Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Phobos: the moon of fear

I'm sure others have noticed this, too, but I just noticed it now. Phobia means fear (such as found in the word homophobic: fear of the same). So you could, in theory, start an e1 classic style doom wad where you have to return to Phobos and call it "HomoPhobos" (same fear) because you have to face the same old familiar fear.

I assume you also just made the connection between the film Arachnophobia and why it was named as such?

Otherwise, E1 style maps are always cool. But using fear in the name, perhaps a more horror themed set, perhaps more than jump scares, or create an entire map set filled to the brim with predictable and unpredictable monster closets and fast elevators in the ground. I always did like the idea of a more 'scare' themed set though.

More so than the idea of Doomguy fearing a return to the fabled Moon of Origins, the word "homophobos" suggests instead to me the very prevalent fear of suffering yet another episode one replacement.

Phobos and Deimos were named after characters from Greek Mythology.

Both were the sons of Ares (Mars) but both have similar connotations, if that's the right word

As you said, Phobos refers to fear/panic.
Deimos refers to dread/terror.

Sauce

Hellbent said:

I'm sure others have noticed this, too, but I just noticed it now. Phobia means fear (such as found in the word homophobic: fear of the same). So you could, in theory, start an e1 classic style doom wad where you have to return to Phobos and call it "HomoPhobos" (same fear) because you have to face the same old familiar fear.

In current usage, homophobia isn't fear of stuff that is the same, but loathing of homosexuality.

"HomoPhobos" sounds like it would either be about Doomguy's confronting his prejudices and hangups wrt. alternative sexuality; or alternatively the name of the Phobos station gay bar.

Gez said:

In current usage, homophobia isn't fear of stuff that is the same, but loathing of homosexuality.

"HomoPhobos" sounds like it would either be about Doomguy's confronting his prejudices and hangups wrt. alternative sexuality; or alternatively the name of the Phobos station gay bar.

Right, but the root homo means the same (homogenized milk is about getting the milk to be the same so that it isn't part milk and part cream). The sameness in homophobia refers to the fact that homosexuality is same sex (not opposite sex which would be heterophobia [to fear or hate those who are heterosexual]), so homophobia is about fearing the same stuff, specifically fearing two people of the same sex being together.

Gez said:

Sounds more like Mars' only gay club. I prefer Ceres Crossroads.

Gez said:

Sounds like the CybieDreams mods almost.

st.alfonzo said:

the word "homophobos" suggests instead to me the very prevalent fear of suffering yet another episode one replacement.

If I ever do an E1 replacement I might just call it that.