Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
andrewj

Eureka 0.88 released + small update

Here's a truly funderful chrissy prezzy: a new release of Eureka DOOM Editor :)

The focus of this release was improved file handling, and to that end there are better Open Map and Export Map dialogs, as well as new Manage Wads and Recent Files dialogs, plus the iwad/port/resource settings are saved in your pwad and automatically restored on load.

Other notable changes include picture mode for the Things browser, a panel for Default Properties, new Move/Scale/Rotate dialogs (in Edit menu), and support for HACX. Plus numerous lesser features and a few bug fixes too.

Linky: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/

I'll probably be taking a break from developing Eureka for a while, and work on other stuff. Of course feel free to send bug reports, feature suggestions (etc).

---- UPDATE ----

I just released an updated version, Eureka 0.88c. It fixes a bug compiling on 64-bit machines, fixed a bug in Manage Wads dialog, fixes the slime trails in 3D view, and most significantly includes a port definition for Doom Legacy (thanks to Wesley Johnson).

With this update I have also created a Debian binary package (for i386 architecture only), meaning you won't have to compile it yourself. Hopefully it will work on other OSes too (Ubuntu, Arch, Mint). Feedback on whether or not it works on your system would be really appreciated, as this is the first time I've ever made a debian package.

Cheers everybody!

I tried installing the .deb on Mint 13 x64 (with multiarch support). No error, but Eureka didn't update from version 0.88. No Legacy config, About dialog still showed it at 0.88.

dragonsbrethren@dkk-mint ~/Downloads $ sudo gdebi eureka_0.88-3_i386.deb 
[sudo] password for dragonsbrethren: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Building data structures... Done 
Building data structures... Done 

map editor for DOOM
 Eureka is a map editor for DOOM.
Do you want to install the software package? [y/N]:y
Selecting previously unselected package eureka:i386.
(Reading database ... 164324 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking eureka:i386 (from eureka_0.88-3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up eureka:i386 (0.88-3) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
eureka:i386 is showing as installed in Synaptic, but no installed files are listed.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I tried installing the .deb on Mint 13 x64 (with multiarch support). No error, but Eureka didn't update from version 0.88. No Legacy config, About dialog still showed it at 0.88.

The debian package installs files into /usr, and won't affect the stuff installed by the source code makefile which installs files into /usr/local/.

Could you please try getting the 0.88c source code and doing "sudo make uninstall", and reinstalling the debian package?

The About dialog should show "0.88c" as the version.

I don't know why Synaptic would show no installed files (here it shows some installed files).

Thanks for trying this.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Yep, the .deb is working fine for me.

Great news, thanks again!

Might it be possible for the inspector pane to be undockable into a floating window? It kinda distracts… It would be useful in order to have a near-fullscreen canvas. And maybe make the inspector only show and hide on-demand (but still be modeless).

I'm considering withholding a MacOS10 release until the FLTK native settings window is finished by andrewj… Lots of things have changed so far, that have made my current initialization/settings window largely incompatible :)

With fullscreen — though I believe it's from native FLTK code — the OSX menu bar gets hidden without revealing itself my mousing over it. Fullscreen then can only be exited by way of shortcut key (if assigned). Would ESC be a good candidate for exiting fullscreen?

It could be useful to be able to hide the inspector panel -- added to the TODO.

But I find floating windows to be a real pain (ever used the GIMP?), so I won't do that.

Fullscreen support seems more trouble than its worth, I haven't tested it on Windows but here in Linux it does not work properly (e.g. when coming back to normal, the window title and borders are gone) -- and you're saying on MacOSX the menu becomes inaccessible. Plus I doubt the FLTK developers will fix these things. So I think I have to say a big 'no' to fullscreen support.

There are 2 issues worth considering:

• if I drag a vertex on top of another, in such a way that linedefs will overlap (1:1, not necessarily partially), the linedefs will not merge.

• if I draw a new sector inside a void island, with sides connected to the island edge, the entire island will be occupied by sectors, not just the region covered by the drawn polygon.
Other things, less important (list may get updated until a new reply appears):

- a command in the help menu that shows the given documentation from the readme.txt.
- the Meta (Command) key seems to be mapped to the Alt key. This causes conflicts with menu commands mapped to Control+something (which get automatically remapped to Command if __APPLE__ is defined) and other menu commands triggered with Alt+same letter. For example, Command+B would do both "Node Build" (which is normally Control+B) or "Show Texture Browser" (which is Alt+B, which also works on OS X). "Show Texture Browser" wins.

A feature I'd love in Eureka (but probably won't happen due to complications) would be auto-save: just edit and forget, the changes have been saved. And coupled with auto-backup, so you don't lose anything on your wad. Do Linux apps exist that do this, or is this feature too controversial and complicated? I love it, though I agree XWE did it poorly and dangerously.

printz said:

There are 2 issues worth considering:

• if I drag a vertex on top of another, in such a way that linedefs will overlap (1:1, not necessarily partially), the linedefs will not merge.

• if I draw a new sector inside a void island, with sides connected to the island edge, the entire island will be occupied by sectors, not just the region covered by the drawn polygon.

OK, will add these to the TODO for fixing.

- the Meta (Command) key seems to be mapped to the Alt key. This causes conflicts with menu commands mapped to Control+something (which get automatically remapped to Command if __APPLE__ is defined) and other menu commands triggered with Alt+same letter. For example, Command+B would do both "Node Build" (which is normally Control+B) or "Show Texture Browser" (which is Alt+B, which also works on OS X). "Show Texture Browser" wins.

