Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadnail

Super Fun Happy Virus!

Well if this isn't interesting. At this point I'm QUITE FUCKING ACCOSTOMED to my family running every random attachment they get in Outlook Express despite the fact I have them automatically deleted.

This most recent virus they've infiltrated my system with is a really cute one. You see, whenever I open an image now two processes show up on my Task Manager.

winkxx.exe
xx##.exe

The latest combination was:

winkmby.exe
oz168.exe

The ones with the numbers aren't too horrifying, they just sit there, probably violating anything that could be remotely identified as 'security'.

The other ones manage to randomly close the Task Manager and devour around 80% of my CPU at all times.

I can't find the ones with the numbers but the winXX.exe ones keep showing up in my System32 directory. They always have different names too so shutting the down and deleting them isn't doing me any damn good.

Naturally a search for them doesn't turn anything up. I can find the winxx.exe ones in my registry but no matter how many times I completely delete their presence they keep coming back, and each time with the new name no less.

Of course it takes a damn long time to open an image, one of my first clues. The very first one was when I just quit Edge and sent a screenshot to Flathead and realized, hmm, it's taking seven times as long to look at this fucking png than it takes to fire up Edge. Edge is no speed queen either so naturally something was wrong.

I would run a virus scan but they managed to delete my Norton Executable... and I have a strong suspicion they're tinkering with my Task Manager exe as well.

A search for winkup only turns up Japanese pages, and it was probably just one of the random names.

My favorite one so far is winklr.exe... the Henry Winkler virus, aptly named as it COVERS MY COMPUTAR IN BEES.

Have any of you run into this son of a bitch before? I'm sure Fod at least can get me some information. Of course this has to happen while I'm looking at a house, getting ready for overtime tonight and I HAVE A GODDAMNED DENTIST APPOINTMENT AT 1PM, AN HOUR AFTER MY FUCKING BEDTIME. Stupid doctors keeping me up all hours of the day.

I really don't have a lot of time to deal with my WinXP going sour FOR THE SECOND TIME... and both times were because of asshole virii, and both were spread on my system by my insanely dangerous family.

This is just what I needed. Well if this DOES come down to me spending a day reinstalling XP and all my shit FUCK THAT, I've got Smirnoff Ice, Sky Blue and three roaches, fuck it, it can wait.

Have any of you run into this son of a bitch before? I'm sure Fod at least can get me some information.

Sorry to hear of your virus troubles deadnail. I know how you feel. I got bit about six months ago. Not by this virus mind you, I think mine was nimda which I got from all places, Microsoft's website :/

This virus automatically disables Norton right out. Cute.

So Symantec says get their little doodad, turn off System Restore (I only have 23 gigs, dat bitch ain't allowed to run anyway), boot into Safe Mode and let it run it's course.

Wow. WinXP has a Safe Mode. =P

Here's a note if you get raped like me. The Symantec removal tool does wonders, however, if you have incompleted downloads in Grokster (or something similar I assume) it tends to crash. That sucks... 'cuz I have over 50,000 files on this here PC and restarting the hunt is a fucking WHORE.

The file "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" is infected by W32.Klez.gen@mm. The file is repaired.

PHEW!

The file "C:\Program Files\RealOne Player\realplay.exe" is infected by W32.Klez.gen@mm. The file is repaired.

DAMMIT!

Worst i've had lately is a worm virus i picked up while browsing Kaazaa for div3 codecs.
I guess i'm lucky...

Super Fun Happy Virus!

Which one of these words don't belong?

Sorry to hear about your compy. I damn near released a virus onto the school network today. Thank god for Norton Antivirus.

FlatHead said:

Well praise yourself lucky people, at least you weren't chatting to deadnail when he found out about this virus. *shudder*

Is there a chat log? I wanna see.

