Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Playing NDCP2 for the first time, I'm on MAP22 I think. I'm using PrBoom+, sometimes switching to ZDoom to check if some of the things that don't work would work - they still don't :-P A buggy release it is indeed!

Until this playthrough I thought it was cool not to include SSG in maps from time to time, but here, in this release, I think the authors put it into extreme.

MAP18 is a nice, grey base, the kind of design I'm usually fond of. Shotgun and chaingun, all the time, and big piles of hell knights and barons. Doom_Dude, you must be enjoying all this stuff, but I don't. You put an SSG near the end (!), in a secret (!!), no signs of weapons no.5,6 and 7. This sucks.

MAP20 by PumpkinSmasher is much better, I even think one of the best so far. On my first try, however, I didn't find the secret berserk, nor the not-so-secret plasma (hidden in a similar way as the BFG in Circle of Death) and I was REALLY low on ammo with a shotgun and a chaingun. I think seven monsters are unreachable if anyone tries to Max it, but, as I said, I enjoyed the map.

Already finished A.L.T. and it was impressive to me! I've been playing through Zones of Fear and so far I've reached map29, good mapset with some poor but also many awesome maps, last maps I played was Pipicz's, in the same style of Doom 2 map29 and Alien vendetta map26, well I really don't like much that style but it was fun anyway. For me worst maps in that style are the ones in Hell revealed 1, 2 and kama sutra. Hadephobia is gonna be my next playthrough, can't wait for it! :)

Played Absolute Order. Nice and brutal Strife mapset, though I'd like to see an addon with a good story to match (realizing that's a tall order).

Also played The Eye, which was a pretty fun single map that looked quite nice. The diorama-style ring battles was a nice twist with the layout and the inner area was a nice way to end the level.

Finished Beyond Reality. It's beyond hyped, but some of the levels are pretty cool (like the Water Temple and the first two OG Doom homages). None of the enemy replacements were all that wild except for the uber-revenant, which I really liked.

Just finished Map30 (2552 monsters!) of Zones of fear, damned it's HUUUUUGE! :O
Every map final map should only focus more on the final boss IMO. Now Hadephobia (Progressive Fiction) awaits me! :P

kmxexii said:

Played Absolute Order. Nice and brutal Strife mapset, though I'd like to see an addon with a good story to match (realizing that's a tall order).

Strife: A Tall Order

Sequel time!

kmxexii said:

Thanks for the review on your site, it's much appreciated. :) I would have loved to have put effort in to the story, but I'm going to need to work with some people on that to get it all in there. For the next project maybe. :)

Ragnor said:

Strife: A Tall Order

Sequel time!

Whee! I would like to do a Speedy Strife some time, and I just might have enough time for it end of the month. We'll see.

Khorus said:

Thanks for the review on your site, it's much appreciated. :) I would have loved to have put effort in to the story, but I'm going to need to work with some people on that to get it all in there. For the next project maybe. :)

You're welcome, and thanks for the awesome Strife WAD!

Well, when I feel like playing some Doom I always go a little bit further in my playthrough of Epic 2.

I also play some select maps from Alien Vendetta now and then.

I feel like posting something. Is it because of FDC or something else?..

MarkAnthony89 said:

Just finished Map30 (2552 monsters!) of Zones of fear, damned it's HUUUUUGE! :O

I gave up on that abomination. The Icon of Sin area is ridiculously difficult for savegame-free playthrough - and that's my way of doing things - and should've been made into separate level (and even then I would've skipped it easily since I just hate all this stuff). And the whole thing before this area is just oversized behemoth with average design and rather boring (yeah, it is, even with THAT monster count) gameplay focused primarily on rocket- and bfg-spam, with souls' maze being the worst part.

MarkAnthony89 said:

Every map final map should only focus more on the final boss IMO.

Correct. Same goes to cchest4 map 30, though icon battle itself is ordinary there, I was tired of it anyway.

I actually play plenty of WADs simultaneously, right now primary focus is on Combat Shock and its map 04. 4143 monsters, dammit... I'll die from oldness. This shit IS bananas indeed, txt doesn't lie.

BaronOfStuff said:

Revisiting Revolution! and The Rebirth after five or so years.

