Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

WIP ( Shroud of Deceit ) A Hexen wad VERSION 1.0 RELEASED!!!

what do you think of this project?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of this project?

• I like it
    • its ok
    • I dont like it

Hello everyone I just recently started getting into Hexen and i really do love the game. I have decided to take a stab at making a Hexen wad, dare I say megawad as well.. But anyways since there seems to be a lack of hexen love i'm going to attempt to give hexen some love by making a wad for it. This wad will combine the fast paced action of doom and heretic with the rpg elements and puzzles of hexen.
=======================>>

VERSION 1.0 RELEASE LINK http://www.mediafire.com/?j464vf1orcy65bn

PLEASE NOTE THIS WAD REQUIRES THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF ZDOOM TO RUN!!

ALSO THE NECROMANCER CLASS SUMMONS MINIONS WITH HIS ALTFIRE ON ALL WEAPONS AT THE COST OF LIFE
========================================================================

Things to expect
==================>>
-New and harder hexen enemies
-storyline driven maps with voice acting and cutscenes
-fast paced action like doom and heretic
-new weapons for each class plus a few storyline weapons available to every class.
-new items and powerups
-lots of boss and miniboss fights
=============================>>

LEVELING SYSTEM
===============================================

Every Level you will get 1 talent point and get additional max health and max mana based on your class.
Fighters will obviously get the most health per level but will also get the least amount of mana. The mage will be the opposite of the warrior and get the least amount of health but most mana, the cleric will be the happy medium between the 2.

The talent system will be relatively simple. There will be 3 talent trees that you can sink talent points into, and for each point you sink into a tree you will get a bonus. Not all bonuses will effect your current class, however you will want to sink points into the tree to get the desired tier bonuses that you want.

A example talent tree bonus would be that all warrior melee weapons get +25% range. Another example would be Whenever the cleric swings his mace, there will be a 10% chance that all cleric weapons other than his mace will do 35% more damage for 10 seconds.
==========================================================================================

Now for the screenshots.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/hexen/Screenshot_Hexen_20130129_024350_zps952db8f0.png

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/hexen/Screenshot_Hexen_20130129_023643_zpsd68c6a82.png

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/hexen/Screenshot_Hexen_20130129_023553_zps910048e0.png

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/hexen/Screenshot_Hexen_20130129_023239_zps7b8ae500.png

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/hexen/Screenshot_Hexen_20130129_022756_zpsd0f55188.png

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/hexen/Screenshot_Hexen_20130129_022726_zps41faca19.png

So far I got 1 1/2 maps done, once i got 3 maps done ill release an alpha test.

map list

map01 Honoran Manor------100%
map02 Honoran Dungeon------100%
map03 Zealot Highlands------100%

Leveling system
===============
25% done

If anyone would like to contribute at all in any way shape or form then please pm me.

Please watch the last video and read the information in it to understand how the stat system works as well as the necromancer class.

I'm holding my judgement until I've seen more of it. But it looks promising indeed. Great to see more Hexen wads. Just please don't mess it up with random decorate stuff like so many people seem to do when they make stuff for Hexen.

A slight update, Map03 is now done and there will be an leveling system put into this wad.

Every Level you will get 1 talent point and get additional max health and max mana based on your class.
Fighters will obviously get the most health per level but will also get the least amount of mana. The mage will be the opposite of the warrior and get the least amount of health but most mana, the cleric will be the happy medium between the 2.

The talent system will be relatively simple. There will be 3 talent trees that you can sink talent points into, and for each point you sink into a tree you will get a bonus. Not all bonuses will effect your current class, however you will want to sink points into the tree to get the desired tier bonuses that you want.

A example talent tree bonus would be that all warrior melee weapons get +25% range. Another example would be Whenever the cleric swings his mace, there will be a 10% chance that all cleric weapons other than his mace will do 35% more damage for 10 seconds.

