Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LkMax

If Doom 3 was done today...

Man, I decided to buy the BFG edition when it was on a 50% discount. So far, it's kinda disappointing (I'm replaying the original campaing, I'm a little bit after you pick up the chainsaw). Seriously iD, what?

- There's almost no options menu (basically all what's in "video" options is "change resolution");

- You can't skip cutscenes (that's really annoying, way to disrupt any possible replay value, also on original Doom 3 you could);

- You can't skip the brand logos (on original Doom 3 you could, aslo what's the point of that? Where's the good old philosophy of "let the player start the game as fast as he want"?);

- Some textures actually looks worse, I don't even know how that's possible for a "remastered" re-release.

- Even the in-game monitors have worse resolutions, everything is blurred now (and I'm running the game at 1280x1024, while I played the original D3 on 800x600 back then);

- Way to much ammo: All my guns have maximum ammo all the time (smg 600 bullets, shotgun 320ish, Chaingun* 600, etc), they basically removed ammo management. Whait, is "idkfa" default in Doom 3 now?

- Way too much health, at least they haven't used auto-regen, but it's still dumbed down. I'm playing on veteran damn it (the highest difficulty unlocked) and I'm facing almost no challenge (I only died on 2 areas, one of them on the infinite spider-thing generator, and I'm playing casually).

- Oh, and on Doom and Doom2, ignoring all the stupid and unecessary changes already discussed here, you can't change the keybindings, nor the resolution or anything really! If I remember correctly you could at least change the controls on vanilla Doom.

All in all, the only thing the did rigth was the new flashlight. I wish I could install just the new expansion (Lost Mission) on top of the original Doom 3.
Now I'm worried about Doom 4 and Quake Reboot being bad PC ports.

*edited values, the chaingun carry 600 not 240 ammo.
**edited again to sound less like a whine.

A Quake reboot? Ugh. As for Doom 4, well that at least will be a standalone game, that won't have anything to ruin. I hope I'll buy it, be awed by its presentation, and look for hacks that will make it more like Doom 3 or 2 in case it doesn't deliver.

Well, if iD keep their games "moddable" than yes. I'm afraid there will be a point where they won't even bother anymore with mods.
Also, we won't have an "older" version of Doom 4 to make comparisons, but that doesn't mean they can't screw up. I guess only time can tell.

LkMax said:

- There's almost no options menu (basically all what's in "video" options is "change resolution");

Your math is terrible. I count 7. 9 if you count the extra 2 is 'Game Options'. 12 if you also count the 3D options.

LkMax said:

- You can't skip the brand logos (on original Doom 3 you could, aslo what's the point of that? Where's the good old philosophy of "let the player start the game as fast as he want"?);

+set com_skipintrovideos 1

LkMax said:

- Some textures actually looks worse, I don't even know how that's possible for a "remastered" re-release (ex: IIRC magazine covers were barely readable, now they aren't).

This has been discussed to death. Some, maybe, but only very specific ones and only if you are right up in-front of them, so it's really kind of pointless complaining about it. (A couple of textures have minor artifacts due to the result in the change of texture format. That's literally it.)

LkMax said:

- Even the in-game monitors have worse resolutions, everything is blurred now (and I'm running the game at 1280x1024, while I played the original D3 on 800x600 back then);

... In game monitors? I assume you mean the interactive displays? Can't say I noticed a difference with those. It should be noted, however, that you most likely answered the question yourself. You are running Doom3 at a higher resolution. The assets don't suddenly gain quality now do they?

LkMax said:

- Oh, and on Doom and Doom2, ignoring all the stupid and unecessary changes already discussed here, you CAN'T EVEN F**KING CHANGE THE KEYBINDINGS, nor the resolution or anything really! If I remember correctly you could at least change the controls on vanilla Doom.

Helps if you think before you go off on some sort of nerd-rage tangent. Yes you can change the controls, actually. It's all based off the controls you set in Doom3. The same goes for resolution (although I'm unsure how it scales it. It's not 320x200 at least.). There is not much else to change after that.

Edward850 said:

... In game monitors? I assume you mean the interactive displays? Can't say I noticed a difference with those. It should be noted, however, that you most likely answered the question yourself. You are running Doom3 at a higher resolution. The assets don't suddenly gain quality now do they?

While there were some ancillary non-interactive OLED displays that looked blurry always, I think that the main GUIs were made of fonts and vector graphics, so no matter the resolution, they should look crisp, not get worse.

Umm... yeah, that parameter worked for the brand logos, but I guess there isn't something to let me skip cutscenes?

Also, the keybindings: well, it wasn't exactely clear that D3 control was valid for Doom 1 & 2 too, but I checked and it indeed is. Still I would expect a sub-menu specific for classic doom, but whatever, I'll keep using zdoom and the classic iwads.

Everything except the ammo and health overflow are just minor gripes really. Keep in mind that when they said "better graphics" they really only meant the consoles.

printz said:

While there were some ancillary non-interactive OLED displays that looked blurry always, I think that the main GUIs were made of fonts and vector graphics, so no matter the resolution, they should look crisp, not get worse.

Not quite. Most resources in the GUIs are using 2d images to create complex shapes. The only vectors are the base elements (rectangles) and the font.

As for a Q1 reboot. That's basically just a rumor spread since Carmack once had a musing about possibly doing one for the next Quake. It's quite possible they will make one. But right now they probably will focus more on Doom as well as building on their new IP in Rage.

Edward850
This has been discussed to death. Some, maybe, but only very specific ones and only if you are right up in-front of them, so it's really kind of pointless complaining about it. (A couple of textures have minor artifacts due to the result in the change of texture format. That's literally it.)

Thank you.

I would like to mention the discovery of HOM effects on the console version and lack of co-op replaced by a barely functional lagtastic deathmatch for the console as well