Two of the best one-man megawads in the past, for sure! But sometimes I felt they both have something in common.

I revisited both last year too! Revolution is more like "a walk in the park", few monsters, easy gameplay but sweet level design and some realistic and beautiful sceneries. The Rebirth is harder and more action-packed, good level design, some deadly traps and scarce ammo (I always play from pistol start and UV).

Played Winter's Fury. I don't mind the weapon changes - the push on the shotguns is awesome in spite of the SSG not being as dependable - and the normal levels and scripting are gorgeous. The boss fights, though, overstay their welcome by leaps and bounds, especially the enormous gauntlet at the very end. I feel like you could cut the health of virtually every encounter in half and end up with something that's interesting to play rather than the height of tedium. Plus I was pretty much down to my last few bullets when I finished the final final final boss, and there's A LOT of ammo lying around. I think the flying Cyberdemon was okay, though.

Played Hadephobia and got tired at map 19, good megawad with good level design and consistency but that's all and this "all" is not enough for me so I got tired and gave up! After that wasted time I completed Congestion 1024, Now playing Claustrophobia 1024, I'm at map 32. Congestion was good but this one is GREAT, so much detail! So much action! So much fun! Highly recommended! (:P)

Note: playing Winter's fury at HMP vs UV cuts boss health roughly in half. Highly suggested for boss fights.

kmxexii said:

Note: playing Winter's fury at HMP vs UV cuts boss health roughly in half. Highly suggested for boss fights.

Off topic, but I just realised you never reviewed AV. Do you plan to?

darkreaver said:

Off topic, but I just realised you never reviewed AV. Do you plan to?

Eventually. My current scheme involves playing through the Top 100 WADs of all time in yearly order.

MarkAnthony89 said:

Played Hadephobia and got tired at map 19, good megawad with good level design and consistency but that's all and this "all" is not enough for me so I got tired and gave up!

Thanks for playing. I'm in the last phase of playtesting and bugfixing Hadephobia so if there's any bugs or suggestions you found along the way please feel free to PM me.

I just beat most of Alien Vendetta on Ultra Violence. Unfortunately it was a consecutive playthrough, not pistol starts. I won't be playing map 30 as I don't play IoS maps, no matter how pretty.

I have beat some of the hardest maps on Speed of Doom on UV from pistol starts. Ammo balance is horrid on some of these maps so I am learning to Tyson.

I'm planning on going back to HR and HR2 *AGAIN* to finally beat them from pistol starts... but I will probably ignore The Path and The Path 2 as I have always hated them.

This year I'm planning to play through all of the PC Master Levels and the entirety of PC Final Doom. All on UV. *Bites nails*

The Darkening E1: Set of nice and short Doom II / Quake inspired maps. Not as interesting as Requiem to me but there ya go.

The Darkening E2: Loved the new textures and most of the levels. A few had ammo / weapon issues but the Quake II style was a nice change from the usual range of browns. Loved all the SFX and exploratory bits of gameplay.

Aliens vs Predator (2000 Classic)

With the mod to update texture, models etc.

Its still very scary, lots of tension, fast!!! and a perfect example of an extremely good game

In comparison its pretty pathetic how sloooowwww modern games are. *yarn*

I love the old classics :)

Recently I've been playing Garrys Mod (which is incredibly bad compared to when I last played it early last year), Sleeping Dogs, and finally a lot of my own shitty Doom maps that I found on an old external from when DB2 first came out.

Batman Doom didn't look great as far as textures go but the Dehacked work and sprites were phenomenal. It almost ran perfectly in ZDoom, too. The Joker's death trigger was the only thing broken (apart from a pair of hazard cones that tried to molest me in Blackgate).

I built up Tei Tenga too much in my brain. As a relic of early ZDoom modding, the text takes too long to cycle, which is the only "story" issue I have. It's pretty unassuming difficulty-wise, the main exception being the secret dig site, which had normal revenants, stealth revenants, and completely invisible revenants. Granted, it's a secret, but it blowwwwwwws. The Polar Hydro was pretty cool, though, and the floating platforms in the finale were nice.

Been chewing my way through the doomworld mega project. Some fun maps in there, lots of variety and entertainment value. Also a few dodgy ones but you don't feel bad about skipping them when its just a collection of random maps.