Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Dragonsbrethren said:

TNT MAP01 has one. MAP01.

I always wondered how he got into such a small little area. For him it's kinda claustrophobic, at least those couple of imps keep him company.

Ribbiks said:

iirc there's plenty of extra cybs in multiplayer. I remember one in downtown, as well as the citadel, there's probably more. Certainly took me by surprise first time I coop'ed through

There's one in MAP11, the Circle of Two Names, too. I distinctly remember running into him when co-oping on the Xbox 360 version, then going back to it in a source port, solo, and finding no such Cyberdemon.

Revenant100 said:

I just found out that the Lost Soul's front-facing walking frames are different in the Jaguar, 32X, PlayStation, and Saturn ports of Doom:

Console is on the left, and the PC original is of course on the right.

Although I haven't confirmed this myself yet, I assume this sprite change propagated to all ports that were based on the Jaguar version. Of the classic console ports, I believe the SNES version may be the only one to retain the PC's Lost Soul.

Did Adrian Carmack work on the Jaguar version? It's possible he attempted to clean up the sprites a bit, but I did notice a lot of it is mirrored. Perhaps memory saving attempts?

Shadow Hog said:

There's one in MAP11, the Circle of Two Names, too. I distinctly remember running into him when co-oping on the Xbox 360 version, then going back to it in a source port, solo, and finding no such Cyberdemon.

and in industrial zone... well, that definitely balances player & item respawning a bit.

Ribbiks said:

iirc there's plenty of extra cybs in multiplayer. I remember one in downtown, as well as the citadel, there's probably more. Certainly took me by surprise first time I coop'ed through

O of Destruction, Tenements, Abandoned Mines all have a cyber I believe.

The Factory and Nirvana have has a spider masterminds.

Upon starting E4M9, just going backwards allows you to past through the metal bars. just noticed that when I played it on zdoom.

SFoZ911 said:

Upon starting E4M9, just going backwards allows you to past through the metal bars. just noticed that when I played it on zdoom.

You can also run back through them after doing this. Just..don't turn...

Some of the extra cybers are in odd locations, such as the one in MAP20, sector 109 who always ends up going to the tele and gets fragged by players. Flagging the cyber for multiplayer in TNT Map01 was genius. Coop players have to do teamwork by one shooting the cyber for taunting and the other hits the switch outside. I've done that with my friends couple times before and that works.

Well today I learned that it is possible to play through Doom2 on UV, including the Wolfenstein levels, without taking damage. Obviously a TAS demo, but still pretty impressive.

Csonicgo said:

Did Adrian Carmack work on the Jaguar version?

Since the Jaguar port was developed in-house, I think it's a safe bet to assume Adrian Carmack and/or Kevin Cloud did the visual touch ups. The presence of early, unfinished Doom 2 textures in the Jaguar version seems fairly indicative that all the graphic work done for it was official stuff by id.

I did notice a lot of it is mirrored. Perhaps memory saving attempts?

The graphic is mirrored, but it's still treated as a normal sprite entry in the WAD file, so there's no real memory improvement there. However, the first person weapon sprites in the console ports are indeed horizontally halved in resolution to save on memory usage.

Gez said:

Because they aren't demons!

It thinks up demons because it is a demon. It doesn't conjure zombies because they aren't something native from Hell.

And yet it is able to conjure up cybernetic horrors and Revenants in the form they take after their original form was killed! The IOS is a cheating bastard. And whatever Revenants were before being repaired and sent back out are clearly such utterly crap Hellspawn that the IOS wants nothing to do with them at all.

/conjecture

I like to think Revenants have ALWAYS been that way, a corruption of the human skeleton made after the initial incident on Mars. Many of the new monsters have that kind of feel, what with all the human tech they have.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Well today I learned that it is possible to play through Doom2 on UV, including the Wolfenstein levels, without taking damage. Obviously a TAS demo, but still pretty impressive.

Holy shit. It took me forever just to do MAP13, and that's a strictly no-hitscan monster map.

BaronOfStuff said:

And yet it is able to conjure up cybernetic horrors and Revenants in the form they take after their original form was killed! The IOS is a cheating bastard.

Well the IOS is sort of half cybernetic connected to all those tubes/pipes and stuff as if it were a life support system or something. :P

I just noticed the regular Shotgun is an excellent weapon against Pain Elementals in Doom64 In The Void. It doesn't spread vertically and it's faster than the SSG. When I shoot once with SSG from optimal range, the Lost Souls from the other Elementals surround me. With SG I can shoot them all from longer range.

DSBSPDTH, DSDSHTGN and DSVILATK all have WAV file headers embedded at the beginning of the sound data (after the repeated samples that've been previously mentioned somewhere on these forums). Were these accidental, or did Robert Prince deliberately load WAV files as raw data in order to get some extra crackly noise at the start? I dunno.

Urban Space Cowboy said:
Were these accidental, or did Robert Prince deliberately load WAV files as raw data in order to get some extra crackly noise at the start? I dunno.

I doubt they were on purpose. Most likely a buggy conversion tool or hacky file edits. I uploaded fixed versions here.

SFoZ911 said:

I just tried it on PrBoom, and I couldn't fit through. What causes this difference between engines?

I just saw a very strange occurrence: a lost soul was flying at me, crossed a teleport line, appeared near me and that somehow damaged me and I died. Unfortunately I wasn't recording a demo and I had no luck recreating it so far... I wonder if it just attacked me immediately after teleporting?

Nixot said:

I just tried it on PrBoom, and I couldn't fit through. What causes this difference between engines?

Trigonometry.

Explanations here.

ZDoom has more accurate trig values, but there is a compatibility option to use the inaccurate values instead.

Memfis said:

I just saw a very strange occurrence: a lost soul was flying at me, crossed a teleport line, appeared near me and that somehow damaged me and I died. Unfortunately I wasn't recording a demo and I had no luck recreating it so far... I wonder if it just attacked me immediately after teleporting?

When a lost soul is in charging mode, it damages like a missile. You touch it, you take damage. It stays in charging mode until it collides with an obstacle (like a wall or a mobj).

Here's something fun: try to get a lost soul between a monster and you. Wait for the soul to charge, and pistol it to stop its charge and make it fly slowly backward. It'll touch the monster behind it, and damage it, triggering some infighting.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

My best non-tas was up to map05.

Not quite Doom, but I've just noticed that on Doomworld pages, when it's Dwayne Johnson (I think?) in the picture on top left, his eyebrow moves.

Doom 1 textures pack is waaaayyyy better than the doom2 countepart, i have to do some maps for doom 1 someday.

Eris Falling said:

Not quite Doom, but I've just noticed that on Doomworld pages, when it's Dwayne Johnson (I think?) in the picture on top left, his eyebrow moves.

Well I've noticed before that the pic for the sergeant is a in game doom marine dying instead of actual in game sergeants.