Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

Silent Hill Wad

What's your favorite Silent Hill title?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Silent Hill title?

• Silent Hill
    • Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
    • Silent Hill 3
    • Silent Hill 4: The Room
    • Silent Hill Origins
    • Silent Hill Homecoming
    • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
    • Silent Hill Downpour

vinnie245 said:

Guess Pyramid Head can be a final boss or show up when you dont want him too :P

I'd like to at least incorporate the Bogeyman (Pyramid Head's look-alike from both the movie and Homecoming) some way into this wad.

However, the Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 is a punisher only meant for James Sunderland, so it probably wouldn't be that PH.

sector666 said:

Bloody Mary? That's all I got.

Might be a good idea to name it after some defining trait. How does it attack? What kind of sounds does it make?

I'm surprised no one's suggested an asylum.

Some kind of cathedral that was converted to/made for dark purposes could also be good. Maybe that's even where the monsters are coming from or where the worst ones can be found.

I just saw this post now, for some reason I had missed it. That's actually another good name suggestion. Although, I wonder if people would think that it would be related to James Sunderland's wife Mary from Silent Hill 2.

An asylum would be a WONDERFUL idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that...

Oh, by the way, everybody. I'm thinking about making this wad nonlinear and somewhat open-town (a smaller type of open-world). By that I mean, you can visit different buildings in Silent Hill at any time you want, instead of going in a certain order. Should I do it this way, or should I keep it linear like most Silent Hill titles?

If you wanna include a plot then a linear playthrough would be the most logical answer, would also be more like silent hill in general.

vinnie245 said:

If you wanna include a plot then a linear playthrough would be the most logical answer, would also be more like silent hill in general.

I guess that'd make it easier on me, as well, since I'll be able to know where the player should go next and place items accordingly.

Find a way to disable run. Doomguy has always been a badass because he can out-maneuver every enemy, and even projectiles! slaughter-maps are only possible because of constant running. Contrasting this, Silent Hill is a survivalist game, where the main character has always felt weak and clumsy. How do you create that vibe in Doom? Weak weaponry, and most importantly, disabled run.

Oh, and I like the idea of this WAD being 2 or 3 very large 'open world' maps, with the 1st key hidden somewhere in the town. Make each 'dungeon' building (ie hospital, school, etc.) have main access through a key door(s). the first two dungeons would have the other 2 keys, while the last dungeon had a level exit. if you did this each 'world map' could have 3 of those dungeons. use walk over warping to make the 'darkness dimensions'. Using this setup would make the maps more linear-ish, which would match the Silent Hill theme.

Egregor said:

Find a way to disable run. Doomguy has always been a badass because he can out-maneuver every enemy, and even projectiles! slaughter-maps are only possible because of constant running. Contrasting this, Silent Hill is a survivalist game, where the main character has always felt weak and clumsy. How do you create that vibe in Doom? Weak weaponry, and most importantly, disabled run.

Oh, and I like the idea of this WAD being 2 or 3 very large 'open world' maps, with the 1st key hidden somewhere in the town. Make each 'dungeon' building (ie hospital, school, etc.) have main access through a key door(s). the first two dungeons would have the other 2 keys, while the last dungeon had a level exit. if you did this each 'world map' could have 3 of those dungeons. use walk over warping to make the 'darkness dimensions'. Using this setup would make the maps more linear-ish, which would match the Silent Hill theme.

Is there a script for disabling running? I could use that script myself if there is one! Also, is there a script for disabling jumping?

no problem.

to disable jumping just create a "mapinfo" lump with slade3 or xwe and type:

cluster 1 {

hub

}

defaultmap {

fallingdamage 
nojump 
cluster = 1

}

NOTE: this code will affect all the maps in your Pwad, it set a little fallingdamage (the hexen one), and set all the levels to act like the hexen's hubs. you can also add any other thing you have in mind here, like a custom enter\exit text.

using a script editor you can change any properties of any in-game actor, this example will halves the player speed:
#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 enter
{
SetActorProperty (0, APROP_Speed, 0.5);
}

NOTE: 0 refers to the activator of the script, for a singleplayer map when you begin a script with "enter" the activator is the player.

from zdoom wiki, regarding the "APROP_Speed" keyword :

"For players, this is multiplied by the player's class speed to determine the final speed the player will move for each tic that they have a movement key held down. Consequently, the standard APROP_Speed for a player is always 1.0, not what their actual speed is. "

so setting it to 0.5 will cut to the half the maximum speed a player can reach.

hope i was clear enougth...

