Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

savagegrant said:

Pottus: Did you also nominate Combat Shock 2 because I hadn't interpreted either as a nomination. ;)

Well it's good but, BR is better =), although you can put me down for nominating the Putrefier the design is superior in every way shape in form.

Dunno if my vote is worth anything, considering I'm still rather new here, but I'm... apparently 14th-ing REELism. Not traditional Doom in the slightest but its madcap randomness proved an excellent distraction for the longest time; so much fun that when I started making a(n unfinished) cowboy map for it, my progress was constantly stopped dead by that urge to play just one more round.

I just wish it was supported in Zandronum - my friends and I did try hosting a multiplayer round in GZDoom itself, but it was rather laggy and one guy kept crashing out...

+1 to Combat Shock II. A must have for slaughtermap lovers and a little bit more forgiving than its predecessor, which is appealing to my personal taste. I wish there will be CS III someday.

+1 to Still L1 Complex. One of best (if not THE best) exploration map I ever seen in Doom. Great layouts, nice atmosphere and flow. Gameplay isn't really there, but in this occasion I don't mind it.

+1 to Can't Run From Evil. I don't know should we consider this as full-weight release, but anyways. Playing this wad sometimes like solving the puzzle. Finding the best possible approach to large semi-nonlinear maps with limited amount of ammo and health can be annoying to many, but I think in the end CRFE is a very rewarding experience.

Yeah now that it's officially finished and out of beta it's definitely ready for the cacowards, for anyone that hasn't played it yet please do and put some votes in, it deserves it :P

vinnie245 said:

put some votes in

I thought the Cacowards weren't a poll? People nominate things, and then whatever staff the Cacoward manager (Hobbs now, ScubaSteve previously) assembles look at the nominated bunch and select a few.

The number of mentions one project gets in this thread has no direct incidence on its chance of getting an award. Unless things changed?

It's still a representative Doomocracy, people are just excited that someone actually went through and tallied the nomination counts.

When I said I nominate Grezzo 2 Demo, I meant for Worst Award, if such an award will be this year.

Wow, an enthusiastic nomination for Winter's Fury. It is an overwhelmingly well-done project. The frame rate hurts me at times, but the production values and the epic boss fights are just spectacular. Truly a masterpiece.

EDIT: Another nomination for The Eye. A very tight single map with solid gameplay and a super creative use of default textures in the 'inside the beast' segment, as well as a neat final arena battle. A very solid outing.

I realize I'm more of a Doom community lurker than anything, but I have to put in a good word for Putrifier and Planisphere 2. Whatever those maps lack in gameplay considerations, they are ambitious and unusual maps that do something inspiringly different. They were two real standouts for me.

Frozen time gets a vote from me, also Khorus - that music was worthy of an award all of its own

In addition to my previous votes, I'd like to nominate Winter's Fury and DTS-T as well.

DTS-T not only as Mordeth, but also as an awe-inspiring mapset with an incredible plot (right in the feels), and some clever map designs and an amazing hub-session. Everything about this wad is fun, with maybe the exception of the first few maps. But hey, it's the 90's, what can you do. :P

Winter's Fury is a project I've anticipated for a long, LONG time since it was first announced. Another beautiful mapset with incredible gameplay and visuals, and a less incredible framerate at times.

Don't miss out on these guys :D