Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stoned

about Doom64...

Is the N64's Doom just conversion from the pc version or does it have completely new stuff? I know the sprites are new, but how about the rest, levels for example, are they completely different from the pc version?
Any screenshots available anywhere?
I'm really interested because i have never seen Doom64 and most people think it's really cool. What do you think?

How about the Doom64 total conversion, I remember reading something about it, is it going to happen?

Everything's completely new in Doom 64. A TC is being done by me and a few other people. I almost have all of the enemy sprites done, and can't say any more. The project is top secret for now. :P

To take a peek at the enemy sprites, I have some animated gifs of them on my site in my sig. Also, I ripped the music, which is also on the site. The music is freaky ambient music. Definitely worth the download. Check it out.

The music is freaky ambient music. Definitely worth the download.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Joke of the month.
It's only worth downloading if you like "sleeping pill" music like that - it's a bunch o' ambient sounds mixed together - kinda like Quake 1's lame soundtrack except that the sounds used here are better.
I spent ages downloading a few of these tracks and I only listened to like 1 minute of each (with the exception of the first music track - listened to half of it, 6 minutes or so, hoping that it would eventually turn into something that sounded remotely like my idea of music - it didn't) - there ought to be a law against making +6 minute long music tracks which basically just loop the first 30 secs of it over and over again, or simply sounds the same all the fucking way through.

elbryan42 said:

Everything's completely new in Doom 64. A TC is being done by me and a few other people. I almost have all of the enemy sprites done, and can't say any more. The project is top secret for now. :P

Cool, are you planning to make the TC just like Doom64?
Do you need any help?

elbryan42 said:

A TC is being done by me and a few other people. I almost have all of the enemy sprites done, and can't say any more. The project is top secret for now. :P

Great work man and all the best wishes for its success:)

i never really liked doom64, it was ok. had good graphics. i never really like the N64 system. had only a few games i liked.

Resident Evil 2 was the best N64 game. Oddly it was also the last RE game to be much fun at all.

DooM64.....yeah -- it had new demon sprites, some that looked like shit compared to the originals like the Cacodemon but the ones they kept basicly the same were nice looking (ie: Cyberdemon, Imp). New weapon/item/power up sprites, new wall textures, sounds, the pentagon lazer gun. DooM64 is a good game, not the best N64 game, but then again it was one of the first 10 made.
Oh yeah, I must add DooM64 has one of the best intro movies EVER!

Coopersville said:

HAHAHhahHAHhahHAHHhahHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Doom64 had it's share of bad points too,some of the sprites were disappointing as already mentioned and the music might not be to everybodies taste.Some of the maps also weren't great.BUT some of the maps were kickass and some of the architecture supurb.Overall it easily falls short of the PC versions but it was definitely worthwhile imo.

Sephiroth said:

i never really like the N64 system. had only a few games i liked.

Yeah, same here. I think it was that freaky controller that turned me away. I give Nintendo points for originality though.

I couldn't get into a console FPS if I tried. Console controllers just aren't designed for that sort of thing.

dsm said:
Quake 1's lame soundtrack

YOU DIE. NOW.

Liam said:
HAHAHhahHAHhahHAHHhahHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I second that, heh. It's fucking hilarious, especially in the end when the camera floats up looking down and you can see the papers, er, monsters.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dsm said:
Quake 1's lame soundtrack
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU DIE. NOW.

/Me presses the barrels of his double barreled shotgun against nuno's nose and tightens his finger on the trigger.

Like I said, there oughta be a law against making music tracks which basically sounds the same through +6 minutes, uhh i mean +3 minutes.
Fucking boring and only good for building a freaky atmosphere (but it could even have been better!). The Quake1 tracks had no real melody to them except perhaps the Quake theme track, which btw had a horrible, artificial sounding "guitar" riff.
It's a freakin' enigma to my why NIN din't just record like 1 minute of a track and then just let it loop throughout the level - the result would've been the same.

Hmm, what was that intro about (you can tell me, there's no way that I'm ever gonna buy an N64 just to get Doom64).

The sampled and compressed sound in the opening guitar of Quake was intentional, and dammit I like it.

Ambient sound should be a lot more interactive, not just a quiet random conglomeration of sounds.

Doom64 fucking ROCKED, so long as you were good with the analog stick. Most people that haven't used them can only push them all the way then let go, creating really jagged input. Try a few racing games with one and get really graceful with the pressure and they're decent for FPS games, but still pale in comparison to how good they could be.

PS2 controller. Replace useless right analog stick with trackball for freelook. Use digital crosspad like WASD.

Quite frankly, at this point in time, I don't know why Doom64's rom hasn't been completely disassembled. It sure would be handy. AFAIK Edge is the only port that allows you to use colors outside of the original 256 but even then it only allows you to add another 256. =/

deadnail said:

Doom64 fucking ROCKED, so long as you were good with the analog stick. Most people that haven't used them can only push them all the way then let go, creating really jagged input. Try a few racing games with one and get really graceful with the pressure and they're decent for FPS games, but still pale in comparison to how good they could be.

Yep play Mario Kart 64,that game is a masterpiece and great practice for the analog stick.

