Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Imagine a world where Doom II was never released, and the levels never saw the light of day. The only bit of information that ever saw the light of day were the titles of the 32 maps, cryptic as can be. What kind of map would "The Crusher" be, or "O of Destruction," who knows? -- Ella Guro, project founder.

The idea of this project is to create 32 maps for Doom II, based around the titles of the 32 levels of PC Doom II. Aside from some extra liquid falls, and a new texture set in Wolfenstein, the project uses stock textures only, and is compatible with Vanilla/Chocolate Doom.

IDGAMES LINK
D2INO IS DONE!
The project began on August 17, 2012, 666 days ago. Well timed people!

The Levels

I'll let you know on the status of my MAP30; as stated before, I've become a little busy with freelance work - if I've still not got anything done on it by the time the year's out, I shall give up the slot -- maybe hand my map to somebody else to finish. :)

Hmm, if I ever get 'round to doing the Wolfenstein "remake" I've got in mind, would you be opposed to allowing some custom textures for it? The default Wolf textures aren't going to be useful at all stylistically, but I'm not sure if Doom's textures are going to do the trick either.

Xaser said:

Hmm, if I ever get 'round to doing the Wolfenstein "remake" I've got in mind, would you be opposed to allowing some custom textures for it? The default Wolf textures aren't going to be useful at all stylistically, but I'm not sure if Doom's textures are going to do the trick either.

Maybe, it is a secret level so it might be OK.
I will say I'm opposed for now, when you get mapping if you can use the default textures, and show some screenshots of how it looks and if it looks terrible, then I'll allow custom textures, but keep in mind I want to keep the idea of using original textures only.

3 more shots of MAP22

Lighting is a major part of detail for this map, I just hope I can make the gameplay just as good.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4333/screenshotdoom201211232.png

A plasma gun unguarded? Hmmm
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4333/screenshotdoom201211232.png

I took the red key and everything started caving in around me!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4333/screenshotdoom201211232.png

Spoiler

Then I was buggered by an archvile

ComicMischief
I'll let you know on the status of my MAP30; as stated before, I've become a little busy with freelance work - if I've still not got anything done on it by the time the year's out, I shall give up the slot -- maybe hand my map to somebody else to finish. :)

Well as mentioned in this OP, there's no solid deadline yet so you don't have to send it to someone at the end of the year, especially if MAP30 isn't that long, so only do so if you really can't finish it. I'm thinking of a June 30th deadline, it's halfway through the year, why not?
If someone has a better idea for final deadline then I will consider suggestions of course. :)

Hey guys, just dropping by to say that I'm still making my map, only I'm still having some problems coming up with an idea for the final room. Glad to see the project still has some life - if progress slows even more than it already has, would you all accept the possibility of mappers being allowed to do more than two submissions? I know that was a limition of the previous thread, but there seems to be a couple guys (including myself, when I feel motivated and have the time) who seem eager enough to contribute more maps. I bring this up in the case that the project continues for another 3-4 months with little to no progress and a bunch of map spots to fill.

And answering a question from the last thread by Eris; yeah, my submission for Tenemants will be a lot more focused on the name in that it'll take part in a more recognizable living area - however, I randomly felt pretty inspired by Map 21 of Alien Vendetta so that's crept into things a little. Is that a good thing, or bad? ¦P

CorSair said:

oops. Seem I am being stupid again. :P

Anyway, I would like to try Refueling Base, if you will.

I will mark you down.

schwerpunk
That looks really good/fun, Eris, and definitely catacomb-y. :)

Well I'm not entirely sure about fun yet, but thanks for the 'good' hehe

an_mutt
if progress slows even more than it already has, would you all accept the possibility of mappers being allowed to do more than two submissions?

I think...I will bump it up to 3. That still allows for a good variation on the mapping style, but maps shouldn't be next to each other, because I, and I'm sure everyone will agree, the map style should be different each time So for example, I can't do MAP06 because I have MAP07 too.

I randomly felt pretty inspired by Map 21 of Alien Vendetta so that's crept into things a little. Is that a good thing, or bad?

Looks good to me. :)

an_mutt said:

And answering a question from the last thread by Eris; yeah, my submission for Tenemants will be a lot more focused on the name in that it'll take part in a more recognizable living area - however, I randomly felt pretty inspired by Map 21 of Alien Vendetta so that's crept into things a little. Is that a good thing, or bad? ¦P

That map is really nice looking, sort of hellish with some tech overtones, would work really well in an episode 2 slot here so looking forward to this :)

Ok mark me down for map21 then. I have some ideas for it, prepare for a quieter map compared to my last offering.

cannonball said:

That map is really nice looking, sort of hellish with some tech overtones, would work really well in an episode 2 slot here so looking forward to this :)

Ok mark me down for map21 then. I have some ideas for it, prepare for a quieter map compared to my last offering.

Haha, ok marked you down.

Also edited the OP criteria.
MAPS 1-10 MUST NOT CONTAIN A CYBERDEMON OR BFG9000 - Requested by Eregore/Egregor
MAPS 1-6 MUST NOT CONTAIN MANCUBI OR ARACHNOTRONS - Requested by yours truly.

Eris Falling said:

3 more shots of MAP22

Lighting is a major part of detail for this map, I just hope I can make the gameplay just as good.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4333/screenshotdoom201211232.png

A plasma gun unguarded? Hmmm
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4333/screenshotdoom201211232.png

I took the red key and everything started caving in around me!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4333/screenshotdoom201211232.png

Looking good Eris, although I must say screenshot 1 looks a bit bland. Don't get me wrong - the lighting is good, I just think you could be a little more creative with the textures.

