Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I just found out the Mac Hexen Demo contains a newer IWAD (1.1) compared to the DOS Demo (1.0). Also, Hexen Demo 1.1 doesn't work with ZDoom. EDIT: After some quick testing I have concluded that no ZDoom-based source port runs it correctly. Vavoom seem to support it though.

Difficulties with the support of Hexen are probably based on the "hub" concept for a more non-linear gameplay: You can visit maps more than once, and they keep track of changes.

Vavoom is also probably the only existing Strife compatible source port. As far as I know. And Strife even has different story plots, depending on key decisions. I wish anyone knew more than me about the quirks of the Strife game logic and and had written a more comprehensive walkthrough with notes about alternative solutions. I never found another one, besides my own, which was not at all complete.

LigH said:

Vavoom is also probably the only existing Strife compatible source port. As far as I know. And Strife even has different story plots, depending on key decisions. I wish anyone knew more than me about the quirks of the Strife game logic and and had written a more comprehensive walkthrough with notes about alternative solutions. I never found another one, besides my own, which was not at all complete.

Chocolate Strife is probably the only port with accurate Strife compatibility, actually. Quasar and Kaiser put it together, studying the differences from Doom's regular engine by reverse-engineering the EXE with a disassembler.

Other than that, there's Kaiser's older SvStrife port, and ZDoom, both of which are at least compatible enough to play the standard game without major issues.

Untamed64 said:

Something my Friend discovered

"In map10 of Doom II, near the place where it connects four paths (one being the arachnotron & revenant arena, and one being the zombie corridors), there are three small squares which don't seem to have anything in them and are visible in the upper most corners of the sectors."

Probably sectors 48, 102, and 106. Next to a lengthy north-south hallway.

I can't imagine any use of them either... Sometimes, distant small subsectors are used in elevator tricks, but they would be part of a complex sector then. But those are just there. And even separated by blocking walls.

LigH said:

Probably sectors 48, 102, and 106. Next to a lengthy north-south hallway.

I can't imagine any use of them either... Sometimes, distant small subsectors are used in elevator tricks, but they would be part of a complex sector then. But those are just there. And even separated by blocking walls.

It's to make the flickering lights possible - neighboring sectors need at least a light value differing in 32 units to enable lighting effects if specified so. The flickering sectors all have a brightness of 192 so the small utility sectors are needed.

Just a question to DoomHackErs: Is it possible to make BFG shots in DOOM 1/2 homing like Revenant missiles, or is this behaviour bound to NPC weapons (e.g. only monsters having a target field in their data)?

In ZDoom the player's weapons (made using DECORATE) only actually home in one the target when the crosshair is directly on the enemy. I can't vouch for how that works with autoaim and don't know how to apply these things in DeHackEd, so the best bet would be to try making it and see what happens, IMO.

LigH said:

Just a question to DoomHackErs: Is it possible to make BFG shots in DOOM 1/2 homing like Revenant missiles, or is this behaviour bound to NPC weapons (e.g. only monsters having a target field in their data)?

Using this, and some parameters, you can make anything a homing projectile.

Well, this goes beyond DeHackEd. Incompatible with not too elaborate source ports.

BloodyAcid said:

Using this, and some parameters, you can make anything a homing projectile.

Terry managed to use it, unfortunately.

Memfis said:

What are weapons 8 and 9? And what is 1, is it fist or chainsaw or both? Also will this stuff work with -complevel 9 or does it enforce some specific weapon order?

As Gez explained: internally, each weapon has a unique number and a symbolic name beginning "wp_". Weapons 8 and 9 are the chainsaw and super shotgun. (although wp_chainsaw and wp_supershotgun are actually 7 and 8 because they start from zero.) 1 (or 0 rather) is wp_fist.

However you also press the number keys 1-9 to change weapon. There are rules, as Gez posted, for mapping keypresses to weapons. In particular, pressing 1 will result in wp_fist or wp_chainsaw, depending on context. For Doom the rules are fixed but in Boom they can be changed by fiddling with your weapon preferences.

Finally, because Boom records "cooked" weapon numbers into demos rather than Doom's "raw" keypress numbers, any variation in your weapon preferences, e.g. putting fist above chainsaw after years of having it the other way round, only affects the weapon changes recorded into a new demo. Existing ones will play back exactly the same. –complevel 9 does not enforce any particular weapon order preference.

Ribbiks said:

is there some way to disable forced switching when running out of ammo after deliberately choosing a weapon (prboom)?

No, unfortunately this is (a consequence of) a fairly infamous bug we've all inherited from Boom (e.g. here's a 6 year old thread about it) I believe it can be fixed, and retroactively, without breaking demo sync. But I'm afraid it might make people think your demos are tool-assisted...

I recently found a new secret on map06 of doom 2, with rocket launcher and some ZIMMER. mindblowing when found after many years (not that I was even trying to find it before).

Scypek2 said:

I recently found a new secret on map06 of doom 2, with rocket launcher and some ZIMMER. mindblowing when found after many years (not that I was even trying to find it before).

Absolutely love the look of that room and the carnage when you shoot the barrel...

I just found out that deathbringer's uhhhhhhhh is not a part of the post, but somewhat embedded into it automatically (when using "show all posts by this user", uhhhhhhhh never appears).
XDXD xdxd ** **
Doomworld is a really weird place, and there's probably some stuff i still haven't discovered.

