Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Ragnor said:

The TNT logo just popped out of existence for me as soon as I moved, wonder if it was a bug.

Not a bug.

That conflicts with what Kyka said though :/

On my first test of that map, on the updated demo, the logo faded away in a REALLY impressive manner. On this later version of 15 or so test versions, its just gone in a flash, like a light turned off. Its..ugly in comparison. I'll have to go through them both again and see anyway.

TheMionicDonut said:

Oh good, a bump. Has anything new happened anywhere?

Well, I'm glad you asked.

The green map is dead. Long live the brown map.

Soz double post.

Also, some modifications to the texture pack. (I wasn't going to add any more stuff, but I needed this stuff for the map 29 conversion, so I may as well point it out for the benefit of other mappers.)

Four new textures:

And two new flats:

Mionic, did you ever get around to looking at those 'turn back' textures I sent you? Just so as I can include them or not. I haven't forgotten about some wheels either. I was hoping to get new ones, but haven't found what I am after. I might try touch up the original ones.

Mappers and testers, new version of the texture pack coming soon.

Soz triple post.

Also, map 08 is now done. Awesome map by Tango, with me coming on board late and finishing things like detailing, texturing, item placement and pathing through the level.

Map 21 is under construction.

Map 02 is almost done.

And Joshy has playtested a bunch of the maps, sort of a 'guest' playtester I guess you would call it, and made some really useful suggestions.

Yeah, stuff is happening all over.

Though Mionic, soz I still haven't tested your map yet. Soon, for real. :)

Ragnor said:

That conflicts with what Kyka said though :/

On my first test of that map, on the updated demo, the logo faded away in a REALLY impressive manner. On this later version of 15 or so test versions, its just gone in a flash, like a light turned off. Its..ugly in comparison. I'll have to go through them both again and see anyway.

I could never get the logo to just vanish as you mentioned. But if it did just vanish, then that is definitely a bug. It is meant to slowly disappear though. And to the best of my knowledge, it does work pretty well as intended. What port were you using?

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

awww, the green version looked way more unique

I think the brown one looks more old school and cool. Maybe except for the first screen, not sure about the textures there. Also, if the God of Visplanes allows it, maybe you could add a couple of..."ceiling bars" in that first room? I think it would look cool.

You know what I'd like to suggest? Wormhole it. Make the brown and green versions exist in the same map and have some teleportation between the two.

But yeah, I cast my vote in the "Green looked better" pile. The brown is soulless in comparison. I do like the "why not both?" thoughts, though.

I think it'd be too big for that Xaser...although I do like the idea!

The brown is probably because of the map slot, the green really didnt match the setting, or the penultimate map feel. I did really like it though!

Kyka, I used ZDoom for the demo and GZDoom 1.7 for the second version you sent me (with pretty much all the filtering effects off, I hate what the blurring did to your textures back in the demo, like turn the barbed wire into a garbled mess. I just use it for the much better lighting with the new Software mode) Im aware it might be an issue only on my end, but at the time it did stand out. I'll have to look at it again a few times, if its fine I dont want you wasting time on it :p

More guest playtesters eh? Shows how far along the project is now!

Xaser said:

You know what I'd like to suggest? Wormhole it. Make the brown and green versions exist in the same map and have some teleportation between the two.

this. the original tnt had some fairly unique maps, make this in their style.

otherwise, the green stairs reminded me more of tnt, while brown walls and a blood pool seem more "plutonic". just my 2 cents.

Pirx said:

this. the original tnt had some fairly unique maps, make this in their style.

otherwise, the green stairs reminded me more of tnt, while brown walls and a blood pool seem more "plutonic". just my 2 cents.

How? It was Plutonia what was like green hell/jungle/natural landscape. Brown reminds me original Doom2 more but it's close enough to TNT.

Just had a look at that problem I was having with the logo, it works as intended in ZDoom on both versions of the map, but NOT on GZDoom 1.7 on either version. Wonder whats causing that? Its an incredible effect still btw :D

Ragnor said:

I could never get the logo to just vanish as you mentioned. But if it did just vanish, then that is definitely a bug. It is meant to slowly disappear though. And to the best of my knowledge, it does work pretty well as intended. What port were you using?

Just to make sure, are we discussing KykaMapsTNT2.wad map01 ? If so, I think I know what is going on. Using GZDoom, sector 398 ( and 434 ) instantly flood fill, since the ceiling of those sectors are the same height of sector 428. GLBoom+ and other software ports that support mouselook however, "pseudo" flood fill. If standing at the right spot and looking up, the player can still see part of the ceilings of sectors 434/398. So, not a map bug, just how the particular source port works.

Edit ... beaten to it ... I hope this simple explanation helps though.

Edit #2 ... If wanting gzdoom to render the same as other software ports, a "black" texture could be used as the uppers for lines 2703, 2613 etc. etc. I would also greatly increase the ceiling height of sector 430.

Haha, apparantly I'm Kyka's secret account now.

Thanks for that explanation. I guess I have to do all testing on software ports then.

