Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

BlackFish said:

If there's an extra Midi slot I can work on a track or few for specific maps.

As of now there is only like three tracks, so you can make as many as you want. If you need to see the maps to get a feel for their theme I can send you a few.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

lupinx, all good regarding the deadline.

I think the layout looks really good, and we'll happily extend some more time for people to finish their maps, so don't feel like you gotta give it away because of a time shortage.

I suck at making deadlines too. :)

Challenge. Accepted.

[edit] also thanks for comments and stuff everyone.

Thanks. I think I decided that I will keep working on it myself, I have made a surprising amount of progress in the last couple of days, so I think it may be possible for me to finish this by the end of the month after all.

Your map is my most anticipated one in this entire project, to the point that when Kyka asked if I wanted to test a few more maps later on, I stated "anything but Map 20 and 30", as I want to experience both in the official release, fresh with no prior experience, so please continue to work on it :D

sry, is this completed already? I failed in seeing a working dl address so far. or its in progress right now ? (asking due to the 15/12/12 deadline in first post)

There is a lot to be done between the mapping deadline and the release. Midis, balancing maps, graphics, bug control, hyping, are just a few.

On top of that, not all the maps are done yet.

Oh no, I'm driving nostalgia:

Fun fact: I mapped most of this part while listening to this song on repeat (and later the whole album, which is, oddly enough, even weirder).

TheMionicDonut said:

There is a lot to be done between the mapping deadline and the release. Midis, balancing maps, graphics, bug control, hyping, are just a few.

On top of that, not all the maps are done yet.

Pfft... Mapping deadline??? WTF? This date used to be the extended date for the RELEASE after the others were missed.
Now it's suddenly a Mappingdeadline. What's the point of releasing such dates to the public anyway? And what's next?
If I read your post correctly I guess after mapping is finished there's going to be a Midideadline, a balancing deadline...... and finally a hyping deadline? All of them going to be missed a few times....

What's the point of this? Except constantly fooling yourselfes and everyone else who is looking forward....

Tip:
- Keep those kind of dates internal. Noone else cares. It's just causing confusion and constant disappointment.
- Give out a RELEASE date once you know you can keep it.

Doohnibor said:

- Keep those kind of dates internal. Noone else cares. It's just causing confusion and constant disappointment.

These dates are "internal". This is the official development thread, where all the troops are rallied, so there's not anywhere else to centralize them. Are you trying to suggest we should rent out space in another forum (instead of keeping it all in the place where all the mappers gather already) just because some people don't want to look at the thread?

Doohnibor said:

If I read your post correctly I guess after mapping is finished there's going to be a Midideadline, a balancing deadline...... and finally a hyping deadline?

esselfortium said:

What on earth is the point of "hyping" a Doom project and why would you push back your project release for it?

That was Mionic Donut's interpretation of our loose deadlines. There will be no "hyping" deadline.

Doohnibor said:

Tip:
- Give out a RELEASE date once you know you can keep it.

No deadline I've made so far has been labeled as a release date.

Xaser said:

Oh no, I'm driving nostalgia:

*screenshots*

Fun fact: I mapped most of this part while listening to this song on repeat (and later the whole album, which is, oddly enough, even weirder).

Looking very good for being a vanilla map, though I'm not sure how you managed to listen to that song on repeat while making it.

I keep forgetting how people dont understand sarcasm. There are only a select few projects that ever delay themselves exclusively for hype. Said hype delay never bodes well. But I was srs about the other factors.

In other news.

One of the last two areas for map24 is about done. I dont know what to do with it gameplay wise...

I will be so happy once this map is done with. It is certainly giving me some new perspective on vanilla mapping...

Looks good Mionic, lighting looks a little flat but maybe you're one of those mappers that does all that last?

Regarding monster placement, I can never resist using cacodemons rising from a pit like this. If those pillars are thick enough an AV down there would be devilish too. Give the player a primary target while those tomatoes are floating around you :-)

Having just played your MAYhem 2012 map I'm looking forward to your levels in this.

purist said:

Looks good Mionic, lighting looks a little flat but maybe you're one of those mappers that does all that last?

Regarding monster placement, I can never resist using cacodemons rising from a pit like this. If those pillars are thick enough an AV down there would be devilish too. Give the player a primary target while those tomatoes are floating around you :-)

Having just played your MAYhem 2012 map I'm looking forward to your levels in this.

I do a lot of lighting changes with the gameplay stuff. I need to implement lifts and whatnot. I feel silly posting the shot before lighting changes but it is pretty dynamic.

Also, one step ahead of you with the cacos, and your remarks on my texturing in M12 is making me reconsider how I texture in TNT2. Both my maps in this pack are significantly larger than Eerie Canals (28 was meant to be big and 24 is kind of getting sprawled out, despite original intent) I hope I can do texturing as well in vanilla but that is proving to be difficult D:

Glad you liked the Mayhem map!

Whoo said:

No deadline I've made so far has been labeled as a release date.

Sorry, I guess I just missinterpreted THIS statement from your first post.

Whoo said:

It is currently being worked on by many mappers, and is shooting to be finished by September 2012 and released by October of that year.

You probably just missed it today while removing the corrected Dec. 15th release date from the first post... err sorry, I meant the mapping deadline ; )

Anyhow... enough of the nitpicking from my side. I hope you get the point! Obviously I was not the only one getting it all wrong.

... and good luck with the project!! I am REALLY looking forward to this one. The demo was VERY promising and had exactly the feel that can be expected from a TNT sequel!

