Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Olympus

Despair-- random short doom 2 map

Not really a Christmas map. I just started it yesterday and was hoping to finish it yesterday. Sadly it didnt happen, but anyways, here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0qv08y2qllyq8lb

Screenie:

Its a Map 01 replacement for Doom 2, inspired by Alien Vendetta. Go ahead and tell me what you think! Its somewhat of a speedmap so it is pretty short; playing through it should take no time at all.By the way, it was tested in zandronum but probably will run in all ports. Not tested in vanilla.

FDA. Nice classic design as usual, the gameplay isn't that hot though: most battles are easy and straightforward, the only part where something exciting happens is the YK trap but it's still very simple. Also the monster placement could be less symmetrical and I didn't like how you didn't mark the exit (so it was totally unexpected and annoyed me a bit).

Thanks for the feedback. It was intended to be an easy, straightforward, shoot-em-up map. Sorry about the exit; i realized i forgot to mark it like a minute after it was uploaded! Anyways, thanks for the feedback, ill use it to help improve future maps! :)

What's with the high-tier monsters placed in the pits? They can't harm you, while you can do anything to them. Huh? The point? Another detail i didn't like was HKs in straight narrow corridors, very bland encounters. However, i'd say that in general there are no problems with flow, i liked the 2 chaingunners-2 cacoes encounter and the yellow key trap.

Just a couple of minor nitpicks.

-I would make the ceiling of sector 74 CEIL5_2.
-I would make the floor of sector 76 FWATER1 so that when those bars lower into the ground, you don't get these funny brown squares sitting level with the water.
-Linedef 492 and 494 need their lower unpegged flag set.

But given it's a speedmap, these are not major things.

Overall a pretty neat map. Reminds me a little of Alien Vendetta map 01.