The issue here seems to be that ALT is not handled properly -- toggling the texture browser is actually bound to plain 'b' key, but since ALT is not checked then ALT-B can also activate that function (when is should not).

So I have noted this as a bug to fix (probably when configurable keys are implemented).

auto-backup

I am planning a backup system like that (it's a high priority item in the TODO, and for me personally it's the highest priority thing). Once that is in place, adding auto-save should be fairly easy to add.

Personally, I'm extremely tempted to make Eureka use the FLTK window-based menu bar even in Mac OS X, and use the system menu bar for other things, customizable by the user (macros and scripts?) [I'm speaking as a user here, not as someone who's going to edit the code now]

Is workflow scripting planned for Eureka? :P
Oblige script mhahahah.

Automatically doing things like mathematically chaotic detailing would be interesting, in any case.

printz said:

Personally, I'm extremely tempted to make Eureka use the FLTK window-based menu bar even in Mac OS X, and use the system menu bar for other things, customizable by the user (macros and scripts?) [I'm speaking as a user here, not as someone who's going to edit the code now]

Wouldn't that go against normal MacOS guidelines (and user expectations) ?

Is workflow scripting planned for Eureka?

Scripting is planned, e.g. can load scripts from files or type something in a window and execute it, and bind scripts to key presses.

andrewj said:

Wouldn't that go against normal MacOS guidelines (and user expectations) ?

Probably. Maybe better not tamper with it :)

I wish the texture pictures in the side-view were aligned vertically upper, middle, lower, so it was not so hard to figure out which was the upper texture. The name and info could then be along side the texture, maybe even marked as UPPER, MID, LOWER.

I constantly use the commands in Yadex for cleanup-unconnected, checking-missing-textures, etc..
I have not discovered any equivalent yet in Eureka.

I would be nice if a necessary missing texture had a red missing-texture placeholder notation.

Is there a 3D preview ?? I use that quite often in Yadex.

wesleyjohnson said:

I wish the texture pictures in the side-view were aligned vertically upper, middle, lower, so it was not so hard to figure out which was the upper texture. The name and info could then be along side the texture, maybe even marked as UPPER, MID, LOWER.

I would prefer that layout too, but it doesn't fit on a 800x600 screen and I don't want to require any higher resolutions than that.

I constantly use the commands in Yadex for cleanup-unconnected, checking-missing-textures, etc..
I have not discovered any equivalent yet in Eureka.

They have not been re-implemented yet. It is a high priority thing though, I miss them too.

The red missing-texture placeholder is a good idea.

Is there a 3D preview ??

Press TAB to toggle it on and off.

Would it be possible for the 3D view walk to respond to key-down and key-up events, instead of being subject to key repeat times? It would be more relaxing to the fingers, not to have to tap the arrow keys repeatedly to move at a steady speed.

printz said:

Would it be possible for the 3D view walk to respond to key-down and key-up events, instead of being subject to key repeat times? It would be more relaxing to the fingers, not to have to tap the arrow keys repeatedly to move at a steady speed.

Yeah, probably do this by modifying the Main_Loop() code to call a function which checks certain keys are active (e.g. 'W') and moves the camera position accordingly. May need to reduce Fl::wait(0.2) to make it smoother. You would need to use TimeGetMillies() utility to get the time difference, and flag which keys of interest are pressed by checking the keydown/keyup events in the UI_Canvas::handle() method.

I've been using the Ubuntu package downloaded from your webpage on another computer. I've noticed that currently Eureka is not very roaming-friendly, that is, I believe it writes down the absolute paths to resource wads, and they won't match if I edit the WAD on different computers. On mismatch, it deletes the resource WAD reference, and I have to tell it again where to locate it. I'm using a Git repository for my wads so the relative paths ought to be the same between my levels and resources...

Oh, and another thing. On Ubuntu 12.10, the software centre (which opens DEB files) warned me that Eureka Editor is not trusted and I'd better not install it :)

printz said:

I've been using the Ubuntu package downloaded from your webpage on another computer. I've noticed that currently Eureka is not very roaming-friendly, that is, I believe it writes down the absolute paths to resource wads, and they won't match if I edit the WAD on different computers. On mismatch, it deletes the resource WAD reference, and I have to tell it again where to locate it.

I have added a fix for this (in SVN).

The paths are still absolute, it is on the TODO to store paths relative to $HOME using the "~/" syntax.

On Ubuntu 12.10, the software centre (which opens DEB files) warned me that Eureka Editor is not trusted and I'd better not install it :)

I'm guessing any 3rd party package would give that warning -- probably nothing I can do about that.

andrewj said:

I'm guessing any 3rd party package would give that warning -- probably nothing I can do about that.

Somewhat true. That warning happens because the package is unsigned. If you sign it, then the key can be imported to remove that message. I haven't figured out how to get signing to work so I can't help you here (and not to mention importing a key for one package is probably more of a hassle than it's worth).

The easiest thing to do would be to set up a ppa on launchpad. I believe that handles the signing and key distribution for you.

I thought it was probably a signing thing.

But I'm actually not too worried about the warning, 3rd party packages should be treated with some suspicion / diligence by a user, and I don't think signing the package (assuming it's possible without being an official Debian developer) makes it any more trust-worthy.