Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Anyone else have Doom 3: BFG Edition?

Bought it yesterday for the PS3, playing through the Doom 3 campaign for the first time in 9 years. Currently just entered Delta Labs, gonna do ROE right after I finish the campaign.

THE GOOD

- 60FPS at all times looks incredible. Never seen it go below, even with explosions and plasma shots all over.
- Chest-mounted flashlight removes a lot of the tedium from vanilla D3.
- D3 + ROE + Doom 1 and 2 + No Rest For the Living + The Lost Mission = a shitload of value for $40.

THE BAD

- No AA. Handrails are so edgy I cut myself on them.
- Doom 1 and 2's soundtrack sounds like ass.
- The editing of Wolfenstein and Grosse - I don't care THAT much, but it's kinda annoying.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend it. Anyone else pick it up?

I think they also fucked with Doom 1&2 Nightmare difficulty as well.

Personally I see no reason to buy it. I didn't care greatly for Doom 3 and own all the original iwads already.

I bought it for my PS3 to have Doom on my playstation. I have beaten both Doom 3 and RoE.

Its easily a great version of the game, plus some of the changes to it make it a better game overall.

The only real problem I have with it is that now there is often too much ammo in the levels which largely removes the need to be careful with it.

I bought a copy for PC back in October, mainly to see what changes had been made to the classic IWADs. Was not amused when it installed the Steam client.

I bought it, mainly to have a good version of Doom 3 (previously owned the Xbox version...which was fine and all, but had things cut)

The bonus Doom 1 and 2 is kind of annoying, since they released Doom Classic Complete soon afterwards (And have NO plans to put Final oom and Master Levels on the 360, what the hell?), but I dont really care for them. I wont be really investing in it until I beat DCC though.

Never have, never will. Already have DOOM 3 and classic DOOM and DOOM II.

My verdict: Not recommended, the Lost Missions are mostly cut-paste. If you already have the original 2004 release of DOOM 3, there is no point getting this unless you are a collector.

Ah crap, just realised I'll have to buy it on PC someday too just to have No Rest for the Living on a PC. The idiots at Bethesda didnt include it in the PC version of "Doom Classic Complete"

Ragnor said:

Ah crap, just realised I'll have to buy it on PC someday too just to have No Rest for the Living on a PC. The idiots at Bethesda didnt include it in the PC version of "Doom Classic Complete"

There is no PC version of Doom Classic Complete...

It was released only on the PS store.

kristus said:

It's not like you needed to be that with the original version.

Well sometimes you ran out of plasma and you had to switch back to a chain gun, which sounded weird and you couldn't tell if you were hitting anything. So there's that.

hardcore_gamer said:

There is no PC version of Doom Classic Complete...

It was released only on the PS store.

Look again on Steam. They made a (lazy) collection of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels under the same name. Should have included NRFTL, but then they'd have needed more effort.

This is the best version of Doom 3, however, it should have been a free upgrade on the PC. Most of the new levels are also kinda meh (copy paste and more gray...yay) EXCEPT for the last two levels which are really good especially considering that they use no new resources although the new architecture would indicate otherwise which proves that Id knows how to use resources they have at their disposal.The action is also a lot more frantic. The framerate is rock-solid and the minor gameplay changes made a difference. This is the the first game I will try with the Oculus Rift.

Not the worst $20 I've spent. The Lost Levels are decent (especially the Hell levels) and No Rest for the Living are both pretty rad. I can see why some might be hesitant about getting it if they already own doom 3.

I spent $15 for it on Steam, it's pretty good.

$15 still felt a little bit steep for owning the old versions already, but it's not too bad.

Ragnor said:

Look again on Steam. They made a (lazy) collection of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels under the same name. Should have included NRFTL, but then they'd have needed more effort.

I don't think No Rest runs well on the original DOS executable, unless I'm wrong, I seem to remember trying it and it would get all screwed up at one point.

DooM_RO said:

This is the best version of Doom 3, however, it should have been a free upgrade on the PC. Most of the new levels are also kinda meh (copy paste and more gray...yay) EXCEPT for the last two levels which are really good especially considering that they use no new resources although the new architecture would indicate otherwise which proves that Id knows how to use resources they have at their disposal.The action is also a lot more frantic. The framerate is rock-solid and the minor gameplay changes made a difference. This is the the first game I will try with the Oculus Rift.