DooM 64 rules. Mario Kart 64 rules. Super Mario 64 rules. Hell most games on the 64 rule. 'cept for Cruisin' USA and World. They SUCKED.

Quake soundtrack also is good. I like that kind of music, it is all glomy and dark sounding...kinda freaky...

And if you don't like it then that's your cake.

Doom64 should've had at least some metal music in it for me to like it - I hate ambient-only soundtracks in an fps. It needs something to fit the mood of combat.
I hate when I'm fighting a dozen monsters in a rather large room and all I hear for a background tune is low, ambient sounds where there should've been something a little more "exciting".

The only music in Doom64 I liked was the theme and the intermission music. Oh yeah and I liked the menu music too - the only ambient track in that game that actually pleased me slightly.

Come on Dsm. Dooms music on the PC was way to happy! I just wanted to start dancing everytime i heard the music in some levels :P I thought that everyone here hated Nintendo??? Sure some Monsters in Doom64 looks really horrible but isn't it what it is supposed to be? Not cute monsters but evil and ugly are cool...

Ultimate Demon said:

Come on Dsm. Dooms music on the PC was way to happy! I just wanted to start dancing everytime i heard the music in some levels :P

Heh. I just can't help gettin' down to the intermission music.

I remember playing Doom64 a year or so back and as I recall, it ruled.
The weapons all look nice being redrawn and all (especially the Plasma Rifle), and the enemies look nice as well, if a bit odd (remember the Cacodemon?).
I personally liked the "ambient sounds" soundtrack. I would prefer that over some dumbass, generic, heavy-metal soundtrack any day. I've always thought that ambient sounds, instead of music, helped build up the tension in the game.
So there.

the_Danarchist said:

Heh. I just can't help gettin' down to the intermission music.

EVERYBODY!

da da da da da da da da da da da da DA

da da DA da da da DA da da da DA da DA da DA

da da DA da da da DA da da da DA da DA da DA da

bum BUM bum bum BUM bum bum

da da da DA

da da da DA

DA DA da....

what i hated about the n^$ was that the bond game got so much hype. i thought it was a terrible game. it would have sucked had it been out for the PC. i think it did well cause it was one of a few FPS out for the n64 at the time. however i did like the turok games( 3 sucked, but 1 & 2 rocked)

Weedster said:

EVERYBODY!

da da da da da da da da da da da da DA

da da DA da da da DA da da da DA da DA da DA da

da da da DA

da da da DA

DA DA da....

/me dances

Sephiroth said:

what i hated about the n^$ was that the bond game got so much hype. i thought it was a terrible game. it would have sucked had it been out for the PC. i think it did well cause it was one of a few FPS out for the n64 at the time. however i did like the turok games( 3 sucked, but 1 & 2 rocked)

I quite liked Goldeneye and Turok 1&2 but imo these games (especially Turok) were two of the main things that convinced me how good Doom was.The problem is you can never really get in to a rhythm or flow like you can with Doom.One,there's not enough monsters on screen at anyone time.Two,the analogue stick is restrictive enough for Doom but when you have look/aim up 'n' down also it slows the game down to a stand still.
On the subject of music,I never play with the music volume up,I could never listen to the same music over and over,that would drive me even more insane:~What's wrong with the Hi-Fi?

dsm said:

Hmm, what was that intro about (you can tell me, there's no way that I'm ever gonna buy an N64 just to get Doom64).

This is the Doom64 intro, the screen fades in to the sound of combat, there are mancubi all around with marines running around. There's a cyberdemon shooting a marines and arachnotrons an top of what appear to be buildings shooting at the marines. After the camera rotates around some of the buildings be come up behind a marine who is comitting suicide by running towards a cyberdemon. This dude gets turned inside out with a rocket, the camera then zooms out of between the buildings and gets a view like that of GTA 2 showing the player that the buildings were actually the words Doom64. I think it was pretty cool, mostly because there was violence happening everywhere.

Ultimate Demon said:

Come on Dsm. Dooms music on the PC was way to happy! I just wanted to start dancing everytime i heard the music in some levels :P I thought that everyone here hated Nintendo??? Sure some Monsters in Doom64 looks really horrible but isn't it what it is supposed to be? Not cute monsters but evil and ugly are cool...

I agree that it's happy by todays standards - Doom 3's music should be far darker and freakier, but the Doom 1 music was better in the combat situations.
Oh yeah, and the Doom1 intermission music rocks - I love that badass marine feel to it.
And no, not ALL Doom 1's music was happy - most of e2 and e3 had some really cool ambient music - especially e2m2 and e2m7/e3m7.
Doom 2's music, however, was mostly crap and I hear that Bobby Prince was inspired by NIN? Well, that's probably one of the reason why most of Doom 2's music tracks sucked.

The best ambient music I've heard since Doom is surprisingly from RtCW - the crypt music is far better than any of that shit in Quake1.
As for the monsters: Yeah, they should look evil and cool, but there are limits to HOW ugly they should be - they should be 'cool ugly', not 'ugly ugly'.

Does anyone know of a place to download the intro for DooM64? That sounded really awesome. I've gotta see it.