Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

Apart from the fact that what you played wasn't the finished product, it's only a half completed beta...
Wads can only be eligible for the cacowards if they are FINISHED, no demo no beta. That means Lucifer's Rising is also out of the running.

VylePhinder said:

Thank you for that, but while I am sure it is an awesome map, I am Brutal Doom spoiled, and Frozen Time, is, by no surprise, too taxing on my system when coupled with it.

Congratulations but this thread is for Cacoward nominations. If you're not even going to play it, there's no reason to be commenting on it.

As an aside, I have to question whether a judgment of a map loaded together with a completely unrelated, external gameplay mod that it wasn't designed or tested for is ever really relevant in any circumstance at all.

e:f;b

I think that a single level wad should get a cacoward to add a bit more scope to the awards, so it's a toss up between Putrefier and frozen time.
Also I would like one of the two hit doom megawads to get in the list to, so either dtwid or base ganymede, I prefer base Ganymede but would begrudge the other getting the award imo.
The rest, well I put a thumbs up for combat shock 2 a while back as it is again a different genre of wad.
As for other wad, I'm sure cc4 will get the nod but other wads, well I can't really give any bias as a lot of wads are worthy and on the more mod type things released this year, they are not things I really play so won't pass comment.

I would like to nominate Xaser for mapper of the year. In 2012 he has been busy working in just about every project that's been in production this year, and always, in my opinion, makes the best maps of the bunch. Xaser's levels are always visually beautiful, with intelligent, unique layouts. While his roots run deep in ZDoom, he has become the master of Vanilla this year, pushing the old engine to new limits. I am always genuinely in awe with each new release.

Projects he has been involved with include, just off the top of my head (I'm sure there's more):

DTWID*
Back to Saturn X*
No End in Sight*
TNT2
ZDCMP2
Hacx2*

* = major contributor/project leader.

Granted, most of these works haven't been released yet. But in case many of them do get released right under the wire (and even if they aren't), I wanted to get the nomination in.

Not only does Xaser make top-notch stuff, he also is a constant presence on the forums and offers endless praise and encouragement for other people's efforts.

There's also his sprite editing, mods, and his music. Few have contributed so much to DOOM, all while raising the bar of quality to new levels.

You know what, it didn't occur to me just how many projects Xaser's been instrumental in this year. I'll second that nomination, and doubly the other things you said about him.

I'm not sure if Xaser's eligible for this year given the still-yet-to-be-released status of most of the things he's been involved in, but I'd wholeheartedly support a Xaser '13 platform!

esselfortium said:

I'm not sure if Xaser's eligible for this year given the still-yet-to-be-released status of most of the things he's been involved in, but I'd wholeheartedly support a Xaser '13 platform!

Very much this. Out of the Projects NT listed, precisely one of those is actually out. There are people who've got a lot more of their high quality stuff out this year that need to be taken into consideration before we look at people who are likely to be shoo-ins next year.

VylePhinder said:

I nominate, with no apprehension, the very much anticipated Unloved 2. It is, in my very humble opinion, not quite as good as the first one, but still better than 95% of the wads out there and 100% better than other wads made this year (so far, it is still submission season, after all). I feel it necessary to state that the only wad that I've seen so far with the potential to beat this one is Eternal's Frozen Time. However, I play with Brutal Doom, and that is, by no surprise, too taxing on my system. (Yes I know, I am Brutal Doom spoiled, but I am what I am).

i nominate this statement for the new supersecret category - mocknomination of the year!

Frozen Time. Absolutely beautiful top notch work as usual from Eternal. Too many good things to list, but a stand out moment for me is the final battle with that strange bell tolling, creating a surreal atmosphere. Sprite recolours are amazing and for once new sound effects didn't put me off much. Only negative is the slow frame rate when you get to the outside area.

Untamed64 said:

I'm nominating DTS-T

Seconded, while the map design is a bit flat and bland, the story is definitely neat and interesting, and I'm a guy who usually doesn't give a rat's ass about the storyline in games, I was actually interested in it from start to finish. Oh and the gameplay has some very creative tricks that kept me playing.

