Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr papercuts

editing utility preference

i've been playing doom since it arrived, and early on a created wads with waded 1.83. i still have it, but could anyone advise any more windows xp friendly, legacy doom friendly window-running map editors?

stoned said:

DETH is dos based, but it runs fine in Windows and it's free.

I don't think that it will run fine in WinXP.

boris said:

I don't think that it will run fine in WinXP.

I do. I have used it a lot on xp. No problems.

DETH actually runs in XP? kewlness :) It won't run in win2k (along with a few other DOS proggies I use) so I have a dual boot win2k/win98 system running.

I find it most unusual that Deep hasn't added an enormous post here yet, preaching about the wonders of his editor :-)

My opinion, go with Wadauthor!!

Lobo said:

I find it most unusual that Deep hasn't added an enormous post here yet, preaching about the wonders of his editor :-)

Just you wait... :-)

Regardless of OS, I'd say, if you can get WadEd to work, go with it all the way - it's the editor that once you're used to, you can't adapt easily to anything else.
Sure seems that way, too.

Never mind, my dedication to the editor has made me find a way I can (kinda) edit Hexen maps, although that requires another editor besides, for THING editing, and ZWADconv.exe. But anyway.

Am i the only person who still uses WinDEU? It's old, it's bugged to hell and crashes every half an hour, but hey, i've gotten 8 levels done so far in the space of a few months.
Then again, i can't afford to lay out 30-odd quid including p+p for Deepsea.

Spike said:

Am i the only person who still uses WinDEU?

Yes, most likely. ;)

Spike said:

It's old, it's bugged to hell and crashes every half an hour, but hey, i've gotten 8 levels done so far in the space of a few months.

That's why I don't use it. I just downloaded it today because i wanted a DEU-based Windows editor, but it crashed everytime I tried to open a level to edit. Maybe it's even more buggy on XP. :D

Spike said:

Then again, i can't afford to lay out 30-odd quid including p+p for Deepsea.

Me neither, that's why I use DETH. Still the best and most powerful free editor. Besides it's also free of bugs, yea! Only downside is it's DOS based, but it seems to work perfectly on Win xp so i'm quite happy with it.

I dunno what win DEU is up to version wise now (I suspect little has changed in recent years) but I found ver 5.24 to be more stable than 5.25. I'm not sure if there was anything after 5.25. I have a feeling I got something that was so unstable I didn't even keep a copy.

The problem with 5.24 is it doesn't support all the doom2 items (giving a fair indication of its age I suppose), but it was pretty stable as I recall.

For me, however, it's DeePsea all the way.

Well it doesn't look like Deep needs to post here,it's DeepSea for me too.

i appreciate the advice, but you know, a few reasons why each of you chose each editor would have helped. still, i went and checked them out by name, and i think i like wadauthor. i'm liking legacy a lot, and wadauthor seems to be the easiest editor to utilize the ability to make floors over floors, and view the sprites and flats i'm choosing as i use them.

i really like waded, and for old school doom levels i still haven't found anything better. the only problem i have with it is the lack of thumbnails or previews when selecting sprites.

anyway, you'll see how wadauthor worked for me in a week or two. thanks again.

I use DETH/ZETH. They are the best editors around. And apparently they actually work in WinXP, so thats all good. I used to use DEU, and since DETH is very similar, and up to date, I use that...

[edit]Oops, I didn't read the last post... I still think you should try DETH though...[/edit]