Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dimmer

Doom III vs UNREAL 2

What is the main for deathmatch - Doom 3 beauty shadows or Unreal 2 absolutely real physics ?

Real-time shadows aren't very important for deathmatch. Yeah, theoretically you could spot an opponent by their shadow creeping up on the walls, etc, etc. But how many times is that going to happen in the game ? And even then, DM is not about finding your opponent - it's about eliminating them.

I don't know if realistic physics can contribute anything to DM. In any event, Doom III is going to have 'realistic' physics as well, though we haven't seen any of that so there's no way to say if it's up to par with Unreal 2.

Judging from the fact that id are focusing on singleplayer for Doom 3, I'd say that Unreal 2 is probably better in deathmatch than Doom 3.

But I could be wrong, and id might as well be able to create kickass multiplay for Doom 3.

dsm said:

Judging from the fact that id are focusing on singleplayer for Doom 3, I'd say that Unreal 2 is probably better in deathmatch than Doom 3.

But I could be wrong, and id might as well be able to create kickass multiplay for Doom 3.

You maybe mean Unreal Tournament 2003 and not Unreal2. Unreal2 is only focused on singelplayer and very little Multiplayer...

This is going to be tricky, I remember ways back months before Q3A came out,Q3A was all the talk of the forums, High expectations,Nothin
but high expectations. And because of the near failier of "EPIC's" UNREAL, not alot people was really concerned about "UNREAL TOURNEMENT's" coming. But after when both games hit shelves, I notice
alot of changes of the opinions of the overall FPS community. At 1st,It was alotta OHHHHH's and AHHHHHHH's about Q3A's new graphics and new "Curve Surfaces" an whatnot, but after you got past the graphics, Q3A didn't have anything more to offer. UNREAL TOURNMENT on the other hand completely "SHOCKED" everybody! Including me. UT came in the underdog with it's new Style,Inovation,alot more Loud Brighter Colors,Fancier and larger Indoor/Outdoor Level Designs,Improved Online
Interface, probably the "BEST EVER" in AI programing for BOT's ever done on a FPS, Bots that can fight along side you,fight for themselves,as well against you,and pretty damn challenging too. And the game "STILL" had alot more to offer. All those differnent game modes you can play, single(with bots) or mulitplayer(online) But I think one of the biggest reasons why UT beat Q3A for FPS of the year is because it's high powered "SOFTWARE RENDERING" technology. You can run the game on all the low-end systems,as well proform great on the strong high-end systems,(HELL!! YOU DON"T EVEN NEED A 3D ACCELERATED CARD TO PLAY UT!!!)And because of that,more people was able to buy and play UT more than they can play Q3A. As on Q3A,id's attitude is that you either play it OUR way(High-end system,$400 gamecard)or don't bother buying it. And it looks like id is going to pull the same STUNT with DOOM3. SUPERIOR GRAPHICS(Needs top of the line system,$$$ game card)or don't bother!! And not offer much else. UNREAL 2,is going to take all the inovative concepts and style from UT,Add and upgrade on it and pull out another WINNER. Q3a had the better graphics than UT (Even I will vouch for that!)But,at the end of the finsh-line of FPS of the year war,Q3A's superior graphics DIDN"T EVEN MATTER,did it?

So, I predict,(IMO,right dsm?(;P) The shooter of the year is going to be the battle between UNREAL 2,DUKENUK"EM FOREVER,and Maybe 2 or more
other shooters. And DOOM3 is going to get the award for YEAR's BEST GRAPHIC TECHNOLOGY,but not best FPS. MY IMO......

As on Q3A,id's attitude is that you either play it OUR way(High-end system,$400 gamecard)or don't bother buying it. And it looks like id is going to pull the same STUNT with DOOM3. SUPERIOR GRAPHICS(Needs top of the line system,$$$ game card)or don't bother!!

Not true. Doom even runs in a Geforce 1.

I don't think Doom 3's going to be an "sp Q3A" - the id guys have been out checking public opinion after the release of Q3A so they have a pretty good idea at what people want. Moreover, the next game isn't just every id game, it's DOOM dammit. id would be stupid not to at least try and make an awesome experience out of this game - I don't think they're that stupid.

id has also seen quite a few new hires since Q3A. It indicates that the new game is darn complex, but it *could* also indicate that they need more people to reach deadlines, giving them more time to actually add some new gameplay to the game.

And finally, I don't think John Carmack wanted to do a new Doom game if he didn't have a really great idea on how to make it live up to its predecessors.

I for one am confident that Doom 3 will be a better experience than any of the three Quakes, but will it live up to the older Doom games?
I doubt it - but you'll never know.