Here's all the nominees (so far) in order of nomination...

Doom the Way id Did - 13 Nomination/s (Melon, Phobus, Marnetmar, valkiriforce, Pirx, kmxexii, Snakes, DecemberMan, cannonball, vinnie245, Gez, Pavera, NaturalTvventy)
Community Chest 4 - 15 Nomination/s (Phobus, Snakes, DeathevokatioN, glenzinho, Herculine, Vdaxzter, Hellbent, TheMionicDonut, kmxexii, vinnie245, Gez, Ven, BloodyAcid, CorSair, Pavera)
Wonderland - 2 Nomination/s (printz, Tango)
Spawn - 3 Nomination/s (The Ultimate DooMer, kmxexii, vinnie245)
TNT 2: Devilution (Demo) - 2 Nomination/s (walter confalonieri, NaturalTvventy)
Base Ganymede: Complete - 7 Nomination/s (mbrown, kmxexii, Snakes, cannonball, DeathevokatioN, Deeforce, CorSair)
Object "34": Sonar - 2 Nomination/s (kmxexii, Memfis)
Household Oddities - 1 Nomination/s (sgt dopey)
AEons of Death v6 - 1 Nomination/s (gothic)
Winter's Fury (Beta) - 4 Nomination/s (scalliano, Dominic White, vinnie245, Ven)
Survive in Hell - 3 Nomination/s (Rambosee, DoomQuaker, Ribbiks)
A Passage in the Dungeons - 1 Nomination/s (Kappes Buur)
Eviltech: Soul of Megawad - 4 Nomination/s (The Ultimate DooMer, Vdaxzter, Herculine, vinnie245)
Reelism - 13 Nomination/s (gothic, Phobus, Steve1664, Captain Ventris, XutaWoo, trooper077, vinnie245, Gez, Xaser, BloodyAcid, CorSair, Remiel, TheDarkArchon)
Zones of Fear - 2 Nomination/s (scifista42, doomero-21)
Russian Overkill - 1 Nomination/s (gothic)
Doom2 Meets Zdoom - 1 Nomination/s (d@ngib5on)
Can't Run From Evil (Part I) - 2 Nomination/s (d@ngib5on, durian)
A.L.T. - 2 Nomination/s (Memfis, kmxexii)
Skepland - 6 Nomination/s (Memfis, darkreaver, DeathevokatioN, Snakes, j4rio, Ribbiks)
Titan 1024 - 2 Nomination/s (scalliano, Gez)
Coffee Break Episode 1 - 9 Nomination/s (Snakes, Vdaxzter, Harmata, Lizardcommando, glenzinho, unidenti7ied, CorSair, Pavera, yuri04)
Masters of Chaos - 3 Nomination/s (Cire, SFoZ911, The Ultimate DooMer)
Hadephobia (Beta) - 1 Nomination/s (Cacatou)
Midnight Tek Frenzy - 3 Nomination/s (Doomguy 2000, glenzinho, Processingcontrol)
5till L1 Complex - 1 Nomination/s (kmxexii)
Haze (Prototype) - 2 Nomination/s (Springy, Cire)
Weasel Presents: Nazis! - 1 Nomination/s (BlueFireZ88)
Urban Fire - 1 Nomination/s (Dragonsbrethren)
Pirate Doom! (Beta) - 1 Nomination/s (zap610)
Samsara - 5 Nomination/s (Death Egg, zdude, vinnie245, CorSair, Bouncy)
Combat Shock 2 - 9 Nomination/s (j4rio, cannonball, mouldy, darkreaver, vinnie245, Gez, Ven, CorSair, Ribbiks)
Hell Void - 1 Nomination/s (Dominic White)
Beyond Reality - 17 Nomination/s (Death Egg, Obsidian, The Ultimate DooMer, Talvi, vinnie245, Gez, Phobus, Ven, Captain Ventris, BloodyAcid, CorSair, Cacowad, Netherstorm, BlackFish, yuri04, VylePhinder, Pottus)
DTS-T - 4 Nomination/s (vinnie245, Untamed64, Jack101, VylePhinder)
Khorus - 3 Nomination/s (Eregore, cannonball, BlazingPhoenix)
A Taste for Blood - 1 Nomination/s (cannonball)
Town of Aquafort - 3 Nomination/s (gothic, Tango, Aquafort)
32in24 12: Iron Mapper - 1 Nomination/s (BloodyAcid)
Grezzo 2 (Demo) - 1 Nomination/s (Cire)
Call of Dooty II - 9 Nomination/s (Scuba Steve, Obsidian, Captain Ventris, Cacowad, cannonball, Jack101, BlackFish, DataSnake, TheDarkArchon)
Back to the Fire - 1 Nomination/s (Avoozl)
After the Holocaust - 2 Nomination/s (gothic, The Ultimate DooMer)
Neighborhood From Hell - 2 Nomination/s (gothic, The Ultimate DooMer)
Strife: Absolute Order - 3 Nomination/s (BlazingPhoenix, Pavera, CorSair)
Global Death: Ruins of Humanity - 1 Nomination/s (Jack101)
Putrefier - 8 Nomination/s (Gez, Xaser, Pavera, cacomonkey, VylePhinder, Vdaxzter, CorSair, cannonball)
Super KF Turbo - 3 Nomination/s (whiteboy567, dew, Pavera)
Planisphere 2 - 1 Nomination/s (Pavera)
Lucifer's Rising (Demo) - 1 Nomination/s (pfl)
Unloved II (Beta) - 1 Nomination/s (VylePhinder)
Frozen Time - 3 Nomination/s (VylePhinder, cannonball, glenzinho)
WhoDunIt: The Art of Deception - 2 Nomination/s (Springy, Captain Ventris)
Velocity CTF X - 1 Nomination/s (dew)
The Eye - 2 Nomination/s (NaturalTvventy, Obsidian)
Xided - 1 Nomination/s (Processingcontrol)

