Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

hooray

All doom2 textures are now finished! Thanks to Andrew Apted, Espi and Fredrik for the last remaining patches!

There are 8 remaining Doom 1 textures (9 really, one cant be done until we have a baron replacement so i temporary linked it to a blank brick wall):

EDIT: fredrik, like some kind of swedish texture superhero, has finished off the remaining doom 1 textures too. So we now have a complete texture set! I've added the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps into the build too, with the combined texture list. [PS. thanks to espi for finishing off wall70_3 which was missing from the patches list]

Well I tried the texture wad with doom1 and doom2 on all levels, and it didnt crash on any levels. I did stumble across a bug with the SW1STON2 texture, which despite existing in both games, is a totally different texture in doom2 to the texture in doom1. I dont see any way to fix this at the moment, so I'm going to leave it. There may be other similar texture bugs although hopefully they're not too common. We may have to release a small pwad to fix small things like this.

It would be nice to release a texture wad, to upload to 3darchives (is that where the cdrom.com stuff is now?). What do other people think about this idea?

Well, I think the idea of uploading an texture wad is not bad. But are all the textures the way we want them? There are some rather crappy textures in there (well, at least my door15_3; someone replace it, PLEASE).

Actually I dont think that texture is too bad, but I agree there are some bad textures that need to be replaced if possible before a proper release.

Well, it might not be too bad as a stand-alone textures, but between the other door textures (they are fredrik's, aren't they) it just looks cheap and unprofessional.

I did stumble across a bug with the SW1STON2 texture, which despite existing in both games, is a totally different texture in doom2 to the texture in doom1... There may be other similar texture bugs although hopefully they're not too common. We may have to release a small pwad to fix small things like this.

There are more exactly like this:

In DOOM2 the following textures all look like SWXBRCOM despite the fact they are totally different in DOOM1:

SWXBRN1
SWXSTARG
SWXSTON2
SWXSTONE

Dunno why as I am pretty sure the patches to support at least some of them are in doom2 as well as in doom1, but it seems to be a generic substitute appearance for switches effectively removed from the texture set, but still recognised by the EXE. Why they just weren't made to look like the new switches id added (eg SWXMARB etc) is anyone's guess.

How come the RSKY2 patch is back to front? Well flipped along the vertical axis anyways?

Is it not the case that all sky graphics are reversed when they are actually used as a sky? With RSKY2 having lettering on it, it's more obvious though. Hmmm, I'll have to go check.