Xaser said:

Are you trying to suggest we should rent out space in another forum (instead of keeping it all in the place where all the mappers gather already) just because some people don't want to look at the thread?

rent out a space? are you serious? There are tons of FREE services - some of them perfectly suited for managing a project like this. Much better than a single Forum thread.

Maybe this list comes in handy.
http://tomuse.com/top-10-best-free-online-project-management-application-services/

All right, guys! It's official. We're no longer allowed to post status updates on Doomworld. Until Whoo gets an alternate management plan set up, all project communication will be done via telepathy.

Doohnibor said:

Anyhow... enough of the nitpicking from my side. I hope you get the point! Obviously I was not the only one getting it all wrong.

... and good luck with the project!! I am REALLY looking forward to this one. The demo was VERY promising and had exactly the feel that can be expected from a TNT sequel!

You are right, we have certainly had a few deadlines come and go, but that is just one of those things. As long as we keep making progress, albeit not always as fast as we would like, then that is good enough. As id themselves say, this will be released 'when it's done and when it's fun.' We will get there.

And thanks for the interest! I am biased coz I am pretty heavily involved with this project, but I think this is gonna be really good when it is done.

Xaser said:

All right, guys! It's official. We're no longer allowed to post status updates on Doomworld. Until Whoo gets an alternate management plan set up, all project communication will be done via telepathy.

The reason I haven't been on the thread much the last few days is because I have been sending out instructions via telepathy. But no one seems to be replying. I am assuming my telepathic powers are not what they used to be. In truth they probably never were what they used to be. 0_o

Just giving everyone the heads up who has not finished their map, if you want someone to help out a bit I would be more than happy to do some collaborative work on a map.

I just finished layout for map24. Item placement and final detailing should be quick, since I do 80% of that during layout. Which explains why my maps take me 5-7 months :S

Sorry for the delay...

For some idea of scope, monster count is going to be around 600 on UV, while not attempting to be a slaughtermap

Some more screenshots of the map to show that it is still alive. I took them with -nomonsters, so as not to spoil their placement :P.

The areas in this map are quite large, so often to avoid visplane overflows, the architecture changes dynamically based on which position the player is in, to try to give them the most to view while not exploding their world.

Also here is the (still kinda WIP) current map layout so far if you don't mind spoiling that:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/tntmapshot_zps21fda663.png

I have narrowed it down to three main areas and a sort of finale area that still need to be interconnected. All I have left is to connect the areas together and create the small finale section. I do the gameplay and layout together, so those should be finalized together. Basically, I know exactly what I want now, its just a matter of cranking it out.

Xas amd Lupinx, screens look good. More than good. Dribble on my keyboard good.

Mionic, played your new map. Really strong gameplay, and awesome design. Love what you did with the Spiderdemon in the exit room. I've PM'd you some playtesting stuff.

Map 21:

Map 21 is kinda wip. It is going to be inspired by the sheer epicness of maps 20 and 21 from the original tnt.

Whoo, did we ever use Olympus' unfinished map for anything? I would like to take a look at it, the screens of it I saw would make it fit in with map 21 really well.

Map 20 looks amazing <3

Kyka will have to work hard on that direct followup ;D

btw guys, I'm playtesting some of his maps, in the same way as the updated demo, figured I'd post that on here (unless its supposed to be a secret :o) I hope I make further contributions to the project, even if they are small :)

I'll start testing them soon, been distracted by GOG sales (Shadow Warrior!) and christmas recently.

About a week ago Evolution, who runs Zdaemon's Thursday Night Survival, contacted me offering us a private server to test the wad for multiplayer compatibility. Additionally he also intends to run TNT 2 through TNS once it's released.

Making maps coop-friendly is still a future priority, but I thought I'd let everyone know about Evolution's offer since it would let us all test our maps together on one giant server. While Zdaemon won't let us test vanilla coop-compatibility, it will still give us a general idea of how the maps will play.

lupinx-Kassman said:

*shots*

I have narrowed it down to three main areas and a sort of finale area that still need to be interconnected. All I have left is to connect the areas together and create the small finale section. I do the gameplay and layout together, so those should be finalized together. Basically, I know exactly what I want now, its just a matter of cranking it out.

Looking great! The way you're avoiding overflows also sounds pretty unique; it's definitely something I might try in the future.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Whoo, did we ever use Olympus' unfinished map for anything? I would like to take a look at it, the screens of it I saw would make it fit in with map 21 really well.

I incorporated it into MAP30, but I'll send you a copy of it to see if you can make better use of it in MAP21.

It looks and sounds all like quite a thrill, lupinx. I look forward to testing that. :)

Co-op testing, huh? I'll have to get a new ZDaemon account. Haven't played on there for years.

had a look to the demo:
nice work imho :o
especially map4 whoo-boy, cool map ;o
but I really couldnt get the secret with the backpack :(

blob1024 said:

had a look to the demo:
nice work imho :o
especially map4 whoo-boy, cool map ;o
but I really couldnt get the secret with the backpack :(

Thanks for the comments. :)

In regards to the secret:

Spoiler

There is a pillar in the start room. One side of this pillar has a spinning computer tape wheel on it. 'Use' this wheel to access the secret.

blob1024 said:

oh umh, couldnt find the pillar you refer to :(
wrong room? (map04)

This is the start room of map 04 of the demo. Also the room with the backpack secret in it. Could you post a screen of where you mean, just to be sure we are talking about the same map. cheers. :)

[edit] Also, map 21 progress.