Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Does someone have the newest version of map04 (Pure Hate)?

Thanks for everyone's bug reports. I'll post a new version this weekend.

j4rio: I thanked you for putting up my demo, but thanks again. :) You have many more subscribers than me. I don't have strong enough internet for youtube, I just upload the occasional video from my work computer, so I'm not involved in the youtube Doom community yet. :(

Also, I'm sorry but you'll have to use prboom-plus to play degrassi. Why won't you use it? I also hate how the yellow skull cavern looks in GL.

Heh, I haven't noticed.

Well, it's not that much of a problem with me personally, but I believe it's not that unusual of a possibility that player wants to use opengl ports perferably, and this kind of seems like unnecessary and avoidable discrimination.

I don't have latest pure hate, but iirc there was only added red key to it and nothing else changes. You can place it on that empty column on right side.

Neat. C'mon somebody add some midi to that map. :)

If you can think of some more interesting way to use layout of ending encounter of map 12 for uv, give it a try, because I think it's rather poor compared to rest of map as it is now (if it won't work, nothing happens and it can just be reverted back). Also, switch near mastermind is still possible to press from below. Also, bloody pit around last encounter is not set to damage player (unintended, I suppose).

Thanks for everyone's bug reports. I'll post a new version this weekend.

Can you keep a list of every single change/bugfix you'll make? It'll be easier to keep track of progress and notice if you by any chance forget something.

I can add a midi if I find one. Also I'm done with the difficulty fix on Damnation, but I agree with you that the difficulty on UV feels really unbalanced: the room with the first mastermind has barely any health for all the struggle you go through, and then the "final battle" room has a huge surplus of health. If anything I'd just add a megasphere or couple supercharges in the mastermind room and take out a bunch of medikits out of the final room, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn in altering an author's works...

Well darky is still around. I guess he isn't particularly interested in his maps here, so you can PM him.

j4rio said:

Can you keep a list of every single change/bugfix you'll make? It'll be easier to keep track of progress and notice if you by any chance forget something.

Sure. It also would have been easier if everyone gave me the textures they used and if there weren't endless map updates. :)))))))

Pure Hate update. Added music (Neo Steam by Strato) and put block lines around the cybie so he doesn't fly off the waterfall when you blast him.

Damnation update. Added difficulties, put block lines around one of the archies so he wouldn't get stuck when you shot him with a rocket, changed around/removed some health and ammo, and "updated" the final battle by replacing monsters and locking the player into the final arena. EDIT: darkreaver did give me the okay to alter his level around.

Doomherolandia update. Took out cybies from final room and replaced them with mass warping AVs. Didn't really test it out because I ran out of time today. I'm going to be away from my PC for the next few weeks so I won't be able to provide updates, so while I can check in on my laptop I won't have an editor... so hopefully everything is in order.

I've given it a quick check. in damnation you can get stuck in multiplayer due to getting locked up in last room and in dh there's one cyber stuck in dummy teleporter room.

in damnation you can get stuck in multiplayer due to getting locked up in last room

I don't think that's the case because as soon as the gate lowers, a warp opens up in the previous room that brings the other players to the finale.

in dh there's one cyber stuck in dummy teleporter room.

The cybie is there to stop the player from hopping in the exit. He warps when the lift raises to the top and since there are block monster lines around it, he's pretty much a sitting duck. Don't care if he stays or goes; I just wanted a way to stop the player from hitting all the switches and exiting.

dobugabumaru said:

I don't think that's the case because as soon as the gate lowers, a warp opens up in the previous room that brings the other players to the finale.

I haven't noticed it before. Eh, it's rather unobvious.

dobugabumaru said:

The cybie is there to stop the player from hopping in the exit. He warps when the lift raises to the top and since there are block monster lines around it, he's pretty much a sitting duck. Don't care if he stays or goes; I just wanted a way to stop the player from hitting all the switches and exiting.

Well, it fails to teleport in.

MAPXX - Thirpy-won
Author - Sir Gggmorkian Bellend the 3rd
Music - Please supply yore own farts and+ burps.
Comments: This is a map about the lice that have infested my nipples.

