Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Eris Falling said:

Link via ErisVision™

From what Capellan has said, it doesn't sound like this map is off to a good start, except for that mention of some detail.
I'll keep trying that link. Might just be a cock-up on my end.

Nope it now does that for me now. Mediafire is a money grabbing bitch

Eris Falling said:
From what Capellan has said, it doesn't sound like this map is off to a good start, except for that mention of some detail.

Try this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?gka8tk9u3oq7ipx

The problems with the new level are all able to be corrected, and they tend to be technical rather than the 'wtf am I looking at' elements of the last one :)

Half an hour in DB2 would be enough to clean up these first few rooms quite well. Though I think joe-ilya said he doesn't use DB2.

Well. This is a sure improvement on before. I'll put this into the OP as V2.0.0
In fact, this could turn out to be quite a neat map with the right guidance.
The idea of it being a lab is fine, since after MAP18 and 19, it's clear that the player has left the main city.

Even if DB2 isn't used as the main mapping EXE, it can still be used for extra detailing afterwards.
I believe you said you did that for your CC4 map Capellan?

Eris Falling said:

Even if DB2 isn't used as the main mapping EXE, it can still be used for extra detailing afterwards.
I believe you said you did that for your CC4 map Capellan?

I used DETH for all editing prior to releasing the first version of the wad. I used DB2 for all editing after I started getting feedback.

I had to rework the whole key area of "Map03/Gantlet" since the old one kinda lacked excitement and playability.

]

New/er revision - last pathway has been added now. Made the last room fit the first room of Antroid's Map04.

Eris Falling said:

Link via ErisVision™

I'll keep trying that link. Might just be a cock-up on my end.

it's my fault,i didnt verified the password so the link i sent was unacceptable by the site it self,
no idea how the others got to the link

reupdate and fixes

: http://www.mediafire.com/?cxta9w39fcjemuy

Capellan said:

Try this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?gka8tk9u3oq7ipx

The problems with the new level are all able to be corrected, and they tend to be technical rather than the 'wtf am I looking at' elements of the last one :)

Half an hour in DB2 would be enough to clean up these first few rooms quite well. Though I think joe-ilya said he doesn't use DB2.

i use db2 and grid stuff and the geometry

joe-ilya said:

it's my fault,i didnt verified the password so the link i sent was unacceptable by the site it self,
no idea how the others got to the link

reupdate and fixes

: http://www.mediafire.com/?cxta9w39fcjemuy

I AM A MORON WHO PUTS HUGE IMAGES IN IMG TAGS
This just looks plain odd to me. Besides:

John Romero said:

always changing floor height when I wanted to change floor textures

That room is the only real problem I have with this map so far. It's just too bland for my liking.

I don't agree with Capellan on rock + STEP textures though, since I have come across places in real life of a similar nature.

Map13: Version 1.1

Fixes the damaging sector error picked up by Ledillman, moves a few things, and textures the building beyond the exit in the style of the beginning of Map 14. @Eris: please replace link in the OP.

qoncept said:

What does the name "Gotcha!" have to do with an Earth city?

Comes from the unaware sergeant at the start. This map would have had a more worthy name as it looks like a huge crater in the middle of a city where most of the buildings have sunken into blood and only few structures are upright. I would have named it as ''Blood Crater'' or ''Bloodbath City''.

ASD said:

Comes from the unaware sergeant at the start. This map would have had a more worthy name as it looks like a huge crater in the middle of a city where most of the buildings have sunken into blood and only few structures are upright. I would have named it as ''Blood Crater'' or ''Bloodbath City''.

Never made that connection at all. The only level name that ever really couldn't go wrong was Barrel's o Fun.

What annoyed me most about Gothcha was that it was AFTER "The Citadel". Citadel felt like the final City level, you were afterall going through the city to get to the source of the invasion, and it ends in two castle-like maps, with Citadel having an extremely locked exit, with an odd pool that you jump in. That made more sense to me as the final City map, but then Gotcha comes in.

For a long time I actually thought Gotcha was the first Hell map for this reason..until I played Doom 2 all/most of the way through again.

If I was doing Gotcha in this, I'd probably make it a castle style level to fit that level progression, using the level name for several things (Finally finding the source, ie thinking "gotcha!", reverse traps like the original's name, a chase maybe if thats even possible to create)

Back then I wondered what the name Gotcha! meant for that map. The first thing I noticed at the start was the massive blood sea, so you got ''caught'' by the blood which led me think it was a very original name. Years ago someone mentioned the sergeant -connection which gave me a new meaning for the map setting. Just kill the sergeant and you've done, the rest of the map is some untitled section of the Hell torn city. It's still a great map idea and has some cool and obscure secrets like the TEKGREN room below the start. The exit rooms of MAP19 and 20 look quite similar btw, but the designers are not the same. Sandy's one looks better.

