Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

Untamed64 said:

Scuba wants Worst Wad & Mockaward to come back. I think we should do it, he is the creator of the Cacowards after all..

Except I'm not in charge anymore. Hobbs can do whatever he wants.

seconding KF. i'd say it's less doom-loves-quake and more doom meets arcade platformers. here's why it easily beats most of the stuff released for zdoom:

- the mod quite radically changes gameplay/content, but keeps it balanced with rigorous playtesting of provided original maps. new or tweaked gameplay elements are sensible and mesh together well, they're not just ye olde zdoom novelty features that can be cut out without anyone noticing.

- the original maps included in the wad tap into the potential of the new gameplay and exploit it to the fullest. you don't get hyperfast minicacos in doom2 map01, you don't rocketjump through plutonia2. kf changes doom and gives you maps designed for it. suck it, "gameplay mods".

- true 3d-oriented gameplay. platforms, air time unheard of outside of rocketjumping wads, fully exploited verticality. this is very rare in doom and it's almost miraculous when it actually works right. i mean, we still swoon over void.

(i'm mentioned in KF's credits, but let's just say that's varian being nice, not me actually helping with anything of consequence.)

Figured I'd throw some of my picks in here while I'm thinking about it.

Putrefier (Ed) - Architecturally stunning, even if it's a little too dark for my tastes. A truly impressive technical achievement for GZDoom wads. Other GZDoom authors may be able to learn a lot from this.

Coffee Break (Matt Tropiano) - 11 really solid maps? Neat! Matt Tropiano demonstrates a genuine understanding of proper layout flow and varied level progression here. It's consistently interesting and challenging. Can't ask for much more. Kudos!

Doom the Way ID Did (DTWID Team) - Do I need to explain? It's a shoo-in!

Community Chest 4 (TGH + Various) - TheGreenHerring's unwavering dedication to finishing this project this year is merit enough for CC4 to warrant an award, let alone the brilliance of Kassman's submissions. Yes, overall the wad is inconsistent in terms of quality, but this wad is finally finished. Congrats, TGH (and all else)!

Strife: Absolute Order (Khorus) - I've never really been able to get into Strife, but it's evident that Khorus has spent some real quality time getting to know the intricacies of its gameplay mechanics because not only is this one of the most engrossing wads I've played this year, it also feels right up there with the original game in terms of quality. Khorus improves upon every aspect of his level design in this wad and manages to create a much more solid gameplay experience than in Ganymede (which I also liked). Great stuff Khorus, keep on keepin' on.

Planisphere 2 (Perro Seco) - The framerate is microscopic, and the gameplay barely exists, yet holy spumoni! This is fucking gigantic. And not gigantic in an ugly (see MINDFUCK.WAD) way, but in a meticulously planned, geographically accurate way. A lot of sweat and blood went into making a to scale replica of New York for Doom 2, and while the buildings are largely undetailed (many are just giant cubes with stock doom2 textures painted over them), the automap is a work of art. Very neat to roam around in nomonsters mode, and definitely a noteworthy contender in my book. *This one isn't on /idgames as far as I know, so sorry if it can't count because of that*

Those are all I can think of right now. More may come to me in the next couple weeks.

NINJA NINJA: Thirded on Kill Frenzy. dew is infrequently wrong about these things!

gothic said:

any chance to Sergeant Mark IV for mapper of the year? I think he has a great potential at mapping, as seen on After the Holocaust and Neighborhood from Hell

Seconding both these maps, especially the Holocaust...always loved Duke city maps and this is another Doom one that out-Dukes many of them. It reminds me a lot of a map called Warzone, which was one of the finest Duke maps IMO. (although the moving turrets broke in atomic edition)

This is no disrespect to Sergeant Mark IV or anything but between those two maps is 70 hours work and you want to give him mapper of the year? If that would qualify the award it could be done in a week provided you work 10 hours each day. In my view that should only scratch the surface of mapper of the year. There are other authors with some great maps such as Khorus with Absolute Order, Z86 with HellBound (If finished in time),
Jack101 with Beyond Reality (My nomination for Mapper of year) and dannebubinga with Combat Shock 2. All those in my opinion is superior work to what Sergeant Mark did with those two maps (again no disrespect Mark). Anyways I'm just stating the facts here and you guys gotta be crazy to toss out a nomination to a mere 70 hours work when other mappers have put in over 1000 hours in some cases.