Original was fine as it is and Oculus Rift is just one of those gimmick periphals for people to blow money on.

Bucket said:

Well sometimes you ran out of plasma and you had to switch back to a chain gun, which sounded weird and you couldn't tell if you were hitting anything. So there's that.

Yeah, I didn't like the chaingun, I just went with the Machinegun instead.

Fuzzyfireball said:

I don't think No Rest runs well on the original DOS executable, unless I'm wrong, I seem to remember trying it and it would get all screwed up at one point.

Only a couple of the maps are vanilla compatible, the rest have VPOs in one or more locations and I think a couple also have Segs overflows.

Would making chocolate doom recognize and run No Rest for the Living properly (ie with map names and ending text ect)ruin the spirit of the source port? While I'm not a doom purist, I make it a point to finish all official doom content vanilla style (well, chocolate style but you know what I mean) at least once. Has fraggle said anything about it?

NRFTL requires raising the vanilla limits, which might be do-able for that WAD specifically, but it's a lot more work than fraggle's ever willing to do.

I don't know about source port compatibility but I think you can play it fine in Eternity; AFAIK it's just a limit-removing PWAD so pretty much anything that does that should work... including like PrBoom.

Mr. Chris said:

Never have, never will. Already have DOOM 3 and classic DOOM and DOOM II.

This about sums it up for me.

I bought Classic Doom for PSN. It was nice to see all the IWADS in one place. Then I tried to quick start a multiplayer game... no matches found. No one was online at 10PM on a weekday. Instant buyer's remorse.

Yea I got it, I already own all the games, but I would say 60% of my decision is because I like collecting DOOM related stuff!

The other reason was because there is no proper support for original DOOM 3 on widescreen. You can do it, but the hud is stretched which I cant stand, basically DOOM BFE has better support for new hardware. That was about another 30% reason for buying it.

The last 10% was because of the re-mastered levels and new content.

So far I am enjoying it, but when comparing it to the original (which I did MOD a lot to make it perfect, for me at least) I missing the original abit.

I have not completed it yet but I think they did make it too bright, the engine looks alot better when its darker.

Captain Red said:

Would making chocolate doom recognize and run No Rest for the Living properly (ie with map names and ending text ect)ruin the spirit of the source port?

Yes.

Look at the table here to see how some limits have been raised in Doom Classic. Fraggle has resisted all requests to increase limits based on arguments such as the existence of Doom+, and decided that he wouldn't raise them based on Doom Classic either.

chungy said:

I don't know about source port compatibility but I think you can play it fine in Eternity; AFAIK it's just a limit-removing PWAD so pretty much anything that does that should work... including like PrBoom.

There's a bunch of ports that have built-in support for NRFTL now (with proper soundtrack, map names, level progression, and intermission text). This includes at least EE and ZDoom; and I think Odamex does too.

Maybe this would have changed the spirit of the game too much, but I really wish BFG edition had improved Doom 3's abysmal gibbing (and death in general). I understand why that decision was made originally, to save on performance, but it's just so unsatisfying to blow up a zombie and just have it disintegrate into a skeleton and disappear. Now that computers are more powerful, I think it would have been a nice touch to improve that. Also, another very minor gripe, but I always hated how the monsters would simply ragdoll and then dissolve into fire after you killed them. I loved how all the monster deaths were creative and gory in the original game, and it just doesn't feel as satisfying to kill a mancubus if you know it's only going to fall over then disappear.

What was the point of the shoulder mounted flashlight if they already brightened the maps up, talk about over doing it, they basically over did it with the ammo and lighting so all the changes were to make the game far too easy for the modern fps crowd even further than Doom 3 was originally. :P

geekmarine said:

Maybe this would have changed the spirit of the game too much, but I really wish BFG edition had improved Doom 3's abysmal gibbing (and death in general). I understand why that decision was made originally, to save on performance, but it's just so unsatisfying to blow up a zombie and just have it disintegrate into a skeleton and disappear. Now that computers are more powerful, I think it would have been a nice touch to improve that.

I wouldn't find improving this spirit changing at all really.

Also, another very minor gripe, but I always hated how the monsters would simply ragdoll and then dissolve into fire after you killed them.

To me I feel it actually fits, the idea that demons were created through I guess hell magic and the fact demons weren't meant to be in reality or possibly they return to hell to be resurrected or recycled into revenants would back up the fact why they disintegrate.