Ragnor said:

What annoyed me most about Gothcha was that it was AFTER "The Citadel". Citadel felt like the final City level, you were afterall going through the city to get to the source of the invasion, and it ends in two castle-like maps, with Citadel having an extremely locked exit, with an odd pool that you jump in. That made more sense to me as the final City map, but then Gotcha comes in.

Wow. It seems everyone else gave all of this WAY more thought than I ever did. The levels were all so abstract that I could never tell where you were "supposed" to be. To the extent that it seemed like there was never any attempt to convey location. The Factory in particular -- it doesn't look anything like a factory. The name is meaningless and its location in terms of the rest of the game is meaningless. To me anyway.

I also never really even considered the progression from earth to hell. I'm knew that was the general plot and I'm sure I read the screens during the game at some point, but I never cared. I just want to kill things.

Again, the start room is too bland.
That armor/health bonus secret still hasn't been addressed. It's really useless.

What's with the stone/vine texture for door tracks going in to the slime room?

And of course, getting inb4 everyone else

Please remove everything Wolfenstein related from this level. It only belongs in the secret level.

How is this project shaping up? Do you think you will need any help with mapping? I wouldn't mind lending a hand if its needed.

qoncept said:

Wow. It seems everyone else gave all of this WAY more thought than I ever did. The levels were all so abstract that I could never tell where you were "supposed" to be. To the extent that it seemed like there was never any attempt to convey location. The Factory in particular -- it doesn't look anything like a factory. The name is meaningless and its location in terms of the rest of the game is meaningless. To me anyway.

I also never really even considered the progression from earth to hell. I'm knew that was the general plot and I'm sure I read the screens during the game at some point, but I never cared. I just want to kill things.

Ive always been much more invested in the feel of exploration and progression, its why this project apeals to me (I wanted a project like this for YEARS actually!). Even when I was little and IDDQDing all of Doom 2 to SLAUGHTER MORE BADGUYS, I still payed a lot of attention to the maps themselves. Ive ALWAYS hated Icon of Sin's texturing for example. I retextured the whole level to be more hellish one time :D

I would probably have been a big help to this project if I found it a lot earlier.

Eris, way to get caught with 1 HP :D

CorSair said:

Had to sacrifice bit of detail to appease the Drawsegs God. But it paid off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r530lnh7ckkhcqb/not_red_anymore.jpg

But I still feel frustrated for the removal of detail. >:(

I just have a couple of questions and thoughts about that area
1) how high are the stairs (is it 8 units, 16 etc), if it's 8 then you could double the height and half the number of stairs decreasing the number of drawsegs without sacrifising detail too much.
2) Also that circular pillar will be quite a drain on drawsegs, you could half the number of linedefs used on those pillars, yet again lowering drawsegs without too much change to detail.

Eris Falling said:

Please remove everything Wolfenstein related from this level. It only belongs in the secret level. [/B]

Can I at least leave some of the walls into a wall with out those nazi markers?

qoncept said:

Agreed. To me, Doom as a whole was a series of random spaces populated by monsters. Almost none of them resemble anything at all, although more of them live up to their names than I used to think they did. Doom 2 for the PC is very bad at conveying any sense of coherency and seems to use sky textures and a bare-bones story (which is more like "colour text" than a cohesive narrative).

That's why I like this project. It's a chance to build maps that DO live up to their names, even if they won't actually resemble any realistic places. Doom 3 DID resemble something, but nobody on Earth is going to play that over and over for 20 years.

I dunno, I've been playing MAP16 over and over to inform mine (status update probably this weekend) and there are some neat suburb-esque bits. It's a tight map, too -- not an awful lot in the way of clutter or completely-optional bits, but what is there really works.

This was a Sandy Petersen was it not? Great map.

ComicMischief said:

I dunno, I've been playing MAP16 over and over to inform mine (status update probably this weekend) and there are some neat suburb-esque bits. It's a tight map, too -- not an awful lot in the way of clutter or completely-optional bits, but what is there really works.

This was a Sandy Petersen was it not? Great map.

Yeah, and it is an awesome map. I've always been pretty partial to wide open, huge monster fight every now and then. I think I like wide open maps because I get so disoriented in corridors.

joe-ilya said:

Can I at least leave some of the walls into a wall with out those nazi markers?

No

EDIT:

I allegedly said:

I AM A MORON WHO PUTS HUGE IMAGES IN IMG TAGS

Someone out there doesn't like me :L

Just to clarify this, wolfenstein textures can't really be well integrated into the rest of the doom texture set, though it has been done well, mostly in more modern wolfenstein styled doom maps (aka map31 of 1 monster etc)
I cannot accept what you did here as you basically extended the map you already had with a section which could have easily been used in wolf3d. It's completely lacking in height variation which is a real down point tbh.

It's also worth pointing out that even the Wolfenstein map is not going to use Wolfenstein textures. Slight spoiler, perhaps. ;P

(Well, okay, maybe a cut-out Hitler portrait or two, but certainly not the standard texture backgrounds).