Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

Just an Idea (another community wad)

I have an idea for a community megawad. It involves being put randomly with another person to develop a map together you'll also be in a random map slot as well. If there are more than 32 pairs who want to map for this their maps will be put into another wad that will be put up as a separate download

Maps are to be in limit removing format, maps can be as large as you want and whatever theme you want them to be. There will be no official texture pack but you can use your own textures in your map if you choose to. Custom music is allowed.

The deadline will be April 5th, and the start date will be the 20th of January. Please contact me if this deadline is not long enough and will change to something that suits

So what do you guys think about this?

Sounds cool, and I'd probably try and participate BUT . . . this is not yet a complete idea. No given themes, no given custom textures. Compiling resources could become a real problem. Also, randomly paired together is maybe TOO random. I, for example, am not too fluent with Boom, though I can get some effects to work, but I can vanilla map well. What if n00bish mappers were placed with veterans? Or perhaps vanilla mappers placed with Boom experts? Considering this would really help the durability and quality of this proposed concept.

Also, you haven't really addressed HOW two mappers would work together, though I suppose you would let each pair determine their own mapping guidelines. I suppose it could work, but expect more than a few pairs to become dysfunctional and drop out.

Egregor said:

Sounds cool, and I'd probably try and participate BUT . . . this is not yet a complete idea. No given themes, no given custom textures. Compiling resources could become a real problem. Also, randomly paired together is maybe TOO random. I, for example, am not too fluent with Boom, though I can get some effects to work, but I can vanilla map well. What if n00bish mappers were placed with veterans? Or perhaps vanilla mappers placed with Boom experts? Considering this would really help the durability and quality of this proposed concept.

I see what you mean, between now and when I feel it should become official I might change things. With the theme it should be standard Doom 2 progression Starbase,City,Hell though I might change it. The situation between a Mapping n00b and a veteran being paired together or vice versa could be fixed with a tier system one with n00bs the other veterans and the same thing could be done with the vanilla mappers and boom mappers but that shouldn't be much of a problem. Though if I had to choose a texture pack it would probably be the community chest 4 texture pack. I might move the start date from the 5th to the 20th to accommodate the changes and finalizations

I think this is a good idea. If the resourcea get sorted out you can count me in. I would suggest limit removing only (no Boom specials) to avoid the issues Egregor raised.

I wouldn't mind whether I'm paired with a more or less experienced mapper - it's a learning experience either way.

sgt dopey said:

With the theme it should be standard Doom 2 progression Starbase,City,Hell

how about Hell, City, Starbase? Familiar yet different.