Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Walked into my house yesterday...

and found a Wii U in my living room. My step dad was thinking of getting one but was quite surprised that he got one so soon. Only played around with it a little bit and it's not a bad little console. I like the new gameplay element of being able to look around with the gamepad and have only played with Nintendo land. I think the game pad has a fairly weak battery (considering I played on it a little bit today when it was charged this morning but this is probably due to software update). Anyone else got one yet? What's your opinion on it?

kristus said:

Pretentious twat.

I didn't mean to come across as pretentious, sorry. Just wanted to know if anyone else had one and their opinions on it.

I think it's a pretty cool concept, though as of now none of the concepts seem to have made full use of its potential. As of now, it's a slightly bulkier (but lighter) tablet-camera gaming pad.

Springy said:

I didn't mean to come across as pretentious, sorry. Just wanted to know if anyone else had one and their opinions on it.

It wasn't referred to you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't have one, and I've never owned a Wii, either. But the virtual marketplace (where you can buy classic Nintendo games) seems like it would make it a worthwhile purchase for that alone.

Question: Is there a WiiDoom? I think that might be fun...

I don't have one, but I'd not be adverse to owning one - probably would want the catalogue of games to flesh out before really considering it though. Might find it gets hit with the Wii's problem of being treated predominantly as a "family" console and not having many in-depth games. I think Microsoft are trying to move in a similar direction with SmartGlass, so the industry reckons there's some legs in the small screen/big screen idea at least!

I like it as a social gathering type thing, because too many games are geared towards loners with internet handles. you can't really grab a few beers and sit around the tv playing dead space 3.

I think as a console, the Wii U is very well-designed. As a competitor in the marketplace, though, I don't think it's going to be very successful. I don't blame Nintendo for this, but rather, the fact that the game industry is so afraid of innovation. That's not entirely without good reason, too. Anytime you stray from the old standbys, it usually ends in disaster. So the problem, as I see it, is that game developers won't utilize the hardware to its full potential, for fear of breaking their tried-and-true formulas.

I point this out in contrast to the original DS. Everyone thought it'd be a gimmicky failure, too, but after a while, the console really came into its own as game developers grew more and more willing to take risks and use the hardware in novel and interesting ways. Of course, handheld games are cheaper to make, so there's less overall risk involved, which is why I think the DS could be successful whereas the Wii U will not.

Justince said:

Gimmicky junk.

I think the multiple-display core design will do more to detract from the experience than enhance.

40oz said:

I like it as a social gathering type thing, because too many games are geared towards loners with internet handles. you can't really grab a few beers and sit around the tv playing dead space 3.

DS3 got coop. Me and my friends used to play God of War together, even though that game has no multiplayer of any kind. We would share playing time while enjoying each other's company.

AndrewB said:

I think the multiple-display core design will do more to detract from the experience than enhance.

What experience? That's a rather broad and generalized statement? If you've got action going on on your gamepad and more action on the screen, then yeah, but that'd be a terrible way to design a game. If, however, the gamepad say, shows your inventory or shows your map, and the main action is on the main screen, then it's easier to glance down than have to stop the game to go to a menu to view that stuff. Or what if you're playing multiplayer? You could have a completely different screen for each player, which has all kinds of functionality.

This is exactly what I was talking about - it's hard for people to think outside the box, to see the potential and not rely on standard gaming tropes.

kristus said:

DS3 got coop.

I know you don't care for Dead Space as a singleplayer game, so you might think differently. But out of all the games that could be a riot in coop, Dead Space just isn't one of them. I don't know what Visceral are trying to do by shoehorning multiplayer modes into the games since the second one.

DoomUK said:

I know you don't care for Dead Space as a singleplayer game, so you might think differently. But out of all the games that could be a riot in coop, Dead Space just isn't one of them. I don't know what Visceral are trying to do by shoehorning multiplayer modes into the games since the second one.

From what I've read, it really sounds like they're making a serious effort with it this time. One of the preview testings I've read claimed that the co-op was more fun than the single player mode in DS3.

geekmarine said:

This is exactly what I was talking about - it's hard for people to think outside the box,

Fuck thinking outside the box. At least in terms of hardware. Nintendo is trying to reinvent the wheel into some octagonal or triangular variety. Nobody seems to notice that there's a severe shortage of high-quality, long-lasting, solid round wheels.

