Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

What maps are you working on guys and gals?

The last maps I have attempted to make outside of Doom were for Jedi Outcast/Academy, one of them was based on the laser facility Co-Op map from the game 007 Everything or Nothing.

Still working on fixing up a set of Doom levels I released a while back with map tweaks, new music, and some updated to DED files. I seem to work on these things very slowly anymore.

I've got a really weird and unique direction of mapping that I'm working on, which combines the highly detailed styles of today's best maps with all new gritty industrial textures, thematic doom elements, moody lighting with the abstract, imaginative, assymetrical, non-linear, deathmatch + cooperative-compatible and secret-abundant character of 1994 single-level pwads into a full length 5-episode 32-level megawad.

I've gotten a lot of the planning done, but my levels of expectation for it are so high that drawing a single sector can be extremely tantalizing. I've got tons of papers with sketches of rooms and layouts for inspiration, and I've been studying a lot of maps of the early 90's, as well as the maps of popular mappers this year, and I intend to combine it into a near-perfect Doom experience. I've got a few maps completely done and over 50 half-way done maps that I intend to combine together in a fashion that makes them feel "complete," even if that means making over 60% of the areas of the completed maps into "secret areas."

I have very little time to spend actually making the maps as I usually use the little downtime I have playing Doom, but I do invest a good bit of time thinking about how I want to do things in this wad when I'm away from the computer.

I kinda wish I didn't share so much information but... there ya go.

Getting ready to Doom again for maps, but outside of Doom only thing I've mapped recently (And by that I mean several years ago) has been Jedi Outcast and Wolf3D. I liked my Wolf3D maps, but that's easy. I just couldn't get into GTKRadient for JK2. Only map I can really remember is one that simply consisted of a huge ass room with a huge ass platform. No bot paths or code to die if you fell off the platform, you just fell and took a lot of damage and waited for someone else to fall down and kill you or hope you found some gun to kill yourself with.

However, it could've made for some humorous games of CTF in all truth.

I'm not really sure what is going to come from this, if anything. I think part of the problem with mapping with the expectation of some eventual release is that I feel like it has to be the greatest work ever. I'm trying to stretch myself out of that mind set and just make what I want to make. What I've got so far is just a WIP for vanilla, of course, and Doom II.

picture

Currently, I'm trying to wrap my head around a deathmatch map idea that I had that involves a moving skybox. I want to create the illusion that the map is zipping around a larger landscape while the players wage war with one another.

I want to use interpolation points but I'm not sure on how to get them to work with a skybox viewpoint. Anyone else have any experience working with moving skybox veiwpoints?

Aliotroph? said:

I'm working on harassing Doom Dude until he finishes Vilecore 2. I've been working on that for ten years.

Yeah! Seriously, why does he keep putting it off?! >:(

Aliotroph? said:

I'm working on harassing Doom Dude until he finishes Vilecore 2. I've been working on that for ten years.

Joshy said:

Yeah! Seriously, why does he keep putting it off?! >:(

I don't know but I wish he would stop slacking off like that. ;)

Uhhh anyways I'm working on several things. Currently being slack on them all tho.

For Doom 2: Vilecore 2, Constriction Zone, Stalking Evil and Lair of the Vile. Also Dark Bastion which is close to being done.

As for non Doom stuff. For Oblivion there's Fort Stark, which was going along great and then I started a cave / ruin for Skyrim but I got ticked off at it.

Perhaps you could release a few complete Vilecore 2 levels, we would comment on them and that would inspire you. That works for some people. (hard to stay motivated when you work on something for years without any feedback)

Underhalls remake, just deleted half of the level. Well, the next draft should be better.

Also have couple of other projects for Doom II in various stages of completeness, one of them is a TC.

Source-Based Modification; Single-Player.

It's an untitled project but it'll feature a 4 episode system with 10 levels each (Plus secret ones). These are older build screenshots but I haven't taken any new ones yet and won't until it's more polished.

Memfis said:

Perhaps you could release a few complete Vilecore 2 levels, we would comment on them and that would inspire you. That works for some people. (hard to stay motivated when you work on something for years without any feedback)

Yeah, I don't know at this point what I want to do. My main problem with doing any level design is I usually work like a dog on something, then start something new, then get slack for a period of time and eventually get back to what I was doing in the first place. I feel the circle is coming around again and I'm getting the urge to hack at some Doom architecture.

Right now, I'm working on some memory optimization with one of the Hexen EOC maps, and working on the blocking phase of another. I also have a couple different Doom 3: Phobos maps I've been working on lately. At any given time, I have anywhere from 6-12 maps between the two projects that I could potentially do work on, ranging from simple touch-up, polish and optimization, to actually getting the map through the blocking stages and into full functionality.

Also need to get more familiar with UE3 and Cryengine 3, not to mention 3DSMax. Basically, my plate is always full as far as modding goes.