I think that in 1 week everything will be perfect enough to bring out a demo of this project so that everyone will get a chance to play it.

here is a new screenshot

Spoiler

VERSION 1.0 HAS BEEN RELEASED!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?j464vf1orcy65bn

Also added new videos in the OP as well as credits.
The titlemap has all the credits in it and make sure if you see something you made in this project and your name isnt in the credits to let me know and I will put your name in the titlemap in the next release.

Please give me feedback, Thanks in advance and hope you enjoy!

Me and Khorus will stream us playing this in Cooperative in 1.5 hours from making this post. That's 14:00 CEST (Central European Standard Time).

Stream died on me after about 40 minutes. So the end is missing, but it wasn't too exciting from there on anyway. Though we did keep a discussion on the project afterwards.

Here's a link to the video anyway in case anyone is interested.
http://www.twitch.tv/kristus_gaming/b/417265279

We weren't too impressed though. Some things we quite liked, but a lot of things felt just mediocre, reduntant and/or lazy. In particular the new Necromancer class and the changes to the established monsters.

I watched the whole video you streamed, and I felt bad that you werent informed on what some things did and what the necromancer could do.

The necromancer class has a secondary fire for each weapon that summons a monster that fights for you for a short period of time at the cost of life. The Staff weapon actually summons skeletons at the cost of 5 health.

In watching your video I realized there were some things that werent coop friendly, mainly on map02 with the dungeon trap. Next version I will fix that so players on the outside can open the bars so they can go inside. Also on map01 I actually forgot to add items to the secret areas, Sorry about that.

That stream was immensely helpful to me in deciding what I need to fix and balance.

I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy playing, but then again thats why I released this public test so I could see what needs fixing and balancing.

I hope that if you knew beforehand that the necromancer could summon minions that you would of had more fun playing him. I shall release a video shortly on how to play the necromancer, as well as how to use the leveling system.

Added a necromancer + stat system video in the OP Please Watch the video and read its information if you decide to player the necromancer class or use the stat system.

Ok. We might take a look at it again when you make a new release. Though you should consider explaining to the player in game what changes there have been.

kristus said:

Ok. We might take a look at it again when you make a new release. Though you should consider explaining to the player in game what changes there have been.

Ill have a new release in a few days, and I will give out a text document telling the players what to expect and the changes made as well as new items. Ill also fix many problems and make things more coop friendly.

its zdoom only?
thats kinda weird i dont see why you wouldnt want to make it in zandronum?
edit: zdoom files dont show up on the zdeamon launcher when you want to start a game
edit2: got zdoom and then played it on there
its a fine game so far and i lost on the first level which is a good sign i guess

Its not that I dont want it in zandronum, its just that idk if zandronum is up to date with the more recent decorate functions that I use in this wad.

I dont know too much about online doom/hexen/heretic but apparently it is compatible with some online port or w/e so next version ill make it totally coop friendly.

Also I added a help menu ingame so people can now understand whats going on.

I was gonna release another update that balances things out but then I started working on map04, so i'm going to delay the second alpha release date for a few more days. This release will include another map which continues after map03 and lots of balance changes.
I added a starter village in map01 which all classes start out in. Each class will have their own starting spot, like for example the cleric starts in the town chapel and the mage starts in the town magetower. The town will have npcs you can talk to and it will act as the hub. Once you beat the first 3 maps you will teleport back to the town and the swamps will become unlocked which will be where the next set of maps will take place.

The necromancer has a short tutorial at his starting area so people can understand how to play him.
All classes have a passive ability now which are as followed.
-mage regenerates 1 blue mana every 10 seconds
-fighter recovers 1 health every 10 seconds
-cleric does +40% damage with his next weapon attack, 20 second cooldown
-necromancer gains 4 health every time he slays an enemy , necrominion kills dont count towards this passive.

I will be making a seperate wad release that will be compatible with zandronum

Here is a screenshot of map04