Surely there are great games, even game genres, that have yet to be invented because nobody can bear the risk. The problem is that nobody is picking from the yet-to-be-tried-for-no-apparent-reason awesome ideas. They're only picking the yet-to-be-tried-for-a-damn-good-reason crappy ideas.

Wii U has amazing potential to be a really fucking awesome system, but likely it will never be realized.

I want a D&D type game for it. Person with tablet is DM, everyone else roleplays whatever story the DM chooses. With randomized dungeons as well as the DM being able to modify layout at will and add traps and add/change/remove monsters wouldn't be that hard to pull off in a tile based environment. This would be basically the best fucking game ever, but it will never happen.

DoomUK said:

Maybe because they saw how well co-op went with other horror games, like Resident Evil and F.e.a.r.? /s

Anyway, I haven't actually placed anything past Dead Space 1 and F.e.a.r. 2, so I can't really speak from experience.

You switch to decaf or something, Justince?

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Nintendo's planned first-party titles dictated what the console would look like. This dating back to the days when Miyamoto was literally shitting gold every financial quarter. Yes, literally.

I thought the Nintendo DS was going to be a flash-in-the-pan gimmick, too. And boy was I wrong. Granted, Nintendo has gone to market with some gimmicks that ended up flopping (*cough* VirtuaBoy *cough*), but doing weird things with hardware is kind of what they do. I'm still on the fence about the WiiU tablet thinger, and cautiously suspicious of motion controls in general.

People forget that this is just Nintendo as usual.

schwerpunk said:

I don't have one, and I've never owned a Wii, either. But the virtual marketplace (where you can buy classic Nintendo games) seems like it would make it a worthwhile purchase for that alone.

Question: Is there a WiiDoom? I think that might be fun...

No but it would've been nice. We had a wii but I only really used it for VC and was disappointed at the lack of Doom64, Duke64 and Quake64 (I waited a long time for them to come out on there but it never happened). Time Splitters 4 was slated for a wii release but never happened either but I hope that (if it is actually being made like they announced) it will come to the wii U. I like the concept of ZombiU's game play I don't have it though but a friend told me that one person can control the survivor, whilst the other can use the game pad to spawn zombies across the map.

40oz said:

Pretty much this... it's also the reason I purchased a Wii. There's no drinking game like a Wii drinking game, I tell ya.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo and appreciate their loyalty to their "big name" franchises like Star Fox and Mario, etc. The fact that they still seem to embrace and encourage multiplayer gaming that involves equal parts fun and skill is something I openly support. It's guaranteed to have a solid assortment of SP and MP games, so if I were to buy a new console (unlikely), it'd probably be this one.

But yeah, the multi-display thing is not up my alley at all.

So I'm half-and-half on it, basically. Hope it turns out awesome.

The games seem quite fun and OK, and who knows, the multi display thing might be neat, though I don't know of anyone offhand who'd be willing to play with this kind of stuff, which kind of kills it. Regardless, the things I see in games like the various games in Nintendo Land are really neat, even if they aren't even the most unique or complex ideas. They seem implemented just right to be really fun. I haven't scoped out other titles though, so I don't know how much people are using these new concepts yet. heh

I'd probably like it though. it sounds neat.

schwerpunk said:

You switch to decaf or something, Justince?

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Nintendo's planned first-party titles dictated what the console would look like. This dating back to the days when Miyamoto was literally shitting gold every financial quarter. Yes, literally.

I thought the Nintendo DS was going to be a flash-in-the-pan gimmick, too. And boy was I wrong. Granted, Nintendo has gone to market with some gimmicks that ended up flopping (*cough* VirtuaBoy *cough*), but doing weird things with hardware is kind of what they do. I'm still on the fence about the WiiU tablet thinger, and cautiously suspicious of motion controls in general.

People forget that this is just Nintendo as usual.

Like I pointed out, though, the DS was successful because developing games for the DS is cheaper than developing games for a console. This meant that developers were more willing to take chances and experiment. No one's gonna wanna dump a load of cash into developing a Wii U game that makes use of the hardware in new and innovative ways only to risk the game flopping.