I've put 30000 hours in this square room with cyberdemon in a pit, gimme an award!
It is the work that counts, not the time you've spent.

I agree and disagree Memfis what basically I'm saying is a lot of people put in more time and produced better work and more content that is all.

+ 1 to Memfis for the most persistent mapper of the year

I agree and disagree Memfis what basically I'm saying is a lot of people put in more time and produced better work and more content that is all.

That's a flawed way to look at it.

There is no continual proportion in regards to time spent on creating content and quality of overall product. It's quite the opposite IMO - the less time you spend on making something that ends up being of notable quality, the higher the overall impression.

It's the quality of the product which should be the telling thing, not the time spent. For example Khorus Speedy shit won a cacoward and that took less than a month to make in comparison to CC4, both are really quality 32 map megawads and deserving of the award (I assume CC4 will be on the list btw :P)

Ok well that makes a bit more sense to me then, I guess I just had the wrong outlook on the award that explanation cleared things up quite a bit cannonball thanks.

The way I understand it, mapper of the year should go to someone who has produced multiple notable maps or map sets. Maybe they have contributed to several community projects, or perhaps they have released several high quality single maps. Maybe they HAVE created a megawad, but they should have also released other good material this year as well. If someone just creates a megawad, don't nominate them, nominate the megawad. This award goes to the most prolific mapper.

They could create two seperate awards for mapper of the year, one for a single map mapper and one for a megawad mapper. :P

Egregor said:

...mapper of the year should go to someone who has produced multiple notable maps or map sets.... This award goes to the most prolific mapper.

I believe that being prolific alone does not quality a mapper for this award. Your point about also having created "notable" mods is just as important.

Gez said:

So basically you nominate Khorus the mapper and Khorus the mapset.

Did nobody really nominate Ed C.'s Putrefier? If so, let me fix this injustice and nominate Putrefier.

BIG second. Ed's Putrifier was made out of pure awesome.

Well, it seems that 2012 is a great year for classic wads, unfortunately, that is not my thing. I always look for atmosphere and aesthetics (usually) above all else (yes, I know, gameplay is important, but to me, not as much as the aforementioned wad traits). Not on purpose, that's just what I thoroughly enjoy. Wads like Unloved, UTNT, & Hellground, to name a few, are like the greatest things that have ever graced the Doom world, IMHO (Not to mention Doom 3, which I personally think the authors did a f*!!#*g amazing job with, once again, IMHO). That having been said, I am glad for those who like classic wads, that they finally get a year, wherein, most of the good wads are, in fact, classic.

Enough ranting...

In short, I nominate the most atmospheric map I have played this year (although, it is not one of my favorites of all time or anything), Beyond Reality.

P.S. Not to be selfish or anything, but I really hope that 2013 has more atmospheric and mood setting wads than 2012. Not to be rude, but I just get sick of staring at the same textures from like 12 years ago. Eternal, Vader, Skillsaw, & Tormentor667 (among others...), keep doing your thing (PLEASE!) :)

I finally had the chance to play Putrefier, and I must say I would like to nominate it, as well.

Really enjoyed Reelism this year, because nothing says "joy" like setting Bronies on fire. Repeatedly.

Also CoDo II: Green Ops for the Mockaward, should it exist this year.

Yeeeeeees! (He sighs in relief that December 2012 is finally here).

I nominate, with no apprehension, the very much anticipated Unloved 2. It is, in my very humble opinion, not quite as good as the first one, but still better than 95% of the wads out there and 100% better than other wads made this year (so far, it is still submission season, after all). I feel it necessary to state that the only wad that I've seen so far with the potential to beat this one is Eternal's Frozen Time. However, I play with Brutal Doom, and that is, by no surprise, too taxing on my system. (Yes I know, I am Brutal Doom spoiled, but I am what I am).

I would say that Frozen Time is an easy nomination here, also, but as I have no real creedence to make that statement, I will have to stick to nominating just Unloved 2, for now.