Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Stacked 3D floors

I've just recently figured this out in GZDoom by total accident, but did you know that you can put multiple 3D floors into one sector by setting both to the same sector tag? In game it seems to work great too.

I feel like a real dumbass for not figuring this out earlier! My question is, is this a real feature did I run into some kind of exploit? Are there any downsides to using this? How long has this been a feature?

I honestly used to be very jealous at the EDuke32 guys for having 'true room over room' stuff, but this makes me a happy guy!

Yes, it is explicitly supported and the game logic has no hard limits on the numbers of extra floors any given sector might have.

Gez said:

Yes, it is explicitly supported and the game logic has no hard limits on the numbers of extra floors any given sector might have.

Is it just for GZDoom or ZDoom as well?

Agentbromsnor said:

Is it just for GZDoom or ZDoom as well?

The game logic is the exact same for both.

The software renderer will have degraded performances faster than the hardware renderer, and of course there is the prohibition on sloped 3D floors in software; but otherwise they have the same capabilities.

I think prohibition is the wrong word. You can have sloped 3d floors in Zdoom if you want, they just won't render. So they are there as invisible blocks.

kristus said:

I think prohibition is the wrong word. You can have sloped 3d floors in Zdoom if you want, they just won't render. So they are there as invisible blocks.

Well, thats no use. I'm not using ZDoom, but I was curious if it would work since ZDoom already supports slopes and 3D floors as of late.

I exploited this feature quite a bit in Putrefier. It would be nice if the sector_set3dfloor tag used an options list that pulled info from multiple tagged sectors instead of using multiple control lines / sectors tagged to one target.

I remember when I first started mapping for SRB2, with its Doom Legacy-based 3D floors and all, I didn't realize, for the longest time, that you could stack them by tagging multiple ones to the same tag, and started designing levels under the limitation of one 3D floor per sector. Felt like a damn fool when I figured out how to put two in one sector instead.

A lesson learned that carried over to GZDoom, really.

Shadow Hog said:

I remember when I first started mapping for SRB2, with its Doom Legacy-based 3D floors and all, I didn't realize, for the longest time, that you could stack them by tagging multiple ones to the same tag, and started designing levels under the limitation of one 3D floor per sector. Felt like a damn fool when I figured out how to put two in one sector instead.

A lesson learned that carried over to GZDoom, really.

Same here, haha!

Ed said:

I exploited this feature quite a bit in Putrefier. It would be nice if the sector_set3dfloor tag used an options list that pulled info from multiple tagged sectors instead of using multiple control lines / sectors tagged to one target.

boris made a real handy 3d floor plugin for GZDB (might actually work also in Doom Builder 2? not sure) that does let you manage the issue of multiple control lines/sectors quite nicely. definitely recommended to anyone planning on using a lot of overlapping 3d floors