Author - Mr. Fartpoop
Alias - gggmarshmellowmork
Email - billgates@microsoft.com
Other wads - GGG's Super Monster Snugglethon & Big-Balled Imps 2
Comments: Hey guys! Oh, big gulps huh? All right!... Welp, see ya later!

I played two more maps today:

TWOBOX

The gameplay in this map is hindered by the massive, open spaces at the beginning. You fight a lot of Revenants here, but the only thing challenging about it is the lack of walls to block their homing missiles unless you head into another area and risk triggering more monsters. Revenants are not fun to face in open areas.

Also it's fairly predictable. If someone doesn't guess that all those raised platforms running along the outer walls are going to suddenly become occupied by Mancs and Arachnos, they haven't played any Doom map ever. The symmetrical monster deployment, which is IMO a common failing in Doom maps past and present, means you regularly have to re-fight the same battles, none of which engaged or challenged me.

The final battle in the arena is much more interesting. It's yet another mass battle against Revenants and Hell Knights, but it is different from the same types of fight present in nearly all other SF2011 and SF2012 maps because of its scale and the way the HKs are deplyed in a series of stepped platforms. The sheer amount of incoming Hell Knight fire is impressive and partly negates the player's need to fight back, since the Revenants in the middle are being constantly bombarded.

If there is a BFG in the map I missed it or skipped past it. This means tiring and repetitive slogs with the plasma rifle, rocket launcher and super shotty.

With great respect to the author, this was one of my least favourite SF2012 maps as I found it dull and uninspiring.

ANATHEMA

I simply cannot survive the starting room on UV. More playtesting is required, but I would rate its difficulty level as obnoxious rather than challenging. The number of monsters surpasses army level and effectively becomes a brown cloud of fireball-spitting death. Getting only a couple of shots out of the BFG is too harsh for me and I'd have liked more health bonuses. Getting more plasma means you activate dozens more Revenants. Surviving the massive battle at the start means you get to make progress.

I skipped down to the easiest difficulty level, something I have only ever done out of curiosity, and was surprised to receive double ammo. I would count this as essential; it's nowhere near as challenging as on UV, so thank you for implementing difficulty levels, but I was regularly running back for more ammo. I can't see how there would be a decent balance on UV where there is effectively half the ammo and 30% more monsters.

After battling for a quarter of an hour I was starting to get fatigued and the low difficulty level, while still tough, was irking me. I checked the automap and realised I'd discovered only about 10-15% of the entire map. A couple of IDDTs later and I had to call my brother to show him how immense the map was.

This map was very attractive with the metal-and-lava theme but not the hellish theme I would expect for a final map. While I thank the author sincerely for not making this an IoS map, there was honestly far too much time and effort put into this level and I cannot imagine wanting to sit down for 2 hours and play through it all.

Like Twobox, I regard this map to be defeated by its own size. Anathema was utterly superior to Twobox in the gameplay department, even if it was far too hard on UV, but both maps are not ones I particularly want to play again. That said, I do look forward to watching a playthrough on UV - I will probably be skipping through it though since it's probably going to be 30-40 minutes long, even for a speedrunner.

MAPXX - 15
Author - j4rio (dobugabumaru did secret exit sections)
Music - Psy - Gangnam style
Comments: It's a map.

Author - j4rio
Email - none
Other wads - none
Comments: I trolled aspirating mappers to alter their terrible maps to even more terrible maps and thus be responsible for existence of the ultimate terrible megawad which stands above all terrible megawads by miles. I successed spectacularly.

I've started working on some text for the megawad. This is just an alpha sample and can be rewritten. No offence will be taken if my writing is not good enough to be used.

I had to put something before map 30. Whatever else you can say about it, it is surely the most epic final map in any megawad:

You come now to the heart of darkness.

You emerge into a vast space where your footsteps give no echo. This is not the hell of flesh and blood that might have been expected. Instead, it is a place of fire and metal, where unforgiving columns rear around you and disappear into the dark. You know this is the last stop on this tour of destruction.

You feel as though something is overhead, something impossibly vast, leering down as you move deeper into its lair. This place is far from home, far from hope; an abomination against technology and progress, a mechanical abattoir so remote, so cursed by eons of butchery and false science that its existence is hidden from God.