Ugalabuga said:

Looking good Eris, although I must say screenshot 1 looks a bit bland. Don't get me wrong - the lighting is good, I just think you could be a little more creative with the textures.

I only built that area last night. I might try varied textures, but it's worth remembering it's all part of the same tunnel, and the rock is the same all through.
If textures don't work, some creepy corpses might. They are only merely tunnels connecting the catacombs themselves.

Next I have to do path to blue key (going north from Cybertele chamber).

Then blue key can get you going east from the cybertele chamber on a long and potentially very difficult journey through the main catacombs.
You can't get back through the cathedral, the only way to the teleporter to MAP23 is through...

I haven't touched my map (MAP23) in a while and now it seems I've accidentally deleted it. You can take me out of the map slot.

cannonball said:

Eris Falling's map looks like being a tricky one. So expect a nice quiet picturesque level with a nice peaceful tune.

Yes, yes it is :)

How are you interpreting Nirvana then? Looks like an interesting concept so far.

Vaporiser said:

I haven't touched my map (MAP23) in a while and now it seems I've accidentally deleted it. You can take me out of the map slot.

Damn that sucks. Slot opened.

On map02 the bleeding flat trick near the beginning doesn't work correctly because of the sector 16. This is how I would fix it.

On map26 there is many missing textures resulting in HOMs, what the hell happened?

Memfis said:

On map26 there is many missing textures resulting in HOMs, what the hell happened?

Olympus used mudfall textures, obviously this will be dealt with in the final release.

Version 1 of Nirvana
http://www.mediafire.com/?1j35wqas2s8pb4v
Nirvana - A word used in Indian religion meaning profound peace of mind or peace from suffering is another derivation.
This map is set in a peace secluded spot with a few wooden huts around a canal. But things are not what they seem as you slowly uncover the truth that you are in hell itself.
I will leave the rest for you to discover. Plays with choco render limits so all is well.
Made in one day, so it's pretty short. The map is very much inspired by Map21 of Epic 2.
Edit - Map uses waterfall texture in the northwest area of the map.

cannonball said:

Version 1 of Nirvana
http://www.mediafire.com/?1j35wqas2s8pb4v
Nirvana - A word used in Indian religion meaning profound peace of mind or peace from suffering is another derivation.
This map is set in a peace secluded spot with a few wooden huts around a canal. But things are not what they seem as you slowly uncover the truth that you are in hell itself.
I will leave the rest for you to discover. Plays with choco render limits so all is well.
Made in one day, so it's pretty short. The map is very much inspired by Map21 of Epic 2.
Edit - Map uses waterfall texture in the northwest area of the map.

My god that was fast! O_O
OP updated, testing now.

Eris Falling said:

OP updated, testing now.

Crap weather and nothing else to do = Build map very quickly :P
Oh there are no difficulty settings as of yet

cannonball said:

Crap weather and nothing else to do = Build map very quickly :P
Oh there are no difficulty settings as of yet

Yeah, weathers shit here too. I just haven't been mapping, missed a good chance there actually, although I guess it hasn't finished... I think you still need difficulty settings for MAP15 too :P

Okay, MAP21

Not bad for a first version, good overall concept/layout and fun Tyson map, although I think several improvements/tweaks could be made.

1) In the start room, maybe make the sector with the rocky floor next to the fire damaging to simulate burning?

2) The outdoor area by the house could use some decoration, it seems a tad empty at the moment.

For now, that is as much as I can remember. Nice work :)

cannonball said:

Cheers for the feedback, here is version 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?i1ns294g7cbz6rw
Start room and outdoor section has extra detail. Can't really do much more with the outside due to almost reaching the drawsegs limit.
Yep, I shall worry about difficulty settings a bit later I think

That's a lot better, nice one. Although you might want to flag the windows in the start room as impassable, as you can climb onto one of the chairs then run out of them.

cannonball said:

Cheers for the feedback, here is version 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?i1ns294g7cbz6rw
Start room and outdoor section has extra detail. Can't really do much more with the outside due to almost reaching the drawsegs limit.
Yep, I shall worry about difficulty settings a bit later I think

Great map mate. The traps - they were really unexpected (except for the baron of hell, unless it was intentional :p). I find myself surprised more often than not while playing this one trough.

EDIT: I just opened your map in DB2, and I think you should join sector 107 with a bigger sector, or add more monsters in the blue key room. One time I was playing trough the map, I got the blue key without firing any weapons. This caused some traps to not trigger, thus decreasing the overall difficulty.

Eris Falling said:

It's been asked before, but is there a limit as to how big a vanilla map can be?

According to the wiki:

• BLOCKMAP lump must not exceed 65535 bytes in size
  • Map can contain maximally 32768 segments (and the same for linedefs, sidedefs, subsectors, nodes)
  • Coordinates of verticles should be numbers between -20000 and +20000
As far as I know, there are no other size limitations, but maybe I'm wrong. See the link above for more info.

I would also like to let you know that I'm still working on my map, although the progression is really slow. Due to real life problems, I cannot spend so much time on map making as it used to be, and unfortunately, I don't think it will get better in (near) future. After I will finish MAP19 for this project, I will probably take a break from mapping.

The map: I made very little layout progress in past month. Automap looks very similar to the screenshot I posted a month ago. I just made some minor changes, added detail (rooms now has furniture ;) ) and aligned textures. The map is still far from being finished, but as I said, I am going to work on it further. I will post new screenshots soon.