-080036262602}
Path			REG_SZ		"C:\PROGRA~1\IDSOFT~1\Hexen95"

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\hexen95.exe

(Default)		REG_SZ		"C:\WINDOWS\UNINST.EXE -fC:\PROGRA~1\IDSOFT~1\Hexen95\DeIsL1.isu -c"C:\PROGRA~1\IDSOFT~1\Hexen95\uninst.dll"
Path			REG_SZ		"C:\Program Files\id Software\Hexen95"

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Hexen95

DisplayName		REG_SZ		"Hexen95"
UninstallString		REG_SZ		C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -f"C:\Program Files\id Software\Hexen95\DeIsL1.isu" -c"C:\PROGRA~1\IDSOFT~1\Hexen95\uninst.dll"
Apart from copies of some keys in HKU, that's all I can find without broadening the search.

Quasar said:

Maybe the installer doesn't actually give you a choice of where to put it?

It does, but defaults to "Program Files\id Software\Hexen95\" if not changed. Since the installer's run in Win95 compatibility mode (won't run under NT), could you suggest a spot in the registry where I should start fossicking?

Those are the values I need ;) Hacking off the uninstaller exe portion will give me the path where it's installed at. (Same thing is done to get at the install locations of the Depths of Doom Trilogy editions).

EDIT: After researching the App Paths key and how those are created, it seems that would be reliable as well, and a lot easier to extract.

Quasar said:

• Default DOS install paths

What, does that matter? DOS install paths can be chosen by the user. And in my case, Ultimate Doom bought from Great Britain (with a big red Baron of Hell face on the cover) has the \DOOM_SE default path.

printz said:

What, does that matter? DOS install paths can be chosen by the user. And in my case, Ultimate Doom bought from Great Britain (with a big red Baron of Hell face on the cover) has the \DOOM_SE default path.

Windows install paths can be changed too. But most people just roll with the default.

printz said:

This is about finding as many likely locations for IWADs as possible and scanning for them there.

If you want to put yours in weird-ass places but still expect them to be found automatically, you have exactly two options:

• DOOMWADDIR
  • DOOMWADPATH