Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Grand Theft Auto 5

40oz said:

The game was a $50 time waster.

Is there any game that uses time productively? (aside from those with modability, but that's almost a fine line in itself).

Going more off topic here, regarding PC piracy vs consoles:

I found many comments in a PC Gamer article claiming that Europe or eastern countries have greater console piracy than on PCs, and modding consoles is more widely understood there. Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/30/gta-5-release-date-set-for-spring-2013/

Comments:

Spoiler

Psihomodo says:
08:43am October 31 2012

I find it very amusing how you westerners live in some parallel universe or something.

Yes, console games are as much pirated as anything else. The problem with you people is that you're stuck on marketing cock most of the time, and are not in a situation where you could see how it is done. And all you can list is numbers of downloaded torrents.

I on the other hand live in a country where there are lots of consoles but 95% are chipped. Why? Because that is how it even started 10+ years ago. You think they became popular because people spent 1/5 of their pay for a game? NO!

It was because of pirating. And how is it done for consoles (even today)? You get your preferred burning software, find discs that are OK for console drive, make a disc and after you're done you exchange it with your friends. A network of friends that exchange is the main point.

So, on a PC every user nowadays (almost exclusively) downloads a game for itself, but on consoles only 1 in 10 or even more downs it and makes a disc and the rest is by trading/exchanging since you need the physical discs.

And that is why you see more downed stuff for PC and almost none for consoles. ANd it is nothing new, it's been like this for years for consoles. And the main reason Europe is mostly Playstation country when talking consoles.

So get the rod out of your spoiled ass and learn something.

syndrome says:
05:01pm October 31 2012

I'd like to attest to what Psihomodo said. I live in Eastern Europe and it's the truth. Every derp is able to play a cracked PES on a cracked console over here. If it wasn't like that, PS wouldn't be as popular.

The misconception that the consoles are harder to pirate, is true only for the mainstream Western gamers. And I don't blame them, because I'd probably believe in such marketing fairytales myself if only my friends weren't so fucking broke, desperate, and intimately acquainted to every fucking pirating tool you can imagine.

Being poor yields higher intelligence and better survival skills. It can make you keen not only at tackling things above your level of interest and/or education, but that's usually the only way for some people to ever experience/enjoy anything outside their humble lives.

Try to grasp that concept, and expect to be overwhelmed by some very intelligent people if you ever allow us to have moneyz haha (I have sincere doubts, that's why I make your software while you're asleep ^^)

44M-Tas says:
01:09pm November 1 2012

In Eastern Europe People buy an Xbox360 and the first thing the seller will ask you is if you want to have it chipped for a nominal fee. This is completely normal and accepted. Not a lot of people buy consoles in big stores over here. Here the people that go buy their consoles and generally other stuff at places similar to Walmart are the minority all the while its the other way around in the US or even UK. The network of friends exchanging their copied games mentioned by Psihomodo is very real and the most common thing. With all this said. Most people (that have acceptable PC's) do still use their PC's for piracy and dont have a console. So I would definitely say that PC gaming is a bigger thing over here than in the west, mostly due to piracy being such an easy task.

ArthasReborn says:
08:59pm November 1 2012

And, as someone from Hong Kong, I can say that console piracy is FAR higher there than PC piracy. Discs are cheap, burners are cheap, modded consoles are sold in half the stores there, and a lot of stores will even offer to sell you burned games if you don't want to do it yourself.

Can anyone here agree or refute these claims? As an American I'd admit I've been fed the line that console piracy is much more difficult, I wonder what the videogame scene would be like if that was not a widely held belief.

Nomad said:

That article is nothing but a bunch of junk spewed forth by some third rate gaming site that's desperate for hits.

A better, more realistic GTA V PC article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/waiting-for-grand-theft-auto-v-on-pc

oh, and

IGN - GTA V is only confirmed for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Why not the PC, Wii U and so on?

Dan Houser - Everything else is up for consideration. That's all I can give you.

from this interview posted on IGN today.

phi108 said:

Can anyone here agree or refute these claims? As an American I'd admit I've been fed the line that console piracy is much more difficult, I wonder what the videogame scene would be like if that was not a widely held belief.

Well things are obviously easier if you buy a pre-"chipped" console from some insalubrious vendor, ready to play a pirated game that only requires you to burn it onto a disk. Or if you know what you're doing with a soldering iron and can mod the console yourself.

But the fact remains that there's fewer steps involved in PC game piracy, without divulging any details. Unless you're completely clueless around computers, in which case you're probably going to be playing console games exclusively anyway.

EDIT: Xbox Live has a way of knowing whether your Xbox360 is chipped, and bans you for it. So you play "free" games at the cost of never being able to play them online. Not sure about PSN.

phi108 said:

I haven't really followed the newer consoles outside of the Wii, but it's pretty simple on everything else. Pirating DS games (not 3DS, which hasn't been cracked yet to my knowledge) requires a flash card that can be gotten for as cheap as $10-20. That's a pretty nice deal when you're poor and a single game, even used, typically retails for more than that. The PSX and PS2 can both played burned copies with the assist of a GameShark/Action Replay, which were sold in every retail store when those consoles still had a market. Cart-based stuff was typically more expensive, since you needed specialized hardware (which is still being produced today, for hobbyists). There's more of a barrier of entry than on the PC where you download a torrent and it just works, but saying it's hard for the typical gamer is a bit of an overstatement. Finding the exploits in the first place is hard, but making use of them is pretty simple. (Worst case scenario, with no "soft" mods, you go to a shady store and buy a pre-chipped console, same as in Eastern Europe).

@phi108

I live in Eastern Europe and here it is considered extravagant to buy a 60$ game. I am not sure about console gaming here because I am a PC gamer and I am one of the few in my neighborhood who owns a high-end PC and can occasionally buy a 60$ game however, my friends consider this very geeky.

And no, console piracy is in fact very easy. Every town has a few console "modders" who put a chip in your console and voila, you can not only play pirated videogames but on the 360 you can also play them online. This happens because a lot of people are poor by western standards. For instance, a teacher earns about 400 euros per month here.

In some places decent internet costs a lot and some people don't want to pay for the games on top of it so they pirate to save money for their internet and their next pc upgrades and stuff.

Avoozl said:

In some places decent internet costs a lot and some people don't want to pay for the games on top of it so they pirate to save money for their internet and their next pc upgrades and stuff.

It's an understandable argument, if not a valid one. And in the case of Xbox Live, you're also paying a monthly/annual charge for the use of it on top of your existing ISP charges. Gaming is expensive.