Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld Links Page

http://www.doomworld.com/links/

It's obviously not done yet, but my plan is to make it a good source for links to all sorts of crap related to Doom.

What I am asking of you is twofold:

1) Suggest new categories and subcategories and sub-sub-categories, because obviously the few I put in don't cover everything known to man.

2) Submit links.

That is all.

fodders said:

Goddamnit, why must I live in a 1024x768 world when I'm set to 800x600? There's only one wallpaper there that will support me! :(

Oh, about suggestions; I take it fan fiction sites will be under Misc.

The following could of course be split up, the same stack for both Classic and 3:

Official Site
Publisher's Site
Perhaps one or two places to buy it

Info sites
FAQs
walkthroughs
easter eggs

Editing sites
skins
sp levels
mods/ports
perhaps a site with info on how to do each one
perhaps a link to Doomworld's own utilities section on each one

multiplayer information (gameplay tricks, how to set up, etc)
multiplayer clans
multiplayer level web caches
multiplayer chat
multiplayer registry (search gamenames, emails, ICQ "Free to Frag" mode)

forums
irc channels
other generalized meet-doomer places

then of course, there'll just have to be a miscellaneous section

Linguica said:

http://www.doomworld.com/links/

It's obviously not done yet, but my plan is to make it a good source for links to all sorts of crap related to Doom.

What I am asking of you is twofold:

1) Suggest new categories and subcategories and sub-sub-categories, because obviously the few I put in don't cover everything known to man.

2) Submit links.

That is all.

1) Grouping source ports by platform is not a good idea, since most ports sit on a variety of platforms. I reckon you list on the ones in current development and list the features and platform next to it.

2) This is going to sound picky, but "source ports" is a poor term to use, since its badly inaccurate. At the very basic level, Boom is a enhancement of the Doom Engine and since all current engines in development are more advanced than Boom, "game engines" is better. I'm thinking how some of people who are stiffing around looking for Doom III are going to know what the fuck a "source port" is - game engine is better.

3) Obviously EDGE (http://edge.sourceforge.net) under source ports/game engines.

4) Yadex (http://www.linuxgames.com/yadex/). Quality editor that works under Linux.

fodders said:

But it uses the Doom source

To port from the source code implies you just moved to it from one platform to another and done nothing with it. EDGE, ZDoom, Legacy, Boom and PrBoom are all based on the doom source, but I'll bet my life that the majority of these so-called ports bare very little relation to the original code. ZDoom's code is a totally rewritten version of Doom (Randy did a conversion to C++ early on) and therefore by your definition is not a source port.

This is one thing I'd could sit and argue about for days, but it is a very minor point and if Ling chooses to follow what I've said or doesn't its not going to cause the sky to full in....

fodders said:

Evil returns Winter 2002

Wtf is that for a damn super optimist?

There should be some kind of 'Doom Fun' page with links to stuff like the Commandments of Doom, and other stuff like that (if there is any).

Ling it would be great if you put in a nice looking drop down menu so everyone can access any category of the links regardless where they are at. I'm not talking about those html drop down menu's, I'm talking about those that have sub categories and look nice and could fit the color schemes available. Just a suggestion. =]

I direct you to my sig. :P

Soon, when the progress on Doom 64 TC gets further there will be info on there. Not to mention the other stuff on there.

As for categories, hmm... Source Ports, Multiplayer, Total Conversions, Other Doom Projects (music, sounds, skins, wads, etc), News Sites.

I just got an idea for a few new sections and stuff

Doom Engine Games

Heretic
Hexen
Strife

Just use the catergories from Classic Doom, except the ones that do not apply to these games or whatever, in fact, some URLS from the Classic Doom section could be used under these catergories as well...

Doom Fan Games

Stuff like that 2D Doom, that text Doom, and that one stupid Doom clone...

Just a few ideas, dunno if they are any good...but hey, at least I'm trying to help! :)

Cool, my site's been accepted in the classic/personal pages section.

Thanks Ling. :-)

You should probably put a star or something to show that the site is no longer updated (dead). I don't really like sites that haven't been updated in three years. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be included though. Just a suggestion.

Doom II Guy said:

You should probably put a star or something to show that the site is no longer updated (dead). I don't really like sites that haven't been updated in three years. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be included though. Just a suggestion.

Naw, to show a dead site, it should have the Doom skull cursor next to it...

It's nice to see a site interested in promoting the entire DOOM community and not just itself. Way to go DOOMWORLD! :)

Rellik said:

It's nice to see a site interested in promoting the entire DOOM community and not just itself. Way to go DOOMWORLD! :)

DW always was and still is the best Doom site around

Rellik said:

What can I say, I'm just an upstanding citizen and an all around great guy. And I'm modest to boot.

Weedster said:

I'd submit my site too, but I have to make one first :)

Cool you make wads too? You should submit them somewhere or tell us where to get them.

No, I'm thinking about making some fan fiction stories...sorry if that wasn't what you were expecting. I suck at level making.

Weedster said:

No, I'm thinking about making some fan fiction stories...sorry if that wasn't what you were expecting. I suck at level making.

Have you ever tried it? I always thought I sucked...until I actually got un-lazy and downloaded WadAuthor. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.