Cacowad said:

no problem.

to disable jumping just create a "mapinfo" lump with slade3 or xwe and type:

cluster 1 {

hub

}

defaultmap {

fallingdamage 
nojump 
cluster = 1

}

NOTE: this code will affect all the maps in your Pwad, it set a little fallingdamage (the hexen one), and set all the levels to act like the hexen's hubs. you can also add any other thing you have in mind here, like a custom enter\exit text.

using a script editor you can change any properties of any in-game actor, this example will halves the player speed:
#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 enter
{
SetActorProperty (0, APROP_Speed, 0.5);
}

NOTE: 0 refers to the activator of the script, for a singleplayer map when you begin a script with "enter" the activator is the player.

from zdoom wiki, regarding the "APROP_Speed" keyword :

"For players, this is multiplied by the player's class speed to determine the final speed the player will move for each tic that they have a movement key held down. Consequently, the standard APROP_Speed for a player is always 1.0, not what their actual speed is. "

so setting it to 0.5 will cut to the half the maximum speed a player can reach.

hope i was clear enougth...

Thanks alot! Gonna try this out when I have time!

Just saw your posts, guys. **

Guess what? I already had run disabled before you guys suggested it. :P

All I did was set the player property so that if the player's health is below 501, he can't run.

(His max health in this wad is 500)

PhantomTMac said:

Just saw your posts, guys. **

Guess what? I already had run disabled before you guys suggested it. :P

All I did was set the player property so that if the player's health is below 501, he can't run.

(His max health in this wad is 500)

You didn't specify this, but since your opening post mentions 3D floors, my guess is that this is going to be a ZDoom / GZDoom TC?

Agentbromsnor said:

You didn't specify this, but since your opening post mentions 3D floors, my guess is that this is going to be a ZDoom / GZDoom TC?

It's being created with "Doom in Hexen" Format, but I do all of my testing and replaying with Skulltag's engine.

What weapons from previous Silent Hill games do you want to use in first person? What monsters scared you in the series? What locations give you psychological tension? Help me make this wad a true Silent Hill feeling experience!

PhantomTMac said:

What weapons from previous Silent Hill games do you want to use in first person? What monsters scared you in the series? What locations give you psychological tension? Help me make this wad a true Silent Hill feeling experience!

The axe and the lead pipe (not sure if I'm naming that right) should be in there I think. But regardless of weapons, you should use authentic looking sprites and not crappy sprites from 15 year old games IMO. :P

Agentbromsnor said:

The axe and the lead pipe (not sure if I'm naming that right) should be in there I think. But regardless of weapons, you should use authentic looking sprites and not crappy sprites from 15 year old games IMO. :P

Like I said, I don't plan on using any stock objects, so I can definitely try to make the weapons look good.

It must have the iconic pipe as a weapon. Definitely my go-to weapon in those games.

This might be an unpopular one, but the ghosts in SH4 scared the shit out of me because they wouldn't die and made the screen go crazy when in the same room. It was also a thrill to run back into a room to remove a sword from the ghost to use it on another one, only to have the pinned ghost come after me again. If any of that is possible in a Doom mod, you would be my hero.

Just an update!

This project is still being developed. It's been an on and off development, but I thought I might as well share a few images just to let everyone know that the Silent Hill: Castaways Doom wad is still in the works! :)

Holy thread necromancy, Batman! This looks very cool.

In terms of areas/themes I'd like to see incorporated... well, you mention the player character as havign a past he's trying to erase, so I guess it's going to depend on what location(s) might be central to that past? Wherever the player character's memories are most strongly cemented - through long exposure, or trauma, or a pivotal event - that's obviously something that makes a lot of sense to include. Are you looking to built a location around a story you've already fleshed out all the details of, or are the final details of the story flexible depending on finding an area/theme you find enjoyable to work with as the climactic centrepiece of the WAD?

If it's the latter... I don't know how well this might align with the themes you're already working with, but one possibility to capture the Silent Hill 'feel' is to have a location appearing several times in an increasingly ruined, distorted, and terrible state, also rising in scale in prominence this time. A house that the player passes through on the first map, perfectly normal except for an internal-monologue remark that it "seems familiar," but popping up again and again over subsequent maps or in deeper corners of the WAD, and every time it appears it's bigger, appears more prominently, is more wrong in specific ways.

Obsidian said:

Oh hey, I never noticed this! What particular SH game are you drawing inspiration from, out of interest?

I'm trying to include elements that made the first four games extremely memorable, while also trying to create my own personal touch to the series that would work well with the Doom engine.

TheOrganGrinder said:

Are you looking to built a location around a story you've already fleshed out all the details of, or are the final details of the story flexible depending on finding an area/theme you find enjoyable to work with as the climactic centrepiece of the WAD?

I have a very deep and dark story planned out that will fit the Silent Hill style very well. I plan to have the architecture follow the story for the most part, while also giving the character reasons to explore more of the series staples such as a hotel or hospital.

This looks pretty good actually. It captures that charming shitty PS1 graphics style which shows you're going for that retro feel most people would like. Is good. Carry on.