And yes, it was the Map1 of both the demo and "KykaMapsTNT2(V3)"

Ragnor said:

I guess I have to do all testing on software ports then.

Not necessarily. I test in both software and hardware. You get to learn the idiosyncrasies of both. ;)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Well, I'm glad you asked.

be carefull with that brown, too much brown with too much grey only causes instant boredom :/

the color almost requires certain envoriment design in order to work, and to correct such issues could force a mapper to destroy his/her own map.
so the colors are sensitive as shit

GBT3 said:

How? It was Plutonia what was like green hell/jungle/natural landscape. Brown reminds me original Doom2 more but it's close enough to TNT.

Plutonia is mostly brown, with some green added in the form of vines and grass. But Plutonian buildings are all made of brown bricks and brown wood.

Ickwall concrete, tekgreen, and compgrn make it a lot more TNTish. While BRNGRN is kinda dwangoish I guess?

*Green Map changes discussion*

I asked Kyka to see how the map looked with a different theme, because the placement of the map broke the continuity of the last set of maps. The map was preceded by 9-10 "hell-tech" maps, and the placing of it in MAP29 really stood out awkwardly.

But seen as how not many people like the changes, we might be able to combine both versions (aka do essel's suggestion) and place it in MAP19, which was another option I suggested to Kyka. This would allow for the version of the map that everyone prefers to stay mostly the way it is, but on the other hand we would have a vacant MAP29.

If someone's willing to make a MAP29, and Kyka is alright with moving the map and combining both versions (which I can help with), then I think we can save the original version without breaking the continuity of the final ten maps.

Isn't that map a little big to not be a late game map?

If that is not the case and it does get moved back, I'd be willing to do a collab for map29 if it gets called for. Contact me if interested.

Or I could split map28 into two maps, though I would much prefer keeping it intact.

Additionally, what will become of the original map19 if greenmap does get moved back?

I liked the green better myself. As was stated by others, it was much more unique, as brown maps are very common in...well, basically every FPS that isn't Wolfenstein 3D. The green had character. And so what if it doesn't fit with the other maps of the episode? Lunar Mining Project didn't fit in with the other Hell maps of the original TNT either, but there it was. It makes it mysterious and strange, in a good way.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

So here's what I am thinking. I'll finish the brown version, and then I will send out both versions to whoever wants to see them. You guys will be able to make a much more informed decision if you actually look at the maps rather than a couple of screens.

I liked the green version, but the brown version has really grown on me too. My instincts tell me that a 'wormhole' style mixing of the brown and green into really distinct areas will come off looking disjointed, though I admit this may simply be my lack of vision.

essel's suggestion of blending the two throughout may work well.

Whoo, in regards to moving the map, I would rather keep it at map 29. Final decision is up to you, of course, but I am thinking this for two reasons. One, because it has to be the biggest map in the set, (at least of all the maps I have seen so far) and two, the ending of that map is really designed to lead into map 30. It would be kind of odd if something that is so obviously 'final' just leads straight into a another regular map.

But for now, I'll finish the brown version, and I'll let any interested parties check out both versions. If anyone is interested, post here or PM me. If neither of these versions prove to be satisfactory, then we will go for a 'blended' version.

hawkwind said:

Edit #2 ... If wanting gzdoom to render the same as other software ports, a "black" texture could be used as the uppers for lines 2703, 2613 etc. etc. I would also greatly increase the ceiling height of sector 430.

Noted. Thanks hawkwind. Good thinking.

Alright, we'll keep it in MAP29.

Send me the brown version when you get a chance so I can get a better idea of how the overall map looks. In the end we'll probably have to modify the MAP28 exit to make it look like the entrance to a tech base.

esselfortium said:

"Continuity" and "TNT" should basically never go in the same sentence as one another.

After looking back at some maps from TNT I feel for the most part the last ten maps stuck with the same general theme, which I can only describe as outdoor areas with a hellish vibe and an occasional tech-base thrown in. Some maps, like Habitat, stood out so I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a radically different map thrown in to "emulate" TNT's map progression.

map28 ends on a decent sized portal. I still havent got feedback on the new ending to the map D:

Ah, so thats you meant by feedback. Just incase that lengthy map 24 feedback never went through.

I haven't fully played 29's green version yet (staying at my sisters house for about 10 days), but I guess a hybrid could work. Maybe certain areas are more corrupted than others?

As long as it conveys a "this is the penultimate map" feel, I'll be happy with any visual outcome really.

I've been testing a whole lot of maps lately, I can say that much. I'm happy to report that they're becoming increasingly cleaner, with the last few only having the smallest of issues.

Over the last three weeks or so, I have finished off 3 maps. Two that I was working on with other people, (Map 02 with Darkreaver and Deathevocation and Map 08 with Tango) and the redone version of my formerly-green-now-brown map 29 is now also done.

Mionic, here is the 'TURNBACK' texture. It is based on the 'Romero' patch written in blood from the original tnt. See what you think.

And just because no reason, here are some screenies from Map 02, the map I have most recently been working on. Most of these areas are by Darkreaver and Deathevocation, with some reworking by me.