About this thing about which will be greater: I have always preferred the more modern-day design of Doom to Unreal's concept - I've seen concept sketches from Unreal 2 and frankly, they don't excite me all that much, and let's not talk about weapons.
Unreal 2 could of course become a better game than Doom 3 and all, but I will always remain a hardcore Doomer, merely because of the concept - nothing beats Doom's concept imo.

To Zaldron: Oh it will!? On a GF1? That's good to read,But will it run on it's full beauty,full splander, OR WILL YOU HAVE TO TURN OFF ALOT OF CERTAIN FEATURES TO KEEP IT FROM RUNNING LIKE A SLIDE SHOW?! (>:P)

To dsm: I'm not sure what your saying when you say "modern-day design of Doom". Are you talking about classic DooM,or DooM3? If your talking about classic DooM,And the programers that created JDOOM,and DOOM LEGACY then "DAMMIT!!! I'm RIGHT THERE WITH YOU ON THAT! GOD BLESS THOSE PEOPLE WHO MADE O'L DOOM LOOK AND PLAY BETTTER THAN IT EVER HAD...!!!!

But if your talking about DOOM3, I think those first pics id showed(characters,levels designs) everyone weren't actual pics off DooM3,but just Tessers on how the new graphic techs of their new engine going to look and proform. Don't think for 1 minute I'm dissmissing D3 oppose to the other FPS greats that are comming. I hope my pridition proves wrong,and D3 will standout on top of them all.

Example of my idea of modern-day design: The leaked image of a former human soldier (unless it's an NPC getting turned into something nasty), shows that he's wearing modern-day camouflage army pant - in the old Doom games, (former) human soldiers wore army paints, just not with camouflage. That combined with the basic weapons design (old-fashioned by todays standards - but a GREAT foundation) is one of the things which I like better than almost any other game concept.

I like the more realistic look of the armour in the Macworld video, although I find that it looks a *bit* too clumpsy. The army pants is the main thing about the design, but I also liked the leather-like combat gloves in the old games - hope that the marine wears them in the new game as well.

About the general concept: You fight demons in Doom (some people regard them as demon-like aliens - I regard them as actual demons) - in Unreal it's just another bunch of aliens.
Demons are the perfect enemy, they are pure evil and in a way, they're responsible for all that's bad - time to give some payback for the September 11 attacks, yeeeeeeeeeehaw!

Does Unreal2 have smth like DooM3's bummapping and real time shadows? Or its just another shit-fps with more polygoned models/levels ?

zzz said:

Does Unreal2 have smth like DooM3's bummapping and real time shadows? Or its just another shit-fps with more polygoned models/levels ?

no, what sets them apart is their physics engine.

Well it's actually like this: their physics is the main thing competing against doom's lighting, and their lighting will probably be good but not revolutionary, same goes for doom3's physics. They equal eachother out. Then again I'm just comparing one aspect of a game to a completely different one.

orion said:

no, what sets them apart is their physics engine.

Well it's actually like this: their physics is the main thing competing against doom's lighting, and their lighting will probably be good but not revolutionary, same goes for doom3's physics. They equal eachother out. Then again I'm just comparing one aspect of a game to a completely different one.

Well as Zaldon said: nobody has seen enough of either game to make a sound judgement on how good the physics in either title will be. The same goes for the lighting as well. We've seen some of what the engine powering Doom 3 is capable of in videos and still photos, but that does not necessarily reflect what will be in the game. Same with unreal 2, and UT 2003: I've seen screenshots, but they aren't necessarily representative of what the final release games will be like.

tsareppsun said:

To Zaldron: Oh it will!? On a GF1? That's good to read,But will it run on it's full beauty,full splander, OR WILL YOU HAVE TO TURN OFF ALOT OF CERTAIN FEATURES TO KEEP IT FROM RUNNING LIKE A SLIDE SHOW?! (>:P)

There is a separate rendering engine of obviously lower quality. My point is, there's full scalability. And besides you just can't call a Geforce3 a state-of-the-art piece of hardware anymore, let alone in half a year or so.

Amanichen said:

Well as Zaldon said: nobody has seen enough of either game to make a sound judgement on how good the physics in either title will be. The same goes for the lighting as well. We've seen some of what the engine powering Doom 3 is capable of in videos and still photos, but that does not necessarily reflect what will be in the game. Same with unreal 2, and UT 2003: I've seen screenshots, but they aren't necessarily representative of what the final release games will be like.

Didn't flathead have a leaked little preview of Unreal2? Besides, you can judge doom 3's lighting from the videos, and you can judge unreal 2's from the screenshots, I mean it's easy to see Doom3 will own Unreal2 when it comes to lighting.

