Oh? Entirely unexpected!
This might make me come back to Doom.
If it doesn't, I don't know what will.

ellmo said:

D2TWID? :P

*crucified horribly*

Urban Space Cowboy said:

So instead of being cutesy and evasive, maybe you could give a fictionalized/generalized example that won't necessitate leg-breaking?

If you surpass the lump limit, Watcom shits the bed and writes into lower memory.... where your hard drive plays. This is bad. I posted a custom EXE to fix this. You should probably download it and use it.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1130257

ellmo said:

Oh? Entirely unexpected!
This might make me come back to Doom.

One of usssssss

Csonicgo said:

If you surpass the lump limit, Watcom shits the bed and writes into lower memory.... where your hard drive plays. This is bad. I posted a custom EXE to fix this. You should probably download it and use it.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, it's nice to see the mountains of Esseltextures get used in a proper project. That it's such a keen one is even better. :)

@LigH

Hey man, thanks for pointing out the revision in Risen3D 2.20-18 that supports BSTX and the Mordeth Bridge effect. I installed the update and it's badass! The bridge looks perfect, even the sky slits are gone, the railings are visible, and the weird texture misalignment has vanished. Sector 65 still shows a small bit of sky through the ceiling, but it's vastly reduced. There's even new effects I didn't see before, like chaingunner bullets raising splashes in the water. And on top of that, the annoying problem in 2.2.17 that forced you to be pixel-perfect to pick up weapons has been eradicated. Thank God! That flaw made levels much more difficult. ;D

Abbs and crew have kicked butt again. I love Risen3D because it's way faster on my machine than any other port, only GLboom-plus even comes close. Once I clear some playtesting I'll get back to BSTX. Just wandering around Map01 in God Mode reminded me of what an architectural masterpiece it is. And of course, that made me want to kill stuff . . .

SteveD said:

Sector 65 still shows a small bit of sky through the ceiling, but it's vastly reduced.

That was actually fixed before release of v18. It's actually sector 37. Obviously broke recently. I will report this to GJ. Thanks for mentioning.

hawkwind said:

That was actually fixed before release of v18. It's actually sector 37. Obviously broke recently. I will report this to GJ. Thanks for mentioning.

Yep, you're right. I guess that before, it was Sector 65 and Sector 37, because it was a much bigger amount of sky. I'm just glad to see Risen3D steadily improving.

Map21:
- thing 633 is in the void space inside a pillar
- sector 384 has come loose, send someone with a mallet to knock it back in.

You know you missed a secret when you can reach the exit without the third key, especially in MAP15...

Level 17 (v0.99f) crashes vanilla:

I'm playing on Windows 98, in case the level actually loads in DOSBox or something.

CSonicGo ran into this issue, I believe. Windows is refusing to give the game as much memory as it needs to load the map. He said it ran without problems in actual DOS.

Why MAP17, though? There's much larger levels in the wad, and I don't know what'd trigger such a failure aside from filesize. Unless it's just a random fluke caused by that exact map data -- does it happen in any previous/future revision?

Seems to be just a Win98 issue. Loads fine with WinXP SP3 using this batch file ...

doom2.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file btsx_e1.wad -deh btsx_e1.deh -warp 17

Using -nomonsters was also fine.

Meanwhile, while DOSBox can load the map, it prints the same four lines to the status window over and over again:

Something in the level is causing an illegal memory read, but I have no idea what it is. And neither, I suspect, does anyone else.

esselfortium said:

CSonicGo ran into this issue, I believe. Windows is refusing to give the game as much memory as it needs to load the map. He said it ran without problems in actual DOS.

What's going on, and this is my wild guess, is that some internal limit is being hit that causes an invalid page fault - but it isn't a fatal one in DOS, because of sheer luck. Windows, however, is not tolerant of this behavior (as it was never legal behavior anyway) and throws an exception.

It cannot be any of the usual suspects, as it crashes my custom exe as well. This is something else we haven't discovered yet.

EDIT: it loads if you use the -nomonsters flag in windows. I know that isn't a workaround, but it helps narrow down what might be going on here.

