Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

Live Doom/Doom 2/Chexquest live speedrun (SDA marathon)

DOOM's about to start right now; I'm watching ^_^

Also watched Miles pwn Metroid Prime 1 and 2 the other night, and Paraxade playing some Sonic.

Quasar said:

Also watched Miles pwn Metroid Prime 1 and 2 the other night, and Paraxade playing some Sonic.

Paraxade breaking the broken Sonic '06 was hilarious, I was cracking up laughing during that. It's fun to watch the Doom run since I know the most about its techniques. Already at E3!

Ribbiks said:

map30

Well, okay, there's the Icon of Sin, but otherwise?

ED: Okay, he clarified that he meant that exact situation. Fair enough.

No big screw ups Doom1 run so it was clearly better than Doom2. Nice rocket jump @ E2M7 and all the tricks worked good except after the void glide in E2M6 some problems with the exit button.

The way he did the map21 glide was rather surprising as it is the hardest way to do it, IMO. Barrels of fun was quite painful to watch but shit like that can happen while streaming. Monster Condo was rather risky but rest of the run went really good, especially map28.

pretty ballsy to go for the routes he chose while playing live, though I would've rather watched a more 'normal' route that played without saves. still entertaining though, so whatever.

I was thinking if he deliberately left longtics on. I thought it would be harder to do glides that way. Nice run for marathon though, especially doom1.
Ribbiks: I think it's nice they show some tricks, even if they fail.

I wonder how he found out about the void glide possibility. It's relatively new trick after all.

dobugabumaru said:

I forgot how cheery the Chex Quest palette was. Such a cute little game.

Yep the vanilla Doom palette is super cheery. :P (To be serious, Chex Quest uses the same palette as Doom).

Yeah, SRB2 also used the Doom palette up until the relatively-recent version 2.0, so if you make the graphics for it, you can totally make a hyper-saturated Doom-based game without any palette changes.

Actually, I recall being surprised to recently learn that Strife also uses the stock Doom palette... I dunno why, but I'd always assumed it used a custom one like Heretic and Hexen do. (EDIT: This is completely wrong, as per below)

Shadow Hog said:

Actually, I recall being surprised to recently learn that Strife also uses the stock Doom palette... I

You can unlearn that right now - Strife doesn't use stock Doom palette.

tempun said:

You can unlearn that right now - Strife doesn't use stock Doom palette.

...you're right. Derp.

What's bizarre is I recall loading up the IWAD to extract the palette, and getting the vanilla Doom palette out of it. Must've done something wrong.

Consider it thoroughly unlearned.