Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thargoid

PSX :- Extra Levels

Hi

This is my first post and apologies if it's been posted in the wrong place.

I bought Doom on the original Playstation when it first came out and consider it still one of the top 5 games I've ever played.
I later played the PC version and thought it really inferior; there was little atmosphere compared to the PSX version, and I could never get used to the keyboard controls. Regardless of this, the PC version intrigued me because of the extra/different levels and the fact that you could create your own levels with the editor.

My question is this:-

Is it possible to play the PC only levels ( or fan made wads for that matter) on an actual PSX or PS2 ? In other words, can a disk be made on a PC which can then be read by, and played on a Playstation?

I've been meaning to ask this for years and would be grateful for any replies.

Thanks

No Yes apparently, but it's a lot of work. Different engine, map formats and resource names, blah blah blah...

Although you might be interested in this and this if you have a controller for your PC.

Thargoid said:

Is it possible to play the PC only levels ( or fan made wads for that matter) on an actual PSX or PS2 ? In other words, can a disk be made on a PC which can then be read by, and played on a Playstation?

Yes, however there is no easy way to do so. You need to have a good knowledge of how the Doom engine works, at least for what concerns the map format and WAD archives.

The map format is different, so you will need to have (or write) a conversion tool. In addition to converting how the main map data structure are written (you know: vertexes, things, lines, sides, sectors), you will need to have a nodebuilder able to generate the LEAFS needed by the PSX Doom engine.

As part of the conversion, you will also need to take into account the different set of technical limitations. The Doom II and Final Doom/Master Levels maps on the PSX are a good way to estimate what these limitations are, since the Doom 1 levels were inherited from the Jaguar port, which had even stricter limitations. (Seriously, colored lights or not, the Doom 1 maps in PSX Doom are horrible compared to PC Doom, and nothing anyone can say will convince me of the contrary.)

Once you have that, you need to put these converted map in a converted archive, since the WAD format is slightly different too; and then you can put that in a disk image of PSX Doom and burn it or plug it into an emulator.

Some of the technical info is found on the wiki.