There are so many rooms, so many corridors. It is a maddening labyrinth that may go on forever.

The screams of fallen heroes hang in the air. None of their prayers, none of their cries for help, no human sound uttered in this cybernetic nightmare have ever been heard by those who can do something about them. The death-screams of unknown heroes is a mist in the air. It oppresses your soul.

Can a place like this truly be destroyed?

Even as you check the energy count on your BFG, you know your task is hopeless. You step forward anyway. It may be hopeless, and nobody will ever know of your heroism, but you will die like a human being. You will show those bastards that humanity resists.

I must admit to having trouble writing something for map 31. I don’t “get” it. It’s like a 1994 map, which is presumably the intent, so I’ll need time for this. Any info from Gggmork about this map will be handy here.

Map 06, Trifling:

I really enjoyed this one. While largely symmetrical, the monster deployment provides engaging battles. There seems to be enough health and ammo throughout the map and I found the difficulty to be well-enough balanced to excite and entertain most of the time. The final arena was fun, capped by a highly unusual Pain Elemental and Cyberdemon combo. This is the first time I’ve seen Pain Elementals used en masse and it presented such an unusual problem I struggled to begin with. Very interesting.

Intermission text between maps 6 and 7:

You charge, screaming and bloody, through the holocaust of demons. BFG blasts carve a burning trail. Creatures of hell wail as they die. Their long existence is full of pain. Their only release is the suffering of others. You bring only more pain. Your spirit burns brightly. This torments your enemies more. They begin to attack one another. So much blood has already been shed in the name of senseless hatred.

Surely some greater force is protecting you from madness. The violence done to you, the butchery you have inflicted, all of this would have broken another human. Your mind is assailed by the blood tide you have spilled, yet something within you holds on.

There is blood in your eyes, in your mouth. Your armour is torn and blasted. You have overcome the worst the demons can throw at you… or so you imagine.

Your vision clears. Something gnaws at your memory. It is getting harder to think. At first you believe there is some cruel trick, that you have been thrown back to the time when you were new to this, new to the killing. A time when you might have been an ordinary man and not a monster.

There is something else in your head. Something new. Perhaps the force protecting you is not a force for good.

You cannot focus on this new thing. Your head is full of the sounds of carnage: wet sounds, screams, the splashing of blood. Whatever this new element is, you realise it is steadily gathering strength.

It sounds like laughter.

entertaining reads, but I feel like you're taking this a bit too seriously.

MajorRawne said:

I simply cannot survive the starting room on UV.

I don't know what to tell you except that you're likely not the target demographic for the map, if such a thing even exists.

MAP33 - Boom Town
Author - Eli "ProcessingControl" Cohen
Music - Gothic Deathmatch II Map 13. Probably by Mark Klem, maybe by David Shaw.
Comments: This is not only my first slaughtermap, but also a 2 hour speedmap. As you'd expect, it's nothing groundbreaking or particularly memorable, but it at least provides a few minutes of decent action. I was originally planning to improve the visuals, but I ran out of time, leaving the map as a big ugly box.
Thanks to Phml for improving the gameplay.

Author - Eli Cohen
Alias - ProcessingControl
Email - elic90@gmail.com
Other wads - The Central Core (It sucks though), Cave-Room, Castle of Fear, DoomHero85's Speedmap Session 001 (Map02), 32in24-11: Occupy Doomworld (Map37), Doom The Way id Did (E3M8), Urban Fire, Community Chest 4 (Map14), 32in24-12: IRON MAPPER (Map26), Interception (Map17, Map28, & Map31)
Comments: Doom is cool.

FINAL VERSION B: SF2012b.zip

Still using a prelim text file.

Changes after this post:

+ 15: removed chainsaw
+ 02: fixed sector 147
+ fixed woodf1/2 flat
+ removed duplicate patches (Archi's post)
+ 03: new version
+ 17: new version
+ 12: new version
+ 04: new version
+ 07: fixed automap and intermission name

Ribbiks said:

I don't know what to tell you...