These x and d is me testing nonsense censoring.

I 'think' this is right, but I just found out (by reading somewhere) that there is a proper (effective) way of using the BFG.

I know it kills most things in a room and almost anything with a direct hit, but apparently there is an art to using it for maximum damage.

If that is indeed correct I would appreciate it if somebody could explain this a little further. Im still just poiting and firing.

It's a single powerful projectile, that, when it explodes, triggers a fan of 40 reasonably-powerful hit-scans to originate from the player in the original orientation it was fired.

So, if you want as much of the shot to hit an individual as possible, you melee with it, being sure to keep pushing into whatever you hit after the big ball has exploded, because the hit-scans aren't quite instant (it's pretty likely to one-shot a Spider Mastermind. Particularly in ports like ZDoom that fix the blockmap).

To avoid wasting the hit-scans, you'll want to make sure that monsters are in the line of fire of them. As an example of how this works, if you fire the BFG at a Cyberdemon and then run around him (imagine he is the centre of a compass. You start at the South, facing in and then run around to the North as the BFG ball hits him) then all of the hit-scans will still fire off to the North (not quite reaching NorthWest or NorthEast, due to the arc), meaning the Cyberdemon doesn't get hit by anything other than the initial ball. If you were to start North, fire the ball off North and then run around to be South of the Cyberdemon he'll then get hit by some of the hit-scans, even though the ball was fired away from him (and even if you're looking South when the ball explodes).

Obviously it is at it's most visually effective if you shoot it into a crowd of 41 Zombiemen that happen to conveniently be placed in an arc of roughly 80 degrees (I think) with one right in the centre to take the initial ball, but due to it's interesting behaviour, it is a very versatile weapon.

Phobus said:

It's a single powerful projectile, that, when it explodes, triggers a fan of 40 reasonably-powerful hit-scans to originate from the player in the original orientation it was fired.

So, if you want as much of the shot to hit an individual as possible, you melee with it, being sure to keep pushing into whatever you hit after the big ball has exploded, because the hit-scans aren't quite instant (it's pretty likely to one-shot a Spider Mastermind. Particularly in ports like ZDoom that fix the blockmap).

To avoid wasting the hit-scans, you'll want to make sure that monsters are in the line of fire of them. As an example of how this works, if you fire the BFG at a Cyberdemon and then run around him (imagine he is the centre of a compass. You start at the South, facing in and then run around to the North as the BFG ball hits him) then all of the hit-scans will still fire off to the North (not quite reaching NorthWest or NorthEast, due to the arc), meaning the Cyberdemon doesn't get hit by anything other than the initial ball. If you were to start North, fire the ball off North and then run around to be South of the Cyberdemon he'll then get hit by some of the hit-scans, even though the ball was fired away from him (and even if you're looking South when the ball explodes).

Ok, thats really interesting and very well explained, thanking you very much :)

Obviously it is at it's most visually effective if you shoot it into a crowd of 41 Zombiemen that happen to conveniently be placed in an arc of roughly 80 degrees (I think) with one right in the centre to take the initial ball, but due to it's interesting behaviour, it is a very versatile weapon. [/B]

ummm, I think I may actually do that, be a great laugh. 40 hit scans seem like a lot, especially as you never usually see 40 enemies at once, but im guessing many of them will hit the same enemy for more damage if there is nothing else to hit. One projectile being powerful enough to kill a Zombie, hence as you say 41 zombie uses the weapon to best effect.

Coll stuff!!

I only just found out how to get the red key in doom 2 map 15. I always figured it involved running across the tops of the crates from the window, which was too difficult so I cheated. Makes me wonder if its even possible to do it that way now.

mouldy said:

I only just found out how to get the red key in doom 2 map 15. I always figured it involved running across the tops of the crates from the window, which was too difficult so I cheated. Makes me wonder if its even possible to do it that way now.

It is. And its easier.

qoncept said:

It is. And its easier.

Yea. The only thing I hated in it was that every time I hit the opposite ceiling edger line by forehead, I fell down like a bag of potatoes, because it is f*cking obligatory to fall in the same pace you've got into once hit a wall/obstacle. The same hate for being not able to discover that damn MAP06 secret that contains the second Megasphere and the backpack for quite a long time. I had to put some game physics in practice, not to run so fast.

Cell said:

The only thing I hated in it was that every time I hit the opposite ceiling edger line by forehead, I fell down like a bag of potatoes, because it is f*cking obligatory to fall in the same pace you've got into once hit a wall/obstacle. The same hate for being not able to discover that damn MAP06 secret that contains the second Megasphere and the backpack for quite a long time.

This.

I used to wonder what is actually that red key for, given how simple and obvious taking the teleport in the burning pit is.

Cell said:

Yea. The only thing I hated in it was that every time I hit the opposite ceiling edger line by forehead, I fell down like a bag of potatoes, because it is f*cking obligatory to fall in the same pace you've got into once hit a wall/obstacle. The same hate for being not able to discover that damn MAP06 secret that contains the second Megasphere and the backpack for quite a long time. I had to put some game physics in practice, not to run so fast.

How are you supposed to get into that, anyway? On ZDoom, which has a modicum of air control, I can just run full-speed into the wall and inch my hitbox just over the linedef as I pass the gap, giving myself foothold on the opening... but I tried this on Saturn Doom (JPN version, but it's still pretty sluggish), and just couldn't make it.