FlatHead said:

Well praise yourself lucky people, at least you weren't chatting to deadnail when he found out about this virus. *shudder*

What the hell are you bitching for, you only replied to my barrage of incoherent profanity about once per quarter hour. Quit acting so put out you fucking queen.

Ah, it's Klez.
It's a mailworm that also carries a virus. Pretty cool.

deadnail: Don't use Outlook Express. Don't use Outlook Express. Don't use Outlook Express. Don't use Outlook Express. There're so many good email clients out there, why use Outlook Express? I find it rather gay as it is (even the interface), that's just my own opinion though, but security-wise it's the most exploitable/exploited program ever. Don't use it.

Well at least your situation was recoverable. Your files were able to be repaired. Nimda destroys files much of the time (Norton can't repair them) which forced me to format and re-install. I wish I had Norton AV installed when I first caught it, the damage could have been greatly limited. As it was I had hundreds of files in my Windows/system folder (and all over my drive for that matter) that were completely fuxored :(

deadnail said:

What the hell are you bitching for, you only replied to my barrage of incoherent profanity about once per quarter hour. Quit acting so put out you fucking queen.

Well I was having one of those fits of creativity today, and in the midst of my trying to code proper multitexturing into my 3D engine you popped up. Maybe I should've just shut down AIM, but hey - I just love you too damn much.

deadnail said:

If you ever had your damn ass on AIM when I'm on we could bitch it out togther.

Why do I get the feeling you and me could bitch for the world? I moan so much Mother Teresa would have hung herslef.

In fact, teh only people who moan more than me are Jonathan Ross, Jeremy Clarkson, my girlfriend, and every American citizen.

Ah..

orion said:

howcome I don't get any viruses?

You too? In the 4 or so years I have been on the internet I have never received a virus. But my time will come.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

You too? In the 4 or so years I have been on the internet I have never received a virus. But my time will come.

I think the current odds are about 1 in 10 chance per year per user.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Fah....not me ;)

Lüt said:

BWAHAHAHHAHAahHA!

McAfee.

Quit trying to give me another virus. I don't need that useless piece of shit.

orion said:

howcome I don't get any viruses?

You will probably get the HIV virus from sharing needles :P

Every now and then I wake up my comp to discover Norton has found naughty .eml (.elm?) files scattered around my secondary hard drive (drive F:, usually). So why the hell do I have mail files crawling all over?

hope you get rid of that bug deadnail, heh I'd lose it if someone used my computer and infected it.

Date: 12 May 2002 08:57:56 +0100
To: fraggle@alkali.org

Subject: A new website
Parts/Attachments:
1 Shown ~8 lines Text
2 OK ~18 lines Text
----------------------------------------

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed. Please
read the "Virus Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

This is a new website
I hope you would enjoy it.

[ Part 2, Text/PLAIN (Name: "VirusWarning.txt") 18 lines. ]
[ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

deadnail said:

This virus automatically disables Norton right out. Cute.

Wow. WinXP has a Safe Mode. =P

PHEW!

DAMMIT!

Check up on the fact that XP will have included the virus when it backed up, theres a routine you need to follow to remove it from the backup files

fodders said:

Check up on the fact that XP will have included the virus when it backed up, theres a routine you need to follow to remove it from the backup files

Only if you have System restore enabled, and I don't have enough disk space to keep copies of my system folder around dammit. =P

Thanks for telling me this, but that IS mentioned on the Symantec page in the link I did on the second post.

bigbadgangsta said:

You will probably get the HIV virus from sharing needles :P

I don't fuck with needles, I only snort pills and smoke weed.

deadnail said:

that IS mentioned on the Symantec page in the link I did on the second post.

Yeh, right, like I am gonna click on a link from you :) last one I clicked ended up with a pic of some stoopid gear wheels :)

One doing the rounds that I keep getting, isn't what I define as a virus, just a nuisance, look for openme on your computer, if you find it, after deleting, you need to edit system.ini > boot and remove "shell=Explorer.exe openme.exe"