Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gemini09

Tidying up/ lumping together Resources

Hey.

I've downloaded and used a bunch of new monsters and weapons for my mod.

How should I go about lumping the crap together? I kind of already know, but I was wondering if anybody had some extra tips and pointers that could be useful.

My concern is with the script files. Should I lump everything into a new text file (Decorate)?

Were there any benefits to PK3 format aside from compressing the size? But perhaps it's more appropriate to use when I have multiple resource files (monsters, weapons, etc)?

I should probably not be surprised that article still doesn't mention EE as sharing compatible handling of pk3/zip files :P

Can SLADE3 filter lump types and automatically group them in categories (levels, sounds, sprites, other gfx...) for you?

Filtering only affects the display, though. It doesn't actually change anything in the archive.

gemini09 said:

My concern is with the script files. Should I lump everything into a new text file (Decorate)?

Were there any benefits to PK3 format aside from compressing the size? But perhaps it's more appropriate to use when I have multiple resource files (monsters, weapons, etc)?

You might find the scripts easier to manage and debug if they're broken down into categories and called from a DECORATE script that's basically just a set of includes, like the following from a PK3 I was working on -

#include "actors/effects.txt"
#include "actors/monsters.txt"
#include "actors/pickups.txt"
#include "actors/props.txt"
#include "actors/weapons.txt"
From a file management perspective, the PK3 format is probably easier to work with as well as providing additional namespaces that aren't supported by the WAD format.

Okay. Thank you very much, GreyGhost.

I think the whole Decorate and "coding" and PK3 area is a little overwhelming, but discussing it helps to familiarize one self with it. :) Thanks.

*exhale, exhale* "Okay, here we go" (when I get back from Xmas holidays)