Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is it just me, or do the graphics in RoE look worse in the BFG edition?

I just finished playing the Doom 3 campaign in the BFG edition on the PS3 and now I have started playing the RoE campaign.

Now is it just me, or do the graphics look worse/more washed out then they do in the Doom 3 campaign?

Perhaps this is just me seeing things? Because I swear that the game looks somewhat more low res/washed out when playing RoE then it does when you are playing the regular Doom 3. Also, framerate drops are more comon in RoE then they are in Doom 3.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I've had the BFG Edition for weeks but I still can't bring myself to sit through either Doom 3 or RoE again because I find them so tedious to play, but the framerate drops can perhaps be explained by more stuff happening on the screen, not that I noticed any difference with vanilla RoE compared to vanilla Doom 3. What kind of system do you have?

It's not possible for the "graphics" to look any different because it's the exact same engine underneath both games, which are built with the same tools using the same assets. But the washed-out look could be due to RoE being fractionally brighter on average (IIRC, been a while since I played it), the additional changes in the BFG edition making it more noticeable.

Take a screenshot of the exact same position in same map in both Doom 3 and RoE. Examine the results.

DoomUK said:

I've had the BFG Edition for weeks but I still can't bring myself to sit through either Doom 3 or RoE again because I find them so tedious to play

The BFG edition actually makes both games less tedious. The extra ammo makes the game easier which isn't really good per say, but it does mean that you won't ever run out of ammo and die because of that.

Also, there are some changes to some of the levels for the better. For example in Doom 3 and RoE there were these annoying sections where you had to fight through some toxic gas area and only had a limited amount of time to do so before you ran out of air and started to die. In the BFG edition these sections have been changed so that toxic gas is no longer presents and you never need to worry about air except in the handful of outdoor areas present in the game.

And then of course you can now have both a flashlight and a gun at the same time.

Overall I find the BFG edition to be much more arcadey and action focused, and while this comes at the expense of some of the horror feeling of the original game I personally think it makes the game better.

Never played vanilla RoE. Playing through the BFG edition of it right now and really enjoying myself. Whereas in Vanilla I would constantly sprint forward and it played more like an action game, this RoE I rarely sprint into areas I haven't already explored. I take it slow and steady. The ammo is tighter and the monsters slightly tougher. So far, really liking it.

Let's see what the Lost Missions bring, I guess.

EvilNed01 said:

Let's see what the Lost Missions bring, I guess.

The Lost Missions is basically just a 2-3 hour level pack with nothing new and almost no story content. Its still fun, but don't get your hopes up. The only really good thing about them are the 2 new hell levels.

Tech 4 in BFG Edition works in a similiar way to Tech 5, it maintains 60 frames per second all the time. In case of BFG, when the engine cannot keep 60fps, it scales down the resolution and the whole picture looks blurry. I've seen that happen occasionally. You can try turning antialiasing down if that happens too often.

[QUOTE]Touchdown said:
[B] when the engine cannot keep 60fps, it scales down the resolution and the whole picture looks blurry.

That could explain it!

I knew I wasn't just going mad.

But does that mean that RoE is harder on the hardware then the original Doom 3?

I played through the game with minor ammo issues sometimes in the original release but just as you don't spam ammo all over, you should be OK.

anybody noticed how broken the multiplayer is yet? it might not be as bad for the PC but the console version is next to unplayable!