Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Claustrophobia 1024 3?

I can remember that when I was a newbie on this forum, somebody (maybe Rambosse) asked that are there any chances to a third sequel to the famous Claustrophobia 1024 series.The answer was "no", but that way more than a year ago already, so I ask again.

In 2013, are there any chances to start Claustrophobia 1024 3?

I like the idea of that, but maybe it's because I'm a newbie. Older and more experienced players might think that the idea's been worn out - I'm not sure.

"Claustrophobia 3", more like "I will drag the gameplay out as long as possible by teleporting 1000 monsters each time you make a step 3".

Obsidian said:

OMG yes! We could call it Confinement 1024!

Better yet, Clustraphobia for the cluster fuckerage these maps often are ;)

I certainly wouldn't discourage another community 1024 mapset - as a developmental challenge they're quick and easy to undertake, but really foster creative usage of the space available. We'd just need to make sure it's well-ran and the direction (vanilla/limit-removing/advanced port; is there a texture set; any other custom resources; etc.) are all set out plainly and comprehensively at the start.

Memfis said:

"Claustrophobia 3", more like "I will drag the gameplay out as long as possible by teleporting 1000 monsters each time you make a step 3".

A 1024 wad where every monster would have to be within the playable area right away could be interesting.

Phml said:

A 1024 wad where every monster would have to be within the playable area right away could be interesting.

and keep it interesting over 32 maps? rather improbable.

Wouldn't be worse than the previous 1024 megawads in that regard, so trying something different would beat repeating past failures.

Phobus said:

I certainly wouldn't discourage another community 1024 mapset - as a developmental challenge they're quick and easy to undertake, but really foster creative usage of the space available. We'd just need to make sure it's well-ran and the direction (vanilla/limit-removing/advanced port; is there a texture set; any other custom resources; etc.) are all set out plainly and comprehensively at the start.

Thoroughly agree with this statement, let me tell you. Reverse engineering texture packs to fit already completed maps is not as fun as it sounds.

I imagine the project would need to be at least limit removing. Otherwise it would be in effect, "Doom2 1024."

I really enjoyed the 1024 series, but I am a little biased, seeing as I was so involved with Claustrophobia 1 and 2, though not with the original Congestion 1024.

That said, I would happily play another 1024 megawad. It would suffer from the same thing that all community based megawads suffer from. ie no continuity, but still it would be fun.

I enjoyed building a level for Claustrophobia 1024, and there are certainly some very fun and impressive levels in the set, but to be honest I couldn't get through the whole megawad -- the tendency to build incredibly cramped, mazelike layouts rather than efficiently using the space led to a lot of levels being nearly unplayable.

I would certainly enjoy playing through another 1024 map set. Congestion 1024 is still one of my all-time favorite wads! The trick to making 1024 levels in my opinion, is to stay away from the tightly-packed mazes and rather make good use of the space. Essentially essel hit it on the head as far as my personal opinion goes. I learned that after my first two 1024 maps, the first of which was a bit clusterfuckish and confusing and the second which was very cluttered and a pain to navigate. The problem is when it is a community effort, everyone contributing is going to have different styles and philosophies which can create a mixed bag. A smaller mapping team could fix this, but then that's not nearly as fun :P

That being said, I would personally like to see the 1024 theme cross over into new territory. I remember a few years back someone mentioned the idea of doing 1024³ maps using linked portals in the Eternity Engine (was that you essel?). Essentially you'd be restricted to gameplay confined withing a 1024x1024x1024 space, which is feasible with linked portals. That is a really interesting idea that I had plans to act on but never really got the chance. That theme might limit some mappers who aren't comfortable with linked portals though, but the idea is sound.

I'd also really love to see a 1024 map set for Doom 64. It really needs some love from the community, and a 1024 project could certainly help remedy that!

Why should it be named Claustrophobia 3 anyway?

The first in the series was Congestion 1024, which inspired Congestion 64, Congestion 384, Confinement 512, and finally Claustrophobia 1024.

The only reason there was a Claustrophobia 1024-2 is because it was a community project which produced a lot more than 32 maps. For a brand new 1024 project, a new name ought to be coined. Constriction 1024 or whatever.

zClaustrophobia including 80 new monsters, full Hexen format, tons of ACS scripting, 320kbs OGG music, and cinematics exclusively for GZDoom.

:P

I'd rather see a new "10 Sectors" tbh. That concept has been far less explored and it'd be reallt interesting to see the community's approach to it as compared to its last release.

I still fully support the EE 1024 idea, though.

Gez said:

Why should it be named Claustrophobia 3 anyway?
For a brand new 1024 project, a new name ought to be coined. Constriction 1024 or whatever.

I think that was the name Death-Destiny had in mind for Claustrophobia 2 before the manure hit the fan. Containment 1024 has a decent ring to it though.

dew said:

2monsters! 2 monster types per map!

for some reason I like this idea, I'm imagining the horrors of a sizable AV/cyb map....

Ribbiks said:

for some reason I like this idea, I'm imagining the horrors of a sizable AV/cyb map....

that's the beauty of it... i can think of many interesting combinations. chainers&mancubuses, eh, eh?

dew said:

2monsters! 2 monster types per map!

And inevitably, somebody makes a map filled with nothing but Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds, to the chagrin of pretty much everybody. (Unless it's basically Gotcha! on a larger scale, with the focus on starting infighting. Then it might be interesting.)

darkreaver said:

Circumscribed? :P Sounds silly.

Cramped 1024! Probably wouldn't be too far off the mark, either.

Whilst 1 monster was mixed in it's offerings (ironically such fantastic level designs were wasted on the utilisation of 1 monster). The two monster rule could be really interesting to design.
Though another 1024 wad wouldn't be a too bad option.

yah! kinda wrong thread for it atm, but if someone starts that project off I'd definitely make a few maps for it

HK/rev would be delicious RL spammy
mastermind/chaingunner, oh god the hitscanning....

Ribbiks said:

yah! kinda wrong thread for it atm, but if someone starts that project off I'd definitely make a few maps for it

HK/rev would be delicious RL spammy
mastermind/chaingunner, oh god the hitscanning....

If someone was up for spearheading this, then I'm sure they could politely ask a mod to split this section away and begin from there. I would happily make a map for this :)

I think the two monster x 1024 idea is a neat one, although space would be limited for some people. I would like to contribute to a 1024 project though, especially since I make maps too big anyway and it'll be a nice bit of practice to focus on smaller design.