Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

PSX Doom Password Algorithm?

I can't find the exact page ATM, but I remember ledmeister's site documented certain things about the passwords in PSX and N64 Doom. I think it's the FAQ section. Maybe that might be of help.

I don't know anything about PSX Doom, but I knew in some games that saved your progress via passwords, there were certain characters you could type in certain positions that would give you full health or change the level you were on or something. I was able to guess a couple of them just through simple trial and error.

GhostlyDeath said:

Is there any information on the format of PSX Doom passwords?

No information yet but I am certain is similar to Doom64's (you can check out the existing algorithm for that in Doom64EX). I can disassemble PSXDoom real quick and find out for you.

By the way, this is the source code to Doom64's password algorithm: https://doom64ex.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/m_password.c

I really like to see this better documented on the Doom wiki but unfortunately, I do not understand the algorithm myself as I only re-interpreted it via disassembly.

Anyone can shed some light on how this algorithm works so it can be properly documented on the wiki?

Kaiser said:

By the way, this is the source code to Doom64's password algorithm: https://doom64ex.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/m_password.c

I really like to see this better documented on the Doom wiki but unfortunately, I do not understand the algorithm myself as I only re-interpreted it via disassembly.

Anyone can shed some light on how this algorithm works so it can be properly documented on the wiki?

Would you be able to pass me a PSX Doom assembly dump?

GhostlyDeath said:

Would you be able to pass me a PSX Doom assembly dump?

Sure thing. Its been a while since I looked at it but let me see if I can dig it up somewhere. I am always on IRC most of the time if you ever need to poke me for something.

Kaiser said:

The algorithm in your disassembled source code reads like a fairly simple symmetrical block transposition cipher. I don't have the time to look at it in any detail, though.