Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Chess

So, I used to play Chess when I was in kindergarten, but have since been very out of practice. I recently reinstalled the SVGA version of Battle Chess. I was wondering, when you promote a pawn, is it getting a sex change? :P When I was 6, I played against 11 year olds and was kicking their asses at Chess, all the while imitating the capture animations and sounds from Battle Chess. :P

Anyway, what are some good strategies to get good at Chess again?

Well, there's at least one member of these forums who should be able to give you an interesting answer.

For my own part, I recently developed a minor interest in Chess myself and read Chess for Dummies. I found it to be a really good introductory book that does a great job of explaining the basics of Chess strategy.

I play chess as a hobby from time to time. Try not to follow the exact by-the-book plays, they`re pretty easy to predict.

Sodaholic said:

Anyway, what are some good strategies to get good at Chess again?

Perhaps the phrase "Practice makes perfect" is the most fitting for this situation? *shrug*

Anyways, I remember playing Battlechess 4000 back in 1995 and 1996. My favourite scenes were when the two Queens dished out their claws at each other, and also when the Rooks distracted the enemy pawns with some kind of action film to get them off guard.
And then there's also a scene when either a Bishop or a Knight shrinks a Queen but the Queen still kills him while in her midget form.
Oh the memories.

I never had any strategies for winning though. Cause predicting moves in advance is too challenging. I just know how the pieces can be moved around.

Been ages since I last played.

~2000 national elo (~fide elo). I don't really have much energy to practice which means I'm always low on time. Still making stupid mistakes too and my thought process is nowhere near what it should be. Still, my goal is to get national master title before I turn 30 :D. The most satisfactory move I have made was 2 years ago in this position with white to move (black just played Nc6-d8): What was it?

The best way to get better at something is to do it more.

Xepop: I have no idea what your good move was here. Putting the black king in check with either your queen or bishop here loses you both pieces, ack. Do tell.

xepop said:

Okay, I'm a retired tourney player and was USCF 1860p9 back in 2004, and here's my fair shot (analysis using only that image you gave me, w/o computer assistance, or chessboard on hand):

1. Ne5!!
(Threatening 2. Bxh7+ Rxh7 3. Rg3+ Rg7 4. Qxg7##)

1... fxe5

2. Rg3!
(Pins black's g7 rook)
(Black cannot capture white g3 rook due to the threat of Qxh7##)

2... R8f7
(2...Qe7 leads to 3. Bxh7 Kf7 4. Rxg7+)

3. Qxh7+ Kf8
4. Qh8+ Ke7
5. Rxg7

And white ends up winning the exchange with a far superior position.

188DarkRevived said:

I never had any strategies for winning though. Cause predicting moves in advance is too challenging. I just know how the pieces can be moved around.

That's pretty much the level I'm at. I like playing chess for fun. Fortunately, I'm a good loser.

DoomUK said:

I like playing chess for fun. Fortunately, I'm a good loser.

*highfive*
It's a great way to pass the time when I'm either extremely bored or the hydro power is down or the weather outdoors is utterly horrible. It can really make an hour fly by so quickly.
And it's like, even though I do lose, at least I feel satisfied that I was giving a workout for my mind to prevent it from going stale. :)