Last updated 06/12/2012. Please let me know if there's any errors or omissions. :)

Pottus: Did you also nominate Combat Shock 2 because I hadn't interpreted either as a nomination. ;)

cannonball: I have included works in progress since a demo has won a Cacoward previously. They are marked as such to avoid confusion though. :)

savagegrant said:

Here's all the nominees (so far) in order of nomination...

Wow, that's a lot of projects getting a look-in this year! I see one or two I'd probably be adding nominations for if ever I get round to playing them and at least one unfinished project there.

Thanks for organising it all like that with links for everybody!

Great work there savagegrant, just a couple of notes here.
TNT2 is still a work in progress and unlikely to be released before the cacowards are presented
Pirate Doom is work in progress but a shoe in for next years awards.
Not sure about others which can be scratched off here due to them being still work in progress.

savagegrant said:

Can't Run From Evil (Part I) - 1 Nomination/s (d@ngib5on)

Glad to see this has been nominated - I would have done so myself, but it seemed inappropriate since I've yet to finish it (if I'm wrong about that, then +1). But, while I've been left cold by quite a few of the releases from this year that have received significant praise, I'm enjoying these sprawling monstrosities tremendously.

I would like to put in another nomination for Midnight Tek Frenzy.

[EDIT] Just looking back at last year's thread about the Cacowards and purist had an excellent idea here about adding an award for just map of the year as opposed to a whole wad. An example from this year that I would pick would be Shaman's Device from CC4, although maybe it's too late in the game for an addition like this? How close to finished are the awards so far?

I've cleaned this thread up a little bit. Please keep it on topic and, if you haven't already done so, read the OP before posting.

glenzinho said:

[EDIT] Just looking back at last year's thread about the Cacowards and purist had an excellent idea here about adding an award for just map of the year as opposed to a whole wad. An example from this year that I would pick would be Shaman's Device from CC4, although maybe it's too late in the game for an addition like this? How close to finished are the awards so far?

Thanks but Hobbs ruled this out. I still think it's a good idea :-p

I haven't played a great deal this year but my favourite so far is Doom the Way id Did, so that's my nomination.

Ah, while I'm thinking of it, DTS-T for Mordeth award, I do believe. It started in what, 2004? Details are in the DTS-T thread.