I have little doubt that Doom 3 will own Unreal 2 in terms of atmosphere, but we have no chance in predicting every other aspect of the two games.
Personally, Unreal 2's heavy NPC-influenced gameplay doesn't sound immediately appealing to me - that game sounds like it's moving too much in the direction of an adventure/RPG game (not a bad thing, but I have my own preferences), but it might as well manage to appeal to me too.
I know that the Doom weaponry already appeals to me more than Unreal's usual weapons, but they are adding lots of new weapons to U2 including a shotgun and it could turn out that id have designed the Doom 3 weapons in a way which is less appealing to me (if they don't have the right feel - Quake1's weapons had a feel to them I didn't like).

But I think it's likely that in the end, there will be two seperate groups of people - one for Unreal 2 and one for Doom 3.

Play Halo. Run a few people down in a Warthog. Physics actually affect gameplay, shadows don't.

What is the main for deathmatch - Doom 3 beauty shadows or Unreal 2 absolutely real physics ?

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a lot of people here say that Doom 3 is strictly Single Player and that ID will probably not have DM or something to that effect. Maybe a DM add-on or something....we don't know...

deadnail said:

Play Halo. Run a few people down in a Warthog. Physics actually affect gameplay, shadows don't.

And have you tried dm+shadows already?

Besides UT2k3's physics are just used for death sequences. Watching a guy die is important, but not the actual fun.

Zaldron said:

And have you tried dm+shadows already?

Besides UT2k3's physics are just used for death sequences. Watching a guy die is important, but not the actual fun.

Watching people die isn't fun! It's funny!
/me shoots Zaldron and watches him fall
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Best fun I've had in years!
/me goes on a shooting spree

/Me sneaks up on BBG and hammers two military knives through both of BBG's hands, putting an end to the killing spree.

You wanna give the politicians an excuse to ban FPSs you worthless cocksucker??
;-)

Ultimate Demon said:

You maybe mean Unreal Tournament 2003 and not Unreal2. Unreal2 is only focused on singelplayer and very little Multiplayer...

Actually, Unreal 2 has already been officially announched as a SP-based-only FPS game. There won't be multiplaying features included at all.

Both offer interesting changes in strategy, which again shows that this isn't a competition between the two games. It's hard not to put the two agaist each other, but they really are two very different games with different focus'.

With Doom3, fast shape recognition, and keeping track of your orientation and position reletive to lights will both be big factors in seeing and not being seen.

With Unreal's phyiscs licenced physics engine, they can get right in perfect gameplay around falling, tumblind objects, reflection, etc.

About Dooms physics, I doubt Doom3's physics will be on par with Unreals. Unreal is not only not hampered with doing complicated, innovative rendering code, but they're actually licencing their physics from a company that has put a LOT of time into doing just that physics engine. Id will be (apparently) builing their own from scratch. It's a matter of time and resources, and id has placed theirs on atmosphere and other aspects of gameplay. Of course, it could be argued that the Lithtech engine is done by an outside company, and any developer using it would be using an inferior engine (compared to id's). The physics in Doom3 should be nice, but I still don't think they'll compare with Unreal's.

dsm said:

/Me sneaks up on BBG and hammers two military knives through both of BBG's hands, putting an end to the killing spree.

You wanna give the politicians an excuse to ban FPSs you worthless cocksucker??
;-)

Bah, I'll blame it on the music I listen to ;)

bigbadgangsta said:

Bah, I'll blame it on the music I listen to ;)

buy some britney spears cd's, I wanna see what she says when she has lawsuits up her ass.

I think that both Doom3 and Unreal2 will create the largest fps communites and such. Doom3 does look incredible.. but so does Unreal2. I wouldn't be surprised if Unreal2 looked better than Doom3 in some areas and vica-versa. They're both next generation games, sporting brand new technology, and until we actually play them, we can only speculate which game will be better in ones mind. IMO the orignal unreal had the best graphics ever for it's time.. far surpassing any advancements made by the next generation q3a engine. Q3A had incredible geometry, but little of anything else that the older generation unreal didn't have.. (also unreal had tons of detailed textures, whereas in q3a, there were nearly none).

Fusion said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Unreal2 looked better than Doom3 in some areas and vica-versa.

I don't think they could make much cheesier-looking models than Doom3's, so hopefully Unreal2 will excel there.

Lüt said:

I don't think they could make much cheesier-looking models than Doom3's, so hopefully Unreal2 will excel there.

Wtf are you talking about???
I don't see any cheesy models anywhere in the Doom 3 footage.