Myk: what I need from you: your doom2.exe that you used to play this, and whatever tools you had loaded with it. If someone has to take the EXE apart and find the error, I think we can do that.

Csonicgo said:

Myk: what I need from you: your doom2.exe that you used to play this, and whatever tools you had loaded with it. If someone has to take the EXE apart and find the error, I think we can do that.

I just need to know what version of doom2.exe that is, and the actual file itself unless that version is readily available for download somewhere.

It is most assuredly NOT the same as the doom2.exe from the Depths of Doom Trilogy disk. 00035795 is not a valid instruction in that executable.

As it turns out, it's caused by a very obscure bug — one that, hilariously enough, involves the player's starting position. If the player starts on a vertex on a two-sided line, and the sectors on either side can each be rendered as different visplanes (e.g. different heights, or, in this case, different light levels), then Doom performs an illegal memory read that DOS tolerates, but Windows 9x won't. It can be fixed by moving the player or removing the vertex (because there is no reason for it to be there). One of these will be done for the next version.

TGH: I think it's not only about standing on a vertex but also about touching a vertex with your "bounding box". Karthik had a similar problem on map03 from this wad. (notice how in the end he made player start 1 a little asymmetrical to player start 4.)

MarkAnthony89 said:

Can someone tell me if this masterpiece is gonna be a full (32-map) megawad?

No.

It's gonna be three 20+ megawads.

I suppose nothing would prevent you from gluing them together into a single 70+ level megawad for ZDoom and other MAPINFO-able source ports, but that's not going to happen "officially" because of the vanilla focus.

I'd like to report 2 possible bugs I encountered while playing through 0.99f using the most recent svn versions of GZDoom. I played on skill 3 with GZDoom's compatibility mode set to Doom(strict).

In map01 I could only get 70/95 kills. I got 100% items and secrets.

In map06 I could only get 239/240 kills. I got 100% items and secrets.

If it'd be of any use, I can upload the saves I made just prior to exiting these levels.

The Green Herring said:

As it turns out, it's caused by a very obscure bug — one that, hilariously enough, involves the player's starting position. If the player starts on a vertex on a two-sided line, and the sectors on either side can each be rendered as different visplanes (e.g. different heights, or, in this case, different light levels), then Doom performs an illegal memory read that DOS tolerates, but Windows 9x won't. It can be fixed by moving the player or removing the vertex (because there is no reason for it to be there). One of these will be done for the next version.

All I can figure out is that vanilla DOOM must install a handler that causes integer division by zero exceptions to be effectively ignored. Unfortunately it apparently leaves the value in edx:eax undefined after the idiv instruction, which then leads to out-of-bounds indexes into tantoangle and/or finesine. What happens from there's anybody's guess. You say visplanes seem to influence it; I cannot rule out or confirm that myself :)

BTW this was independently fixed by Jim Flynn in BOOM 2.02 and Lee Killough in MBF, in slightly different ways, so that R_PointToDist returns 0 if you are on the seg's v1 vertex instead of dividing by zero. BOOM once again proves 0/0 == 0 apparently :P

Gez said:

No.

It's gonna be three 20+ megawads.

Is there a "Cacoward for lifework"?

I finally found some time to play this beauty and I am recording my "first attempt" playthroughs. Finished 3 levels so far (level 3 was a bitch and took 4 attempts) and I must say I'm loving this so much.

It's like I'm playing Darkening Ep 2 for the first time again.

Trying to achieve the optimal 720p quality

Two remaining videos are being uploaded now.

In time for the DW Megawad Club's playthrough of E1 this month, here's a long-overdue update to BTSX episode 1!

It includes:

- Entirely new MAP19: Bingo Pool Hall of Blood, a small, chaotic sandbox level. (Later maps were shifted forwards a slot, so U.S. Mustard Company is now MAP20, etc.)

- Updates and enhancements to various maps

- New graphics, including subtle SKY2 and SKY3 variants and a new menu screen

- Too many bug fixes to count (and hopefully not too many new ones)

DOWNLOAF 99i8 99i9: http://essel.spork-chan.net/wasd/btsx_e1_99i9.zip

edit: hotfixed to 99i9 to fix a couple of minor bugs that slipped through at the last minute