Uhhhhm. How about...

uh...

YOU FAIL IT! YOUR SKILL IS NOT ENOUGH, SEE YOU NEXT TIME. BYEBYE!

j4rio said:

Uhhhhm. How about...

uh...

YOU FAIL IT! YOUR SKILL IS NOT ENOUGH, SEE YOU NEXT TIME. BYEBYE!

Lol, if he'd said that I would have thought he was an arrogant twat who doesn't listen to feedback. He doesn't come across like that.

Any further comments on the writing? I can tone it down, give it more of a sense of humour. Writing lots of 40K and particularly Warhammer fiction trains you to be darker and more serious in your depiction of hell. End of the day this is someone else's project and it's ok if the writing is not going to be used.

Problem is, you have posted exactly no feedback. You have just concluded you can't beat the beginning as it is and wrote a bunch of paragraphs about that fact. After playing that map at least 15+ times, I can do the beginning pretty much reliably and with little to no effort. Sorry, but if I were author of that map, the only thing I'd hint would be to try harder or stick to lower difficulties.

I don't care about intermission texts. The only ones I read were from killing adventure and that most likely isn't going to change.

j4rio said:

Problem is, you have posted exactly no feedback. You have just concluded you can't beat the beginning as it is and wrote a bunch of paragraphs about that fact.

You should read it again, your statements are not correct.

I have played map 30 again today and beaten the start room. My original feedback, which was not intended as derogatory, has been modified:

For me as a player, I still find the map way too hard on UV. Some of the other maps are also just above my skill set, but give the impression that I can beat some, most or all of them by improving my skill and learning the maps better. Hence "just" above my skill set.

Map 30, by contrast, is utterly festooned with monsters who attack en masse in numbers I haven't seen before. There are around 8,000 monsters in the map. While many of the battles have clearly had thought put into them, a lot of them are just massed Revenant attacks with Cyberdemons. I actually do not want to face some of the fighting again.

Also, given the map's utterly mind-bending size, I still think an hour to two hours is a good estimate for an average-to-good player completing the map for the first time. Obviously there is no way to confirm this until someone actually beats it on UV.

Finally, the map is so gigantic, all those battles against desperate odds begin to wear me down. The fighting isn't just tough or long-winded, it is without mercy and offers no quarter at all. Even if the map was a quarter of its size, there are parts of the map that are the hardest I've ever faced.

I don't need to apologise for providing feedback on the map. I respect that nobody has to care about what I've said and the map appears to be finished. It is somewhat annoying to be dismissed for pointing out what I perceive to be the weak points of the map.

HOWEVER.

In many ways this could be the most impressive map I've ever seen. Regardless of how long it takes to clear this epic map - and I don't give a flying shite about people who think 'epic' is over-used - many of the areas are so awesome in their scale that my manhood shrivels up and hides in disgrace.

At one point you emerge into a cavernous room with a stairway leading across lava to a distant, raised platform hosting one of the biggest Hell Knight attacks ever. My jaw just hit the floor. I loved the Minecraft-style arches leading into darkness. There are Archies and Revenants here but I had IDKFA and IDDQD enabled (and it still took about half an hour to clear the map, and I seem to have missed the entire lava canyon section).

Right near the end there is a small fort surrounded by what looks like the whole tenth legion of Hell. When you finally reach the top you get the unlimited BFG - just in time for the exit. I was playing the map out of sequence but I can tell you now, the unlimited BFG is needed much sooner, unless you possess insane skill that would make Tatsurdcacocaco look like an incompetent ponce.

This will surely rank among the greatest and most outstanding maps ever made... I just wish I was one of the few people that it is apparently aimed at.

So, the plus points:
* An insane work of art
* Consistent theme of metal-and-lava
* Unbelievable that this map could ever be built and not crash Doom Builder
* The video of someone clearing this on UV will be the best video on Youtube

The minus points:
* Way too hard, as in it makes Hell Revealed on Nightmare look like a pussy
* Way too big
* The music really got on my tits after 15-20 mins.

Whether people choose to agree with me or not... who gives a shit? The map is clearly